Victoria's Proposed Sewer Treatment

Ha ha! that's some funny "****" on the Turd hoochey Fever! I might tie up some TP ones to try out on the winters!

I can accept that sewage treatment is coming. We've been swimming in the political cesspool on it for years. My biggest beef is that when they build it that it will be built on dated technology. Why can't we use existing 21st century technology to recover some of the energy that is available. We will have to pay maintenance on this sucker. Why not recoup some dollars for that from by products from treatment.

Tip

Listen to you guys...... just a bunch of **** talkers. ;)

But seriously, any system is better than the current system in Victoria. I imagine Victoria would be all over building a closed loop system that was comparable to the best. Problem is, who's gonna pay for it? I doubt the feds are willing. I also bet there'd be lots of complaining if all our taxes needed to go up 20% to cover the fancy system......

You want to dance, you have to pay the band.

People in municipalities will have too unfortunately pay in taxes...

ya mean the same taxes we pay up island to dispose and maintain our sewers and outfall?

but i hear yas, it will be a large bill to get it up and running from the state that its in now... $600/yr increase in taxes in some areas?

Been away for awhile doing other things and forgot that I posted this one. Interesting to come back to 3 pages of varying opinions. I'm still in the camp of unless they deal with getting the real harmful stuff out of the effluent and find a proper way of dealing with it.....I think the money could be better spent. Everything *****, whales, fish, seal, sea lions and us too. BTW the sludge full of heavy metals will go to the Hartland landfill and leach out into local salmon bearing streams and then back into the ocean.

Profisher, I recommend you take a guided tour through Hartland Landfill and get some insight into the technology they use up there. This is a pretty modern landfill facility with liners and leachate collection system and biogas collection. I think you will be in for a big surprise what modern waste and wastewater technology looks like. That would immensely help you forming better informed opinions on all this and will probably help you sleep better when the big bill hits us all. There is nothing scarier than knowing little and reading all the media hype and uneducated people's opinions on this.

I've been up there Chris, not the tour though.. How many more years left in the landfill before they can't take anymore? I thought it was nearing the end....unless they are going to build a mountain.

Profisher, I recommend you take a guided tour through Hartland Landfill and get some insight into the technology they use up there. This is a pretty modern landfill facility with liners and leachate collection system and biogas collection. I think you will be in for a big surprise what modern waste and wastewater technology looks like. That would immensely help you forming better informed opinions on all this and will probably help you sleep better when the big bill hits us all. There is nothing scarier than knowing little and reading all the media hype and uneducated people's opinions on this.

What do you think the real issues are Chris? and solutions?

beemer

I see "our" real issues not so much with the proposed new infrastructure. It will be brand new, meet modern standards and, knowing CRD, often enough be over the top (golden plated mentality by CRD). There are certainly challenging tasks within this project as siting constraints and esthetics as nobody wants to see an unappealing wastewater treatment plant when entering the harbour on an cruise ship for instance. A challenge will be the trenchless installation of the inflow sewer underneath the harbour mouth. They could hit rock or who knows what down there while pipe jacking. Securing a suitable right-of-way for the sludge pipe to Hartland will not be easy as no one wants this thing in their backyard. The earthquake risk associated with these main pipelines seems low to me as I would expect them to use welded HDPE pipe which is very flexible and shock absorbent.

The real concern I have has more to do with the existing sewer infrastructure. Firstly, it was not built to drain to one central treatment site and therefore the costly struggle now to reroute and partly treat here and there. It would have been way smarter and cheaper to design this all in one sweep way back when there was land available and not every corner along the coast built-out. And secondly, the condition of our existing sewer infrastructure is not good. Our sewers leak all over the place, are underdesigned in places and for the purpose of draining to one treatment location often run into the wrong direction. All municipalities are hugely behind in catching up with this deteriorating infrastructure and because it's underground and you can't detect small defects easily like on roads, it has been conveniently ignored over decades. Greater Victoria could have easily needed a $1billion to fix the existing sewer system issues. So to me building a $1billion state of the art treatment system to achieve a high level of effluent quality seems hypocritial when you lose a good percentage of your raw sewage inflow through leaks on the way to your treatment facility. But not only losing sewage is a problem but also creating more sewage along the way through infiltration and inflow of originally clean rain or groundwater which becomes sewage as soon as it enters the sewer pipes through leaks. Therefore Victoria is currently generating way more sewage than it actually does and without addressing this the CRD will have to design and build a treatment plant that is way bigger than it would need to be if the sewers were in good shape. Bigger means more money out of our pockets. I am afraid that the CRD and the municipalities think they are done with the work after the new treatment system is in place and a lot of money has been spent and forget that they only addressed half of the issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back