VHF Radios

Wow...you guys are good. I will try that system. Makes sense to create a loop as opposed to a split. Both radios are ICOM...the new unit is the 422 and the old one I think is a 402.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Hey GLG I like that reply about the cable ends. The answer I got from Lowrance was just to protect from corrosion. If that helps any?[8D]

IMG_1445.jpg

quote:Originally posted by searun

Wow...you guys are good. I will try that system. Makes sense to create a loop as opposed to a split. Both radios are ICOM...the new unit is the 422 and the old one I think is a 402.

Searun
Hey Searun¡­
Are you trying to spice the ICOM 422 into the current wiring with the single RCA Plug? If you are, I believe the old radio 402 only has a data out (from the GPS) going to the data in (on the radio), and a ground! Which means you would only be using your red wire and its shield on the new radio? If you do like that that neither will be sending anything back to the GPS and but both should read and show the data. I don't know what kind of GPS, but am assuming the connection(S) on the GPS still has the wiring for NMEA (in and out)?

Personally, I would do this - the ICOM 422 should have "bare" wires. Hook the new radio up and make sure it works by itself, using all the wires and shields - should give you DSC positions on plotter!
Radio NMEA in + (red wire) to GPS NMEA / Data out
Radio NMEA in (red wire shield) to GPS NMEA / Data ground
Radio NMEA out + (white wire) to GPS NMEA / Data in
Radio NMEA out (white wire shield) to GPS NMEA / Data ground

After that attach the Old Radio (402). It has a single RCA plug. I don't know what kind of connection is on the GPS, but you can either splice in a RCA or just cut the existing one and splice it in to your "new" radio red wire. ICOM uses the inner wire as NMEA in (+) and the outer wire as NMEA out (-)
Radio NMEA in + to GPS NMEA / Data out
Radio NMEA in ¨ to GPS NMEA / Data ground

Oh, forgot!
quote:When a GPS receiver (NMEA0183 ver. 2.0 or 3.01) is connected, the transceiver indicates the current position data in seconds of accuracy.

A NMEA0183 ver. 2.0 or 3.01 (sentence formatters RMC,GGA, GNS, GLL) compatible GPS receiver is required.</u> Ask your dealer about suitable GPS receivers.

Is your GPS at least NMEA 0183 ver 2.0?
Hope this helps the cause? :)

Searun what make and model of GPS do you have?

Searun your Lowrance GPS has two comm. ports, with data in and data out on both

Com1 yellow wire data out
Com1 orange wire data in

Com2 blue wire data out
Com2 green wire data in

Bare wire is shield / signal ground

Icom m422
Red wire is data in
White wire is data out
No wire for shield / signal ground

Icom m402 this one has the RCA jack (what were they thinking)
Center post is data in
Outside is shield / signal ground

If it were my setup I would hook it up like this.

Com1 GPS yellow to m422 red
Com1 GPS orange to m422 white

Com2 GPS blue to m402 center post
GPS shield to m402 outside

You will need to make a RCA cable to plug into the radio.
RCA come in male and female, you will have to figure out what you need.

You will have to go into the system setup on the GPS to set up your comm. Ports.
Setup com1 for data in and out and com2 for data out only.

Hope this helps.
GLG

Tx GLG, I'll get my kid who is a wiring expert to follow your direction and see if we can get it working.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Tx GLG, I'll get my kid who is a wiring expert to follow your direction and see if we can get it working.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Back