VHF antenna_buying new

17 ft sea ranger

Had some problems on water last week with sending and receiving with my VHF. Had a look at the antenna and noticed some of the antenna wire coating dried and cracked in a couple of areas where it comes out of hardtop, so I figure it should be replaced. And recommendations on what to get as far as length, make, the firerglass or metal, etc. etc. Also where to buy.

I am guessing just the wire cant be replaced........???

As to just the wire, I doubt it. Not the type of equipment to screw around with as your life may depend on it. Longer is better. I live in WA, dunno about a vendor. www.westmarine.com has product recommendation articles

A replacement 8' Shakespeare antenna can be had for around $50 U.S. from Amazon. A much higher quality Digital brand antenna for around $160. The longer the better as height off the water is the biggest contributor to range (VHF is mostly line of sight). I bought Digital antennas from Amazon. They are fast shippers and the price is reasonable.

Common Shakespeare is a 5110 which I had and used for a while then upgraded to the 5225 XT. Much better antenna and increased distance.

Do a little research and see what you figure..

Cheers,

I recently put a Pacific Aerials 3 foot P6182 antenna on the roof of my Hourston. Fantastic performance. Very easy to install. Reasonable price.

VI radar in coombs is who i deal with

the key to all vhf hook ups is the solder on process from the wire to the antenna or the radio (dependant on which antenna you choose.) you can purchase the best antenna or radio on the market , if this connection is not correct your radio will be dodgy. The process is simple enough (read the instructions haha) If you are not comfortable soldering , get a pro to do the install .

beemer

the key to all vhf hook ups is the solder on process from the wire to the antenna or the radio (dependant on which antenna you choose.) you can purchase the best antenna or radio on the market , if this connection is not correct your radio will be dodgy. The process is simple enough (read the instructions haha) If you are not comfortable soldering , get a pro to do the install .

beemer
100percent agree. And no coiled up loops of extra wire tucked away. Shielding is only so good and less is more when it comes to antennas.

Back