Vancouver Harbour

Pangaea

Was out for a couple of hours yesterday in front of the pink apartment. Several shakers and one barely undersize. Fished 100 - 150'; most action at 100'. It felt fishy, but I had to leave to go skiing with my daughter - rough life huh?

quote:Originally posted by Pangaea

Was out for a couple of hours yesterday in front of the pink apartment. Several shakers and one barely undersize. Fished 100 - 150'; most action at 100'. It felt fishy, but I had to leave to go skiing with my daughter - rough life huh?

I wasn't out yesterday but I know someone who was and he was getting doubles and quads but they were all undersize, and it was more towards Spanish Banks. He had a few that were in the 20 to 24 inch range, lost a couple of larger and possibly legal fish to seals, and of course lots of shakers.

quote:
I wasn't out yesterday but I know someone who was and he was getting doubles and quads but they were all undersize, and it was more towards Spanish Banks. He had a few that were in the 20 to 24 inch range, lost a couple of larger and possibly legal fish to seals, and of course lots of shakers.

Gibbs Gypsy spoons in the 2 3/4 size and Coyote Spoons were all he was using.

I was using flasher/ hootchies (green/army truck and purple haze/ purple haze - both worked the same...) Call me a fool, but next time (Sunday?) I'm going to use 5" Tomic plugs. Their bigger size may deter some of the shakers. I hate to see those 16" fish hooked near the eye; their chance of survival can't be that great... No seals around Ambleside, but maybe thats because I wasn't catching as much as your friend:D

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

I was using flasher/ hootchies (green/army truck and purple haze/ purple haze - both worked the same...) Call me a fool, but next time (Sunday?) I'm going to use 5" Tomic plugs. Their bigger size may deter some of the shakers. I hate to see those 16" fish hooked near the eye; their chance of survival can't be that great... No seals around Ambleside, but maybe thats because I wasn't catching as much as your friend:D

I agree with your sentiments. Be prepared for waiting around quite a while for a bite on a 5 inch--particularly at this time of year...there aren't a lot of larger fish around. 50 feet back on the plugs minimum and move quite quickly...a 45 degree angle on the wire at least, or 3 MPH.

the 4 inch rigged as a slider have been producing for some anglers in Howe Sound.

From what I've heard the backside of Bowen in Tunstall, the Waterfall, Hutt, et all has been switched on for a while now. Hot depths are 110 to 160.

I'm wanting to get over there but the weather has been really wet or really cold.

Well, I was the third boat out there, stuck to the freighters and Jericho.

Lotsa shakers and some of the 20" variety. Pure hootchies.

One boat "lost" a crab trap, the second one this year.Don't usually watch my traps that close in the winter, but .....

quote:Originally posted by Bows Up

Well, I was the third boat out there, stuck to the freighters and Jericho.

Lotsa shakers and some of the 20" variety. Pure hootchies.

One boat "lost" a crab trap, the second one this year.Don't usually watch my traps that close in the winter, but .....

Yeah, it's ridiculous about the crab traps.

What's your hot hootchy been?

I know one guy that's using a purple haze and he's doing well.

Blue speckle glo body is a perennial fave. Darned if I know the number.

Did see one tug run out yesterday pretty close to the markers, maybe he nailed the trap.

Bugger losing gear.

quote:Originally posted by Bows Up

Blue speckle glo body is a perennial fave. Darned if I know the number.

Did see one tug run out yesterday pretty close to the markers, maybe he nailed the trap.

Bugger losing gear.

yeah...I know the feeling.

That's an interesting hootchy...always worked well for me on the West Coast---but not here.

Try running spoons---- no flash---a bit larger spoons and moving a bit faster...the water is pretty clean at this time of year and when you get a legal fish---it's a treat!

I run plastic 'til its time to start fishing south of Bowen. Next trip maybe I'll take a walk on the wild side and go 2 spoons and a dummy in-line Delta flasher I've been meaning to experiment with.

My fav eating fish of all, including sockeye.

quote:when you get a legal fish---it's a treat!

No offense but whats the point then? Mortality on released small chinook salmon is about 30% - so how many do you kill to get one legal fish?

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

quote:when you get a legal fish---it's a treat!

No offense but whats the point then? Mortality on released small chinook salmon is about 30% - so how many do you kill to get one legal fish?

That's the idea behind the larger spoons and moving faster, you're NOT hooking the shakers!

I use Coyotes in the 5/0 or the Coyote 4/0 in with a larger 5/0 hook.

I got my hands on some Dymaras which I put 5/0 Curve Point Mustads on and you rarely get a shaker on them.

well good I wish all winter spring fisherman did the same, but too many guys get a hard on over just catching a lot of fish, be them legal or not.

Here's a fishing report...

I headed down to Granville Island for lunch and ended up seeing Bonnie Lee Charters return from his trip.</u>

His guests were pleased as punch!

He had 3 fish, 14.3 lbs, 10.5 lbs, and 9lbs. Like WOW! Those fish were immaculate and bright chrome!

I talked to the guide, Kevin, and he said he was fishing in outer English Bay. Overall, he said he had rods in the water 4 hours.

His most productive depths were 65 to 95 feet he said. He said they had more than a few "undersize" and probably lost another keeper.

I didn't get too good a look at his gear, but he had flashers on all 4 rods. He said he was out yesterday as well and had lots of action.

One of the fish had a 6 inch herring in it's belly, and the others were empty.

He also had a limit of large Dungeness for his guests too!

It was a pretty miserable day down there, raining pretty hard but overall it wasn't too bad.

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

well good I wish all winter spring fisherman did the same, but too many guys get a hard on over just catching a lot of fish, be them legal or not.

Yeah..I know.

I advocated the elimination of smaller hooks and damaging trebles and was viciously attacked by other members like I have no clue.

On another board, I got told by SFAB and other guys that I didn't have a clue what I was talking about!

That's ok..I'll let them catch shakers and I'll catch the big fish! :D

I think eventually we'll have a hook size restriction.

Wow, thanks for the great report, FM. Now I'm really itching to get out...

I don't blame you.

Those fish were fantastic looking.

As soon as the weather cooperates.... :) :)

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

I don't blame you.

Those fish were fantastic looking.

As soon as the weather cooperates.... :) :)

Well..here's an update for again today.

Talked to a local charter operator and he figures he lost a good fish (legal) to a seal, another was angler error and it was a bigger fish that took a lot of line.

There's another report from another local guy from this afternoon (Saturday)

http://www.bcfishingreports.com/forum/index.php?topic=2425.0

here's the text.

Managed to sneak out for a few hours this afternoon for winter springs in English Bay. Got the gear in the water around 2pm and fished till dark. Landed quite a few undersize and managed to boat a nice one around 12 pounds. We fished the drop off between Jericho and the QB marker. The most productive depth was around 100 feet for us. Really nice water and warm sunshine out there today finally!

Back