V haul utility/fishing boat

christophereyre

I have an ancient 14' Princecraft boat. Actually older than I am (38 years) and am looking to replace it after countless hours of use.
I am looking for advise for a STRONG 14' V, something that is going to get pulled up on the beach and can take a beating, and Im not worried so much about weight.

One of the thickest boats looks like a Marlon (.079) followed by SmokerCraft Voyager, AlumaCraft, Lund SSV, and lastly a PrinceCraft Yukon at .061.
People say that Marlon Boats are cheaply made but it makes me wonder with the thickest material is it that cheap???? SmokerCraft and AlumaCraft are sure nice looking boats though.

For me the tougher the better, and any advise would be appreciated.

When we are in Kyuquot we run Lifetimer's and we do a lot of beach excursions when not fishing and they are certainly up to the task.

When we are in Kyuquot we run Lifetimer's and we do a lot of beach excursions when not fishing and they are certainly up to the task.
That’s a nice looking boat for sure! Might be what I’m looking for, much appreciated. I have just been looking at more general name brands but those boats look definitely solid!

Never been in a riveted aluminum that didn't leak. Go with the welded aluminum. Lund's are junk. Was in a fishing tournament at kootenay lake and the guy next slip over had a lund. By the end of the weekend the boat had panels of aluminum literally falling off.

"Lunds are junk", what an ignorant comment. They are probably one of the most popular boats on the west coast as far as small boats go. My 14 Lund is 9 yrs old and does not leak a drop. We use in off Victoria and Oak Bay in some pretty wild conditions sometimes and certainly do not baby it. As far as a non welded aluminium boat in my opinion they are tops. Maybe the boat you saw was very old and had not been looked after.

"Lunds are junk", what an ignorant comment. They are probably one of the most popular boats on the west coast as far as small boats go. My 14 Lund is 9 yrs old and does not leak a drop. We use in off Victoria and Oak Bay in some pretty wild conditions sometimes and certainly do not baby it. As far as a non welded aluminium boat in my opinion they are tops. Maybe the boat you saw was very old and had not been looked after.
X2 on this comment, been fishing out of Lund boats off and on all my life and never have I seen one falling apart.

Wasn't very old, and i wouldn't have believed it if i didn't see it for myself. Just my opinion, no need to get all ruffled up.

Never been in a riveted aluminum that didn't leak. Go with the welded aluminum. Lund's are junk. Was in a fishing tournament at kootenay lake and the guy next slip over had a lund. By the end of the weekend the boat had panels of aluminum literally falling off.
Really?

Look guys I'm just telling you what i witnessed and why my opinion is what it is. I have no personal vendetta towards Lund and i have no reason to lie about it.

End of story

I don't think anyone thinks you are lying, there just must be more to the story. Maybe the bot was very old and should have been scrapped.

It was a green and gold fisherman 1800 with an e tec on it. Not that old and was a nice boat. But..... after 3 days of pounding on kootenay lake one of the outer panels of aluminum on the front starboard side was more off than on. I wish i would have taken a picture for all the doubters.

I have a restored & rebuilt 1969 17' Starcraft riveted aluminum boat and it's tougher & leaks less than a Russian tank. I've pulled it up on 1000 beaches up & down the coast and lakes all over BC. Cost me next to nothing but a lot of love, time, effort & TLC.

Back