USMCA trade agreement

Lots of posts here about dairy. I think our Canadian negotiators cleverly exploited Trump's grandstanding about 'unfair Canadian dairy protection' and used it against him. He made it into a huge deal in the media even though it represents only 0.6% of the trade volume between our countries. My sense was dairy was always going to be an area where concessions could be made without serious loss of economic or political capital in Canada. Negotiators held out on dairy to the eleventh hour to keep up the pretense it was a big thing to us as well, and leveraged it very nicely for gains in the auto sector of far greater dollar value - and zero ground given on dispute resolution.

The real balance in a deal this complex takes years to be revealed. 25 years of NAFTA showed Canada negotiated very well in those talks. Typically when all parties keep complaining about getting the short end of the stick, you know you probably have a pretty even handed deal.

Finally, steel and aluminum. They need to get there by more civil methods, but there's some sense to Trump's insistence that this is a national security issue/ Those are strategic metals and no country with a military like theirs should ever become dependent on import of strategic materials. Look how close the UK came to losing WW2 because most of its resources had to come from across oceans. Left to its own devices, the economy seeks the most competitive sources for all materials, but there's a case for government intervention when strategic materials are involved. If the future ex president could express himself at a level higher than grade four English via tweets and his perpetual election rally events, he'd tell us something similar to what I just did. Canada shouldn't take umbrage at being seen as a national security threat, obviously we're not. But keeping a substantial portion of steel and aluminum production in domestic sources makes sense for the americans.

Even better you could use the original YMCA is you changed the US to Yankee. Yankee, Mexico, Canada. YMCA
haha, first thing that came to my mind when I heard the name of the new trade agreement was the "YMCA" song....

Yeah it's awesome. The future ex president was so smug about the new name, "it just works." He was so bent on wiping NAFTA out of peoples memory that he came up with a boner that will forever be YMCA.

Who wants to bet he gets another term in 2 years? His ****** pompous personality aside many Americans are seeing improvements to their quality of life through increased wages and profitability of their businesses. I am friends with a business owner in Oregon who is a strong Democrat but free thinker. His business has never been more profitable. As a result he has given all of his employees significant raises and increased contributions to their 401k’s. He hates Trump but believes in the economics of what he is trying to accomplish. There is something to be said about looking after your own country before others...

I also have a friend that hates Trump, but for the same reasons says that his country is doing better under the Trump government.

Lots of posts here about dairy. I think our Canadian negotiators cleverly exploited Trump's grandstanding about 'unfair Canadian dairy protection' and used it against him. He made it into a huge deal in the media even though it represents only 0.6% of the trade volume between our countries. My sense was dairy was always going to be an area where concessions could be made without serious loss of economic or political capital in Canada. Negotiators held out on dairy to the eleventh hour to keep up the pretense it was a big thing to us as well, and leveraged it very nicely for gains in the auto sector of far greater dollar value - and zero ground given on dispute resolution.

The real balance in a deal this complex takes years to be revealed. 25 years of NAFTA showed Canada negotiated very well in those talks. Typically when all parties keep complaining about getting the short end of the stick, you know you probably have a pretty even handed deal.

Finally, steel and aluminum. They need to get there by more civil methods, but there's some sense to Trump's insistence that this is a national security issue/ Those are strategic metals and no country with a military like theirs should ever become dependent on import of strategic materials. Look how close the UK came to losing WW2 because most of its resources had to come from across oceans. Left to its own devices, the economy seeks the most competitive sources for all materials, but there's a case for government intervention when strategic materials are involved. If the future ex president could express himself at a level higher than grade four English via tweets and his perpetual election rally events, he'd tell us something similar to what I just did. Canada shouldn't take umbrage at being seen as a national security threat, obviously we're not. But keeping a substantial portion of steel and aluminum production in domestic sources makes sense for the americans.

This is all well and good and some good points made, but we are dealing with someone who has often gone back on his word and seems to be major con artist, grifter, if you are to believe a lot of the media. And I tend to believe it seeing how he acts it out in the open. How you can have a deal with this guy and actually feel comfortable feeling he will keep his word on anything or comfortable in feeling he won't screw you down the road is beyond imaginable.... The longer he remains in power the more erratic and untrustworthy he becomes.
Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Those dictators in N Korea and Iran are probably thinking along the same lines too. The way he plays his hand and kills long term agreements with US is a major risk to resolving any international conflics or crisis. You’ve got a valid point here, bigdogeh.

Back