USMCA trade agreement

scott craven

I'm not sure what to think of the new agreement.
Both leaders are saying it's a good deal, yet Canada has made concessions
in the dairy industry and the U.S. is still imposing tariff's on steel and aluminum.
:confused:

I think between loosing the manufacturing jobs in the auto sector and the dair industry, Canada didn’t have a lot of options.

Hard to think of a win-win game when you’re wrestling with a pig. These are special times for sure. Not only for Canada but for the rest of the “free world” as well.

Spent most of the morning as I do most mornings watching BNN and it's pretty much unanimous with all the analysts it's a decent deal for Canada. They lost some ground but also gained some on others. As much as I hate to see Groper boy win at anything they say his team did a pretty good job. So hats off to him on this one. It will be good for the country gets a big cloud lifted and things can get back to business. A lot of companies were on hold waiting for this to be done.

The tariffs being imposed on steel and aluminum aren't just that clear, in some cases they will apply to only manufactured products some cases not it's not just cut and dry. Canada gained in some cases. Auto parts being a huge one for Canada. We have some of the largest auto parts manufacturing companies and plants in the world in Canada and for the most part they will be left alone, thats a huge win. Our quota on automobile shipments has actually increased from what it was. So yah there are wins there are losses as in any deal.

The US was negotiated from a position of strength. Canada has no option but to trade with the USA.

what are they going to do expand trade with europe and asia? and kill whales on both coasts in the process?

Maybe the price of milk and cheese will come down a bit. That may not be a bad thing. As long as they keep the standards that are required for our country.
Not sure if I agreed with our dairy sector being as protected as it was anyways. Although I'm sure it's a bit more complicated than what I understand of it....

I have trouble understanding why Canadians think losing a tiny part of the supply management program for milk is a loss. If it had been disbanded it would have been a huge win for consumers. A gallon of milk in the US is $2.50-$3 Cdn while 4 litres in BC is usually $5Cdn or more. If you assume a family of 4 or 5 uses 12 litres per week $312 to $390 per year in subsidies just to dairy farmers, mainly in Quebec. And that doesn't include the increased costs of Cheese, yogurt, butter and every other product that uses milk.

Last edited:
I have trouble understanding why Canadians think losing a tiny part of the supply management program for milk is a loss. If it had been disbanded it would have been a huge win for consumers. A gallon of milk in the US is $2.50-$3 Cdn while 4 litres in BC is usually $5Cdn or more. If you assume a family of 4 or 5 uses 12 litres per week $312 to $390 per year in subsidies just to dairy farmers, mainly in Quebec. And that doesn't include the increased costs of Cheese, yogurt, butter and every other product that uses milk.

Years of dairy propaganda from the Canadian dairy industry saying that Canadian dairy is better for you.

example this from alberta dairy farmers

https://albertamilk.com/ask-dairy-farmer/difference-canadian-american-milk/

Years of dairy propaganda from the Canadian dairy industry saying that Canadian dairy is better for you.

example this from alberta dairy farmers

https://albertamilk.com/ask-dairy-farmer/difference-canadian-american-milk/

The real difference is Canadian farmers have quota valued at $35,000-40,000 per cow, (doesnt include the value of the cow itself) which is basically the increased value that animal has by milk output being restricted. According to the link, an average farm in Canada has 84 cows so the quota, which the farmer was probably gifted in the 1970s, is worth as much as $3.5 Million. That's the real reason they put out such propaganda, supply management has made them very rich.

I'm willing to spend a couple of dollars more on milk to keep our local dairy farmers in business. It would be a huge loss if they were put out of business if we all suddenly go to Walmart to buy American milk produced on a massive scale. Those farmers support the local economy.

If you assume a family of 4 or 5 uses 12 litres per week...
Then I'd say your family drinks a lot of milk!

I'm willing to spend a couple of dollars more on milk to keep our local dairy farmers in business. It would be a huge loss if they were put out of business if we all suddenly go to Walmart to buy American milk produced on a massive scale. Those farmers support the local economy.

Then I'd say your family drinks a lot of milk!

And there's nothing stopping you from doing that, that's a free market. Our dairy farmers can advertise all they want and pluck at our heart strings nothing stopping them. If a few cents on a litre of milk is going to drive them broke they have some huge issues. Some profit loss maybe, go broke, I doubt it.

And there's nothing stopping you from doing that, that's a free market. Our dairy farmers can advertise all they want and pluck at our heart strings nothing stopping them. If a few cents on a litre of milk is going to drive them broke they have some huge issues. Some profit loss maybe, go broke, I doubt it.
What it would do is force Canadian dairy farmers to become more efficient and they would probably suffer a decrease in profits as the subsidies were lifted over time, some farms that couldn't adapt would be consolidated into farms that could. The beef and pork industries which are not subject to supply management do fine, and compete with american products successfully worldwide. You aren't just paying hundreds of $ per year to diary farmers, you are paying it to egg farmers, chicken farmers and Turkey farmers too as those are all covered by supply management as well.

We also heard about the increased duty-free amount to $150/person from the current $20. That for sure will make me look even further at online stores for my tackles, gear, etc. That day trip to Blaine can become more productive soon.

I said same thing to my wife. She says no way she’d pay pay for American milk even if it was a buck a gallon because it’s already a week old by the time it gets here.

US definitely won big with the name change! ;-) I have heard that most Canadians will never eat another mushroom again after his toadstool was exposed.

Reactions: GLG
Young man, there's no need to feel down
I said, young man, pick yourself off the ground
I said, young man, 'cause there's been a new deal
There's no need to be unhappy
giphy.gif

Young man, there's a place you can go
I said, young man, when you're feeling as though
trade is too hard, and I'm sure you will find
Many ways to have a good time
It's fun to si -ign the US M CA
It's fun to si -ign the US M CA

Thanks Trump:p

Even better you could use the original YMCA is you changed the US to Yankee. Yankee, Mexico, Canada. YMCA

Even better you could use the original YMCA is you changed the US to Yankee. Yankee, Mexico, Canada. YMCA

I like it.... Yankee, Mexico, Canada Agreement
Oh it's fun to sign the YMCA.....

Back