using tablet as gps

Tangled

My Gps packed it in and I was thinking of replacing it with a Tablet and the navionics app. Has anyone tried this? Do you need cell service/data for the gps to work?

I can only speak for iPad - You will need a tablet that is 3 or 4G capable as these come with full GPS capability. You won't need a data plan, however as these units will work without one. I use my iPhone with the Navionics app as a backup to my Garmin and it works reasonably well, although the screen does load a little too slow for my liking.

I've got an iPad mini with the $15 navionics app. No data plan needed but you will need an antenna such as a "bad elf" or a garmin glo. For $99, I bought the Glo and it hooks up through Bluetooth. So for $500, you have a 7" chart plotter. I use it as my backup to my hds8 unit and I store it in a pelican case. Works well and very accurate but I don't think the iPad was build for the marine environment. Pm me if you want any more info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use an iPad all the time with the Navionics software installed. I use it adjacent to my normal chartplotter. I usually have one zoomed out and one zoomed in. When both are zoomed in, the positional accuracy and map quality is essentially the same. I mark out all the RCA's as "paths" on the iPad and that helps me stay out of the RCA's. I find it a lot easier to use the iPad for this than the chart plotter. I also have Navionics on my Android phone and that serves as a backup (as do my buddy's iPhone and iPad both of which also have Navionics on them). On smart phone (Android or iPhone) the GPS is built in. If you buy an iPad that is 3G/4G capable, a GPS will be built in. If you buy an iPad that is NOT 3G/4G capable, the gps is not built in and you then need an external GPS puck such as the "bad elf" mentioned above. The bad elf puck goes for about $100 which is the difference in price between a non 3G/4G iPad and the 3G/4G unit. Since the cost difference is the same, my advice is to buy the 3G/4G iPad as that GPS is built in and it's one less thing to worry about. Also, you can turn on a data plan if you so choose later on. We use a Ram mount to hold the iPad on the window and that works fine. You'll also need a 12v charger that puts out a reasonable current to the tablet. Often the standard phone chargers can't keep up with the iPad when it's on full time.

The downsides to the iPad relative to marine chart plotter is that the iPad is not marinized and thus can deal with getting wet. Inside a boat cabin this isn't really an issue but in an open boat you need to buy some waterproof case. The other downside is that the screen at full brightness is not as bright as a marine chart plotter at full brightness. Again this is more of an issue in an open boat than in an enclosed cabin. I don't have any experience with the Android tablets but given that Navionics on my Android phone is functionally equivalent to that on an iPhone or iPad, I imagine and Android tablet would be similar (just make sure it has a built in GPS). The other advantages of a tablet is that you can use it as a movie or music player and when you have connectivity (data plan or marina wireless) use it send email or get weather, swell and fishing reports. I also store pdfs of the fishing regs, the boat engine service manuals and other user/service manuals for the things on my boat. It does a lot more than a chart plotter but in bright light and wet conditions a proper marine chartplotter does the primary functions a little better. Nonetheless, if you have an enclosed cabin, a tablet is a perfectly useable replacement for a chart plotter.

Use the search function on this one. Well covered in a couple of past threads.

Lots of good info.

Yes it works. Best to have a back up like anything.

Tips

Lenovo 7" Tablet from Costco $109.99 + $15 Navionics App. Done.

The Garmin Glo for $99 (at MEC), plus the Navionics app, combined with my iPad is a great back up to my hds7, AND the screen is way bigger. Just keep the Glo in a box so you don't accidentally turn it on. Keep the iPad in a zip lock bag or water proof case.
Go fish
Stosh

I would check very carefully to see if your tablet has a built in gps antennae. Way back when, Samsung galaxy p1000 did have gps capability, but no more, and all the other manufacturers have quit as well. You don't want to go off shore without the proper equipment, be verrrry careful. And only use as back up. Nothing will replace the real thing completely.
Stosh

I would check very carefully to see if your tablet has a built in gps antennae. Way back when, Samsung galaxy p1000 did have gps capability, but no more, and all the other manufacturers have quit as well. You don't want to go off shore without the proper equipment, be verrrry careful. And only use as back up. Nothing will replace the real thing completely.
Stosh

Why couldn't a tablet replace a gps completely?water proof case or in the in the pilot house or both, you could have a built in gps or external or both.marine gps arnt bullet proof but neither are tablets.soon I'm sure they will make a more rugged waterproof tablet and eliminate the need for waterproof cases.

One can only hope!
One other reason to use the Garmin Glo - it works with Glasnos, the soviet satellite system, and refreshes 10 times faster than most gps units. (can we trust the Russians?)
Stosh

I use my Iphone with navionics app. The water proof case is a must as I'm in a very small boat so it gets wet every time out. It has been great. I use it to mark where I have caught fish and use it to store my tracks. I also use it as my depth gauge as I don't have any power for a sounder. The only thing that is annoying is the touch screen doesn't track your finger when the screen or your hands are wet.

My asus android tablet has a built in gps and works perfectly although I use a free (at the time app) and my own charts left over from the nobeltec days. I thought all android tablets had built in gps.

Another option in tablets would be the Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet*as it claims to be waterproof and is a 10 inch screen.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I use an iPad 4 with Skypro XGPS-150 external GPS which connects via Bluetooth to the iPad. Have a covered helm and removed two screws from a chrome trim at the helm and installed a soft iPad case that cost $15 to secure the GPS. Using the Nobletec app, which I prefer, but also have the Navionics app too. I agree with the others that spending the extra $$$ for an iPad with 3G or 4G is the best option so you don't need an external GPS unit. I would have done it that way but already had a WiFi only iPad. You definitely need a good 12v cigarette charger you can plug in with a 10 amp output to keep the iPad charged up. If running on the iPad battery only it lasts about 7-8 hours. Nice 10" GPS for the price.

Iphone with Navionics works great and the GPS in the phone is fine. I have a 7" chartplotter now, but use to use the phone mounted in a little ram mount on the dash all the time I fished.

I'm running my iPad with the inavx app.the charts are from navionics.the gps signal comes via Bluetooth from my bad elf. It turns the iPad into a fully functional chart plotter. I still run my furuno system but use the iPad zoomed in tight and the furuno zoomed out to set course for the auto pilot.it works really well in the pilot house of my Mackinaw. I got the mounting system from some aircraft supply place in Denver.my go flight I believe they are called, nice quality stuff and the iPad has yet to hit the floor.you need to be connected to power through a 2 amp charger to keep it fully charged.a pretty good setup if you have the luxury of a dry house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

excuse the fact i'm alot technically unadvanced! I'm in need of a decent chart plotter $1000. est. most likely. I have an ipad2 thats 3g and an ipad thats wifi only. Theres no service where i fish but shouldn't matter for recieving signal for GPS?correct? And if wifi ipad is to be used I need an external attena puck..right? sorry im
sofa king we taught it.!

Back