Used Downrigger Balls - What is a fair price?

No-that's the new price-a buck a pound is fair for used in decent shape.

Other than the fact that new weights are shiny the first time you put them in the water, what difference is there? As long as the hook or eye you attach to is not rusted out. Seems to me it is more of a commodity. It's not like a motor that is worth less for each hour it is used. While I wouldn't expect "shiny new price" I would expect to be pretty close for usable weights in good shape. Eye rusted out - not so much.

I have traded in 10lbs balls for new 15lbs to a guy in the fraser valley that makes them. He gave me 15 bucks a ball so $1.5 a pound for the used once I thought that was fair.

Jim, do you want to sell them, trade them, remelt them, or just use them? Scrap value for lead is about 75 cents to a buck a pound. Lots of guys use those sizes of weights. I sell my cannonballs for a $1.60 per pound for the large sizes, and $1.75 for the smaller ones. Some of the older ones have questionable eyes, especially the ones made of copper, they never seem to last.

Dave

Jim, do you want to sell them, trade them, remelt them, or just use them? Scrap value for lead is about 75 cents to a buck a pound. Lots of guys use those sizes of weights. I sell my cannonballs for a $1.60 per pound for the large sizes, and $1.75 for the smaller ones. Some of the older ones have questionable eyes, especially the ones made of copper, they never seem to last.

Dave

Dave: I'm looking to sell them.

I just wanted to establish a fair price before I put them into the Buy/Sell Forum and Craigslist.

I'm thinking that $25 for the 15# balls is fair - they are all in good shape.

$20 for the 12# fin weights.

I also have a 12# pancake weight with a ss fin - I'll try and photograph it later today. I figure that one should be $25.

$14 each for the 8# balls

those are the prices that we pay in victoria on craigslist and they are new,,you might want to drop your price a bit if you want to sell them quick

those are the prices that we pay in victoria on craigslist and they are new,,you might want to drop your price a bit if you want to sell them quick

Well, you have to consider that I'm in Tahsis - 150K from civilization with 64K if mountanous logging road to travel. Lead comes in here with quite a premium on it. I have 105 pounds of lead balls stuffed into a little plastic bucket designed to hold 7 KG of cat litter.

Trying to sell them here in Tahsis, they are considerably cheaper than what the locals are selling new lead for.

A check with a local marina which shall not be named, confirmed that 12 pound balls go for $32.99 + 12% HST for $36.95 and 15 pound balls sell for $39.99 + 12% HST for $44.79 each.

I think my prices are more than fair considering my location.

Last edited by a moderator:
A check with a local marina which shall not be named, confirmed that 12 pound balls go for $32.99 + 12% HST for $36.95

I think my prices are more than fair considering my location.

I agree, that's what we paid in Tahsis last year after we ran short of a couple balls

Back