Underwater video camera for trolling

Sea Ranger

Has anyuone ever tried trolling for Salmon while using an underwater video camera? There are many types of cameras to choose from. Seaview puts out a nice camera and it comes with IR lights(infra-red)which allows you to see in the dark for about $400.00 and has a depth range to 150 feet. If anyone has any info regarding underwater video cameras I would love to hear about the pros and cons of trying to set one up or how well they actually work..... Thanks Steve.

Walker Downriggers, out of Ontario, has a model where the camera is built into the downrigger ball and the downrigger line has the video feed in it. So, easy to use, all in one package...but ain't cheap.

I'd love to see what's going on down there. It would also help to know if your bait has the right action, weeds attached, been chomped, etc.

Even better would be one that could go deep enough for halibut fishing...on those hot days off Swiftsure Bank, it would be fun to see the mayhem that must be going on around the gear.

Is it worth the money for further frustration?
I guess if you have the $$,why not..

The Walker Strikevision http://strikevision.com/ doesn't have the camera built into the ball, the ball rides below the unit on a breakaway lead.

The problem with the Walker is that the cable breaks really easily, not losing your camera just losing the feed through the wire, it's a bit of a mickey mouse setup like all of Walker's gear.

One charter guy I know says it helps to keep guests entertained and he often runs back the tape that night looking for clues as to what's working/not working and why.

kidphotors6.jpg

I also wondered about possible electrolysis...with all the hyper-sensitivity about electrical charge on the metal downrigger line, does putting an electronic device down there affect anything?

Sounds like it doesn't, given reports of people watching fish bite. But one more thing to think about I guess.

Anyone remember charlie whites old tv show? He always had a underwater camera while fishing. I was young so cant remember well but i remember him having an underwater episode fishing for halis. Ill check youtube out

quote:Originally posted by kelly

Anyone remember charlie whites old tv show? He always had a underwater camera while fishing. I was young so cant remember well but i remember him having an underwater episode fishing for halis. Ill check youtube out
He also had a video of underwater camera fishing in P/A.Inlet.I won't give the excitement away but go to just about any library and they will have it. Any one else seen it? awesome :D:D

quote:Originally posted by Mrtrailer

quote:Originally posted by kelly

He also had a video of underwater camera fishing in P/A.Inlet.I won't give the excitement away but go to just about any library and they will have it. Any one else seen it? awesome :D:D
and I'm definately old enough. [8D]

Everyone's favorite place to shop.. WALMART.. has a underwater vid camera for $150!

Thanks for your input. I will check out the one at Wally World to see if it does what I want it to do. But it does sound like the way to go....I will be able to see my bait.... check the roll, see if there are any weeds on it or just use it while jigging.One question I do have is..... How deep do people jig or fish for Hali's is 150 feet enough cable to reach the hali's? I hope to have a bit of time later today so I will post some pictures of the different set ups that I've found so far... thanks again for your help. Oh and Mrtrailer.... I remember watching Charlie Whites show on tv so that must make me an old fart too....lol.

Without additional light you won't be able to see a thing in more than 100' of water - especially in the summer. Talk to local divers about their experience before you invest any money in toys like that.

Chris, Are you saying that even with infra red light that sees in complete darkness that it wont work underwater. And as for talking to a diver... GREAT IDEA.... I will be phoning them today.... thanks for the tip.:)

We've tried one out.Don't waste your cash. It only worked down to about 60 ft.It was good to 100 ft deep. Couldn't see much beyond 3'-4' at 60'.You could only see dark flashes in the background.We ran extra lights on the other downrigger too. It was alot of work every time we used it. The camera leads constantly got tangled on the downrigger wire,wearing thru etc. We finally got it hung up on the bottom Hali fishing and broke off the camera.[V]The only thing I can say is I hope your not using it when 'green stripes' has you pull your gear to look it over. It is in the saltwater regs, no lights while fishing,period unless there are within 1 metre of hook.Hard to fish a few rods within 1 m of the camera. I think they would work in clearer water,with no current or tide movement.:D

On The Beach

Thanks HALILLAMA I never thought that it could be illegal to fish with lights from a camera. I better check that out. It doesnt sound like it works as good as they say it does.... what to do.... $400.00 is a lot of money to spend on something that doesnèt work. I think its Seaviewer cameras that are used in the underwater filming on Deadlist Catch and they seem to work good but each one of those cameras cost $2100.00. Wish I was rich.... but then maybe its better if Im not.....lol.

In Regards to using lights while fishing the way I look at it is: You can use a light if the light is designed to catch only one fish in other words.... no pit lamping. But the camera light is only allowing me to see the fish that I am trying to catch. I am not using it directly to catch a fish..... and if Fisheries says anything..... thats my story and I am sticking to it...lol.

I have a walker strike vision that I used for a whole summer a few years back. I fished it along the rocks at 30 feet and during that time I had 100 or so fish come to the camera bait. Actually it was was best rod for a couple of months. I ran a video cable to a TV VCR combo in my cuddy that ran on a cheap inverter.I recorded a lot of strikes and fish taking Anchovies and spoons. It gave me real insight on what going on as we trolled around in circles waiting for the fish to bite.
If you fish shallow alot I think the Strike vision is worth the money. Buy the black and white to get the best picture. I have both, and the color camera picks up all the plankton going by and the black and white gives you a better picture. It was thing but in the long run it was a lot of work to keep the salt out and I haven't put it back on for a number of years. Maybe next season

Godeep, How long of a video cable does your strike vision have? and would you be interested in selling it? just a thought. Thanks for the good report on the camera any info is good. Steve.

Back