Ultra light jigging setup

kthomas

Last couple of days I have been dreaming of bottom fishing, and I have been toying of a "super light" jigging setup. Unfortunately I live in a landlocked region, but I get out to the west coast of B.C. yearly, where I do my salmon and bottom fishing. Specifically I fish Pender Island and area.

My current setup is a shimano trevala 58xh rod mated with a pfleuger level wind reel + 50lb braid, so this setup covers the heavy end. I have been thinking of getting a light japanese style jigging rod, and a light reel loaded with 30lb spectra. I want to try japanese style jigs with this setup (butterfly, madai, etc.). I think this would be really fun when the currents aren't ripping. I usually drift fish parallel to kelp beds in water >100 ft, sometimes out to 150 ft.

This is what I am looking at for a setup:

Rod:
Jigging master 150g power spell rod ($$$): http://www.jiggingmaster-ag.com/on/...tid=54:2010-11-16-11-20-28&Itemid=117&lang=en
Jigging master 100g saber light game rod ($$): http://www.jiggingmaster-ag.com/on/...tid=54:2010-11-16-11-20-28&Itemid=117&lang=en

Reel:
Avet sx 2 speed + 30lb spectra

The 150g rod seems to be a bit more versatile, but its about double the price of the saber game. The saber game is really affordable and has had good reviews, but I cannot seem to find it in stock in NA.

What are everyones thoughts on this? Anyone here have experience using a similar style setup? And if anyone has experience with japanese style jigging for bottom fish, please chime in!

kthomas: I use light spinning tackle for halibut often, both on anchor when the currents are soft or when drifting. I use the following:
Penn 4500SS (skirted spool spinning reel) - holds 250 yd. 10 lb. mono - I use 300 yd. of 30lb. braid. This was a $90 reel at West Marine a few years ago, any comparable substitute will work as long as the drag is decent.
Ugly stick BWS 1100 rod - 7'0", rated for 10-25 lb. line (rod is ~$60). This rod can easily jig lures from 3 oz. to at least 6 oz. - the sizes I use for halibut. With this equipment or lighter myself and friends have caught several dozen halibut from 30-60 lb. in the last few years. I'm sure it could handle larger, maybe this year!
I also use light levelwind gear but the spinning is easier for some of the novices I take out and I can change the handle from side to side.

...Rob

I've been into light tackle bottomfishing for years now- wouldn't bother with those expensive knife jigs around BC Rock Gardens.

Old 6'9" Daiwa Muskie rod/Shimano Calcutta 400 loaded w/30# spectra is my go to rig but I have a few others.

I like Muskie rods since they're cheap (like me) and not too soft but still lightweight.

Kil Song (the east coast jigging guru) has been to the Charlottes a number of times try posting on http://www.360tuna.com/forum/ maybe you'll catch his attention.

Thanks for the replies. I will definitely check out that 360tuna site.

Why wouldn't you bother with knife style jigs? I figure with the assist hooks attached at the top of the jig, snags would happen less often then with a conventional style jig and a treble attached to the bottom.

Thanks for the replies. I will definitely check out that 360tuna site.

Why wouldn't you bother with knife style jigs? I figure with the assist hooks attached at the top of the jig, snags would happen less often then with a conventional style jig and a treble attached to the bottom.

To limit snags, put some homemade assist hooks on something like in the link below for a more economical option to the knife jigs. Bottomfish aren't too fussy. The real ones are fun to use on coho in deeper water if you can afford them. They'll eat anything too sometimes.

http://www.gibbsfishing.com/products_minnow.asp

I wrote an article on this subject a few years back so in my research I came up with a number of possibilities for rods. The intent of the article was for light tackle bottom fishing so none of these outfits would be able to take on halibut but for the common angler fishing for lings these rods will easily take on lings up to 30lbs.
Below is an excerpt.

" All should be rated to handle maximum weights from 4 to 8 ounces. These rods provide plenty of backbone yet taper quickly to a very sensitive tip.
Some suggestions for the ultimate light tackle jig rod would be:
G. Loomis BBR904C 7’6” 1 pc.
G Loomis HSR932 7’9” 1 pc.
Fenwick SSGT 7’6” 1 pc.
Lamiglass G1303T 7’6” 1 pc.
Lamiglass G1032T 7’6” (Puget Jigger) 2 pc.
Lamiglass N379 7’9” 1 pc. Norwest Special)
Diawa Heartland HL-SS 791XHRB 7’9” 1 pc.
Berkley A92-8-6XH 2 pc.
Berkley A92-7-9XB 1 pc. "

I havn't found a baitcasting reel that can withstand the heavy (usually 6 oz) weights used in this fishing (although I have used the Shimano Culcutta as mentioned above and it is still working ) so I have just recently switched to a levelwind for this season. Personally, I would avoid spinning reels as they are just too difficult to control the line in and out.
Let us know what you decide upon.

Those are some good rods drhook, but to be honest I want to keep the rod pretty short, between 5-6'. I have a lighter cod rod that is in the 7' range, so I am looking to try something new. I think a short (5' something) rod purpose built for jigging on light tackle would be perfect for the type of fishing I do. This is what makes this build such a challenge, as it seems no NA manufacturer builds a dedicated short, light and sensitive jig rod. Japanese and NZ companies do make some rods that fit the bill perfectly, but they are a little more cash. I will spend that extra bit of cash if that happens to be the best option.

It might be a bit before I actually do make a decision with my wallet (probably around summer time) unless a really good deal pops up in the mean time. I will keep everyone informed on how this build goes.

I bottom sting all the time.

Catch all kinds of things.

All I use is a Daiwa M-1 spooled with 30lb. Tuffline/swivel/ then 20lb. 5 ft mono leader.

Dogbreath is right.....you don't want to spend too much money on fancy jigs here in the "Rockgardens" (as he puts it).

You'll lose half of 'em on snags.

I use Spinnows,P-line, Buzzbombs, Zeldas, locally made stuff also.

Buzzbombs work good too, in shallower water. I found when you go really deep they take too darn long to get down there because of their fluttering action.

Try a white buzzbomb with pink or red on one tip and green on the other. It's a killer

When they get beat up I repaint them.

Sand 'em bare...then spray 'em with SELF-ETCHING primer ( auto-supply store)...then put paint over that.

You actually could catch anything you want with two colors:- black/white and green/white.

Tackle depends on how deep you are jigging. If less than 60 ft, mono line is o.k.
Any deeper than that and the mono stretches and you can't "feel" anything happening.
Tuffline has no stretch, so when your jig is down,say 175 ft, you can feel the slightest nip.

To get down deep you pretty well have to go heavier on the lead.

10 oz's is not uncommon.....partly because of the depth but also the fact that usually there is some of form of current which will tend to want straighten out your line and bring your lead up.

I usually sting around 80 to 150 ft. Right on the bottom or just slightly off it (called "floorwalking")
Trick is to keep it as close to the bottom without getting snagged.

The worst jig ever for getting stuck is those banana-shaped- looking swedish cod-jigs. You pay an arm and a leg for those and they'll be gone on two trips or less.
They also suck for catching fish as well.

Around here for bottom fish, Spinnows are the best bang for your buck.

The Black/White Spinnow with the faint pinkish stripe along the black edge will catch just about anything.

I'm talking about generic bottomfish here, not Halibut or salmon.

Those two species require a somewhat different approach.

Last edited by a moderator:
The worst jig ever for getting stuck is those banana-shaped- looking swedish cod-jigs. You pay an arm and a leg for those and they'll be gone on two trips or less.
They also suck for catching fish as well....
Yeah they pretty much suck maybe they're best for muddy bottoms or something like it

UPDATE:

Ordered a Jigging Master Power Spell 150g the other day, now I just need to decide on what color avet sx I want to mate it with. The rod was 20% off with free shipping, couldn't pass it up!

Back