Ultimate BC Fishing Boat?

I believe they are built by Lindell yachts out of Washington state.
No the Ocean Sports are now built by Nordic Tug. Jim Lindell has a new partner and building their own boats. They offer a 42’boat and now a 38’ with triple 300’s.
https://www.lindellyachts.com/lindell-history.php

The 38’ with triple 300’s is the perfect boat!!!!!
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2019/lindell-offshore-38-3011401/

They are just completing the 1st 38’. It was at the Seattle boat show as a bare hull and motors mounted.

So, wandering around the boat show today it got me wondering what the ultimate BC fishing boat is. If money was no object what would you consider the be all end all fishing machine for our waters? To me it would be a boat that could:
- Comfortably take 4-6 people out fishing, even if it is cold and raining
- Shrug off chop and allow for a comfortable transit to your favourite spot
- Allow for single handling (if you can't find anybody to go fishing with you, it shouldn't stop you!)
- Be equally at home off Bowen as it is offshore Bamfield
- Bonus: overnight on the hook so you can stay out there even longer!
So, what would your ultimate boat be? The show has some beefy looking options including Sea Sports, Ospreys, North Rivers the size of a house, Hewes, Weldcraft, Gradys, and many more. Let's all day dream and postulate what our perfect ultimate BC fishing boat would be. Would love to hear what your ultimate would be!

You sound like you are in the same spot I was in a few years back. My boat at the time of that boat show was a Kingfisher 2525. Have upgraded over the years from 12' aluminum to 14' aluminum to 15' fiberglass, to 24' aluminum, to 25' aluminum, then to my boat I have now, the Weldcraft 260 Cuddy King which I hope will be my last unless I get a very big cruiser much later in life. I had had that Kingfisher for just one fishing season at the time of that boat show in 2014. I fished out of it around the south island and out of Tofino and Bamfield. I was very displeased with it for a lot of reasons and wanted to upgrade to answer all of the points you mentioned in your post. I went to the boat show in 2014 with my good fishing buddy. We looked at all of those boats you mentioned as well as a few more. I thought at the time I had narrowed down my choice to between a Whaler, a Grady, or a Weldcraft. I thought it over for awhile and thought it would be best for me to stick to welded aluminum for a few reasons. One of the main ones for me is that I personally don't like having to fuss over being careful with scratching pretty cushions, shiny trim and wood decorations, etc in my boats. Myself and my buddies I fish with mostly are pretty big guys and we can be rough on gear at times and I could foresee issues having a nice new shiny fiberglass Grady or Whaler for those reasons. I also travel at night every so often when fishing/traveling our coast so another consideration was hitting dead heads, etc on the water while traveling at night. I know a good sized dead head will damage most boats/motors etc anyway but one of my considerations was that aluminum would sooner dent than break like fiberglass and wood will. I've had a fiberglass boat in the past that got the whole transom cracked open from a deadhead and we barely escaped safely to shore while the boat took on lot's of water. I've also been on and seen damage to aluminum boats that also have hit dead heads. Both the ones I seen had damage but didn't crack open. I know they still can but those things have always stuck in my mind. I use radar to run at night but radar doesn't show you things like deadheads etc.. I try not to run at night if it's avoidable but sometimes for me, it isn't.

So I continued to visit boats over the next half year or so after that boat show and ended up deciding on a custom rigged Weldcraft 260 Cuddy King which is 28' to outside of stern, which is how most manufacturers measure boats (Weldcraft, Northwest, Duckworth to name a few all measure to inside of stern which is why they call it a 260) and about 31' overall length with motors. I use it for all of your points you listed in your post and I absolutely love it. I wouldn't trade it or sell it for any other boat. It's my pride and joy. I sleep on it on the hook, cook on it, take it up north island, fish tuna with it, trips up the inside with it, go for sight seeing tours with it all over the place on our coast. Handles crazy rough water like a champ, is fully loaded with twin Verado 225's, inverter generator, 110 volt outlets, sink, stove top, fridge/freezer, Espar heater, closed in toilet, cuddy that can sleep two with storage underneath, sonar, radar, vhf, windlass with controls in the helm and on the bow deck, dual 360 degree spot lights controlled from the helm with optional remote control, back deck lighting, cabin and cuddy lighting, etc... Can fish with 6 people but I would never do that on my boat. I find it can get stressful with more than 3 or 4 guys/girls on the boat at one time while fishing seriously. Sight seeing is a different thing; 6 people no problem sight seeing. Kids it's a different thing too. I enjoy taking our daughters and their friends out boating and we usually have 6 of us on board when doing that. I also fish out of it solo a lot too and it's great for that with steering/controls at both the helm and the fish deck. Bought the boat new for Christmas

We've recently purchased a cabin on waterfront with a dock on a gulf island now too so having my boat makes for a quick trip across the straight to spend time at our rec property. About a 40 minute trip cruising at around 26 knots/4000 RPM and we are at our cabin so loving my boat for that purpose too. It's big enough to fill it up with supplies, food etc for the rec property. If I make sure not to go too much over 4000 RPM while cruising my fuel isn't too bad either. Something else to consider is the beam of the boat you chose. If you will be mooring it at a marina for most of it's life and not trailering it much then you can go with a larger beam but if you want to trailer around our province fishing different spots then you many want to consider narrower beams for that point. That's another reason I chose my boat cause it has a narrow enough beam I can trailer without a permit. Which I do a lot. And the boat is very, very stable in the water with the 102" beam. Bought her Christmas of 2014 and kept it at a friends house overnight Christmas eve. Christmas morning before the family woke up I went to my buddies to pick it up and parked it in front of our house living room windows where the Christmas tree was. When the family woke up and sat in front of the tree to open presents I waited till they were all opened and told them there was one more present but they had to open the drapes behind the tree to see it :D

IMG_1716.jpg

Last edited:
I saw the coastal craft 33 at the boat show....and that boat just felt RIGHT when I got on. Manageable, well laid out and very fishy. 500K+ though.....

Last edited:
You sound like you are in the same spot I was in a few years back. My boat at the time of that boat show was a Kingfisher 2525. Have upgraded over the years from 12' aluminum to 14' aluminum to 15' fiberglass, to 24' aluminum, to 25' aluminum, then to my boat I have now, the Weldcraft 260 Cuddy King which I hope will be my last unless I get a very big cruiser much later in life. I had had that Kingfisher for just one fishing season at the time of that boat show in 2014. I fished out of it around the south island and out of Tofino and Bamfield. I was very displeased with it for a lot of reasons and wanted to upgrade to answer all of the points you mentioned in your post. I went to the boat show in 2014 with my good fishing buddy. We looked at all of those boats you mentioned as well as a few more. I thought at the time I had narrowed down my choice to between a Whaler, a Grady, or a Weldcraft. I thought it over for awhile and thought it would be best for me to stick to welded aluminum for a few reasons. One of the main ones for me is that I personally don't like having to fuss over being careful with scratching pretty cushions, shiny trim and wood decorations, etc in my boats. Myself and my buddies I fish with mostly are pretty big guys and we can be rough on gear at times and I could foresee issues having a nice new shiny fiberglass Grady or Whaler for those reasons. I also travel at night every so often when fishing/traveling our coast so another consideration was hitting dead heads, etc on the water while traveling at night. I know a good sized dead head will damage most boats/motors etc anyway but one of my considerations was that aluminum would sooner dent than break like fiberglass and wood will. I've had a fiberglass boat in the past that got the whole transom cracked open from a deadhead and we barely escaped safely to shore while the boat took on lot's of water. I've also been on and seen damage to aluminum boats that also have hit dead heads. Both the ones I seen had damage but didn't crack open. I know they still can but those things have always stuck in my mind. I use radar to run at night but radar doesn't show you things like deadheads etc.. I try not to run at night if it's avoidable but sometimes for me, it isn't.

So I continued to visit boats over the next half year or so after that boat show and ended up deciding on a custom rigged Weldcraft 260 Cuddy King which is 28' to outside of stern, which is how most manufacturers measure boats (Weldcraft, Northwest, Duckworth to name a few all measure to inside of stern which is why they call it a 260) and about 31' overall length with motors. I use it for all of your points you listed in your post and I absolutely love it. I wouldn't trade it or sell it for any other boat. It's my pride and joy. I sleep on it on the hook, cook on it, take it up north island, fish tuna with it, trips up the inside with it, go for sight seeing tours with it all over the place on our coast. Handles crazy rough water like a champ, is fully loaded with twin Verado 225's, inverter generator, 110 volt outlets, sink, stove top, fridge/freezer, Espar heater, closed in toilet, cuddy that can sleep two with storage underneath, sonar, radar, vhf, windlass with controls in the helm and on the bow deck, dual 360 degree spot lights controlled from the helm with optional remote control, back deck lighting, cabin and cuddy lighting, etc... Can fish with 6 people but I would never do that on my boat. I find it can get stressful with more than 3 or 4 guys/girls on the boat at one time while fishing seriously. Sight seeing is a different thing; 6 people no problem sight seeing. Kids it's a different thing too. I enjoy taking our daughters and their friends out boating and we usually have 6 of us on board when doing that. I also fish out of it solo a lot too and it's great for that with steering/controls at both the helm and the fish deck. Bought the boat new for Christmas

We've recently purchased a cabin on waterfront with a dock on a gulf island now too so having my boat makes for a quick trip across the straight to spend time at our rec property. About a 40 minute trip cruising at around 26 knots/4000 RPM and we are at our cabin so loving my boat for that purpose too. It's big enough to fill it up with supplies, food etc for the rec property. If I make sure not to go too much over 4000 RPM while cruising my fuel isn't too bad either. Something else to consider is the beam of the boat you chose. If you will be mooring it at a marina for most of it's life and not trailering it much then you can go with a larger beam but if you want to trailer around our province fishing different spots then you many want to consider narrower beams for that point. That's another reason I chose my boat cause it has a narrow enough beam I can trailer without a permit. Which I do a lot. And the boat is very, very stable in the water with the 102" beam. Bought her Christmas of 2014 and kept it at a friends house overnight Christmas eve. Christmas morning before the family woke up I went to my buddies to pick it up and parked it in front of our house living room windows where the Christmas tree was. When the family woke up and sat in front of the tree to open presents I waited till they were all opened and told them there was one more present but they had to open the drapes behind the tree to see it :D

View attachment 43376

Epic write up, Chasin Dreams! My current boat is the baby brother of yours: Weldcraft Rebel 202. I love it, and have taken it out in some pretty hairy conditions in the straight. She's also taken me out to Rat's Nose a few times when the conditions were favourable. That said the boat show always starts the gears turning and I've loved reading everone's ideas here. I wish there was an Ocean Sport to check out at the show, but they do have the Cuddy King there.

Epic write up, Chasin Dreams! My current boat is the baby brother of yours: Weldcraft Rebel 202. I love it, and have taken it out in some pretty hairy conditions in the straight. She's also taken me out to Rat's Nose a few times when the conditions were favourable. That said the boat show always starts the gears turning and I've loved reading everone's ideas here. I wish there was an Ocean Sport to check out at the show, but they do have the Cuddy King there.
Those Ocean Sports are very nice boats for sure. Odd they didn't have one at the show :confused:

I see a lot of guys talking about the Ocean Sports here. I had an Ocean Sport 30 with twin D4-260s for three years. It had great range, great speed on calm days, and lots of storage.

I would say the ride of the hull is harsh - the hard chine on the hull is carried too far forward and what happens in a sea is that the bow re-enters the water about a foot and then instead of slowing down as the bow enters the water, it instead comes to a full stop when it hits the chine.

I would say if you are thinking about buying one, take it for an extended sea trial is some proper weather before you sign on the line.

It does a lot of things well. For me, ride wasn't one of them.

Interesting you should say that BCI. We were travelling from Victoria to Bamfield a few years ago and it was fairly rough headseas. I was down to about 18 knots. There was an Ocean Sport 30 ahead of us who we eventually passed. He pulled in right behind us and followed us into Bamfield. Looking at the boat you would think he could outpace me in those conditions. I’m always amazed how Gradys handle rough seas. They just never seem to slow down and look at ease doing it.

I see a lot of guys talking about the Ocean Sports here. I had an Ocean Sport 30 with twin D4-260s for three years. It had great range, great speed on calm days, and lots of storage.

I would say the ride of the hull is harsh - the hard chine on the hull is carried too far forward and what happens in a sea is that the bow re-enters the water about a foot and then instead of slowing down as the bow enters the water, it instead comes to a full stop when it hits the chine.

I would say if you are thinking about buying one, take it for an extended sea trial is some proper weather before you sign on the line.

It does a lot of things well. For me, ride wasn't one of them.
Wow,you've crushed my dreams (not really) ,I've watched so many Ocean Sports running west up the Juan de fuca and they look awsome I always thought they were the perfect boat.I'm very surprised to hear with their weight and hull shape they ride rough.I guess I'll have to fall back on thinking a Pursuit would be my dream boat.

Best all around fishing boat in my opinion is a 1998 and up Grady Gulfstream you can still pull with a half ton truck. Huge cockpit area and the Seavee hull rides fantastic, you will drop off a wave and expect some impact and it's like hitting a pillow. Great pocket offshore machine that is pretty economical. Always loved the cover on aluminum boats but as far as ride heavy glass boats ride much nicer.

I still think the best boat for comfort has to be the 26 ft Hourston Glasscraft Sportster.

Grady's are awesome as well but if you look how the hourston are designed they just cut right through the weather.

A 26ft with twins for me would be ideal. I just love the boat.

Last edited:
I still think the best boat for comfort has to be the 26 ft Hourston Glasscraft Sportster.

MGrady's are awesome as well but if you look how the hourston are designed they just cut right through the weather.

A 26ft with twins for me would be ideal. I just love the boat.
Especially when you extend the hull 3 ft so you’re in 3 waves in steep wind chop and add acentre console to distribute the weight more amidship ;)

Back