Uflex steering - bleed/fill

donnie d

Looking for a simple kit for purging air and topping off hydraulic fluid for the Uflex system. Everything seems to be made specifically for seastar- are the fittings similar? Any recommendations?

Mine's not a Uflex, but I think I just ran a long hose from the cylinder bleed screws, up to the helm into a clear bottle that I kept above the helm (high point). Another hose from that bottle into the helm fill screw. Keep the bottle topped off so that both hoses are in fluid, The bubbles will escape from the bottle, but none will enter the clear tubing if you keep it topped up enough. Then steer left and right and release the bleed screws as needed. One man operation but it takes some time to work out all the bubbles.

I think most instructions for bleeding hydraulic steering is way over complicated. I have literally done dozens and dozens of them from small baystar like I just put on the back of my cabin to large 3 station systems with auto pilot. For any small 1 station system all you have to do is join the two bleeder tees on the ram together with clear hose ,open the bleeders, slowly pour oil in the helm pump while turning the wheel ,JUST ONE DIRECTION, the ram will not move so don't worry. When no more oil goes in the helm the lines are full and you can close the bleeders. Now when you're turn the wheel the ram will move 10-15 turns lock to lock and most of your air left will be out. Make sure the helm always has oil over metal parts in side and you will be good to go.

Looking for a simple kit for purging air and topping off hydraulic fluid for the Uflex system. Everything seems to be made specifically for seastar- are the fittings similar? Any recommendations?
I have the Uflex helm as well and from everything I have read the Seastar bleed kit works just fine. I have ordered one from Marine Tech tools so fingers crossed

I have the Uflex helm as well and from everything I have read the Seastar bleed kit works just fine. I have ordered one from Marine Tech tools so fingers crossed
Let me know how it goes. That one looks the best quality.

It fits

Attachments

• E0AA78C9-0542-40D2-B30E-7A322B00DB7D.jpeg
    E0AA78C9-0542-40D2-B30E-7A322B00DB7D.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 11
Back