Ucluelet in Mid August ??

rbv

I've been following this forum for a little while now and find it very informative! Thanks!

I have had a two week trip planned to Ucluelet from Aug.18 to Sept.1 since last Labour Day when my wife and I did well with Chinook off of Little Beach, squeeking in our first Tyee at 31 lbs. I sense the fishing is very good in the Ucluelet and Barkely sound area right now and its very painful waiting for my holiday to arrive.

[?] Will mid to late August be too late for chinook? I only have an 18 foot Crestliner so I will be sticking close to the shore (Little Beach, Chrow, Alley Rock, Mara Rock, Great Bear Etc.)

No way, you picked THE prime time to hit the mature springs passing through the area. A lot of the spings in barkley sound right now are 10 - 20 pounds. The springs and coho would normally be offshore but there is so much bait in the sound that it is drawing the fish in and making them stay. Mid to Late August you will have a lot of the robertson creek fish passing by ... Good Luck

Thanks! That sheds light on the situation for me! The reports of the fish being in closer to shore this early made me wonder if the runs were a bit early this year.

I'll just have to pass the next four weeks going over my tackle and boat for the umpteenth time ;) ...

Thanks again,
Rob

Back