U.S. senators raise alarm over B.C. sockeye virus

Lipripper

OTTAWA — The Harper government, which on Thursday described as "inconclusive" tests showing British Columbia wild sockeye salmon have been infected with a potentially devastating virus, isn't taking the matter as seriously as top politicians in the U.S., the House of Commons was told Thursday.
The New Democratic Party drew attention to a statement issued earlier in the day by three American senators who have made a bipartisan appeal to U.S. government officials to probe the possible spread of infectious salmon anemia.
The senators, describing the disease as "the Canadian salmon virus," are calling on the National Aquatic Animal Health Task Force to analyze the risk of it spreading.
"We need to act now to protect the Pacific Northwest's coastal economy and jobs," Washington state Senator Maria Cantwell said.
"There's no threat to human health, but infectious salmon anemia could pose a serious threat to Pacific Northwest wild salmon and the thousands of Washington State jobs that rely on them."
NDP fisheries critic Fin Donnelly said the Canadian government isn't taking seriously the news earlier this week that two underweight sockeye tested positive for the disease.
Simon Fraser University fisheries statistician Rick Routledge said the infected fish were among 48 smolts sent to the Atlantic Veterinary College in Prince Edward Island at the suggestion of B.C. salmon biologist Alexandra Morton, an outspoken critic of the fish farm industry.
It has been described as the first time the disease has been detected on the West Coast, and Routledge said the only "plausible" source was fish farms.
Morton has alleged that the virus also likely is to be found in B.C. farmed salmon, though the government and aquaculture industry said there's no evidence of that.
"The U.S. recognizes the urgent need to protect their coastal economy and jobs, but this government is mute," Donnelly said during question period.
"Don't they understand the scale of this new threat? Will the minister tell Canadians exactly what emergency actions he'll take?"
Fisheries Minister Keith Ashfield read out a statement saying the disease has "never been found" in B.C. farmed salmon and that his department has tested wild salmon three times this year. All three tests were negative.
Ashfield said the positive results for the two salmon from B.C.'s Rivers Inlet, a popular salmon-fishing area on the central coast, are "far from conclusive."
He said his department will conduct further tests.
The virus found on the two smolts has been identified as the European strain of the virus, which has been found in Atlantic wild salmon. B.C. has imported more than 30 million Atlantic salmon eggs over the past 25 years from the U.S. and Europe, according to the federal government.
The same virus pummeled Chilean fish farms in 2007-08, killing millions of fish and resulting in several fish farm and processing plant closures.
The three U.S. senators are Cantwell, a Democrat, and two Alaskans, Republican Lisa Murkowski and Democrat Mark Begich.
The Alaskan senators used the news release to contrast their state's policy of promoting the wild salmon fishery against the government-supported B.C. aquaculture industry.
Consumers need to know "that wild salmon is still safe and one of Alaska's most delicious natural resources," Murkowski said in the joint statement.
Begich said the B.C. virus is a threat to Alaska, "the world's premier producer of wild salmon."

Thanks Lippy.
Hopefully this is the beginning of the end for those Norwegian bastards....
icon14.png
icon14.png
icon14.png

Last edited by a moderator:
CNN is the only major news Organization that has not yet covered this story. What's up with that?

Not at all surprised by the Minister's handling of the matter:
- "the disease has "never been found" in B.C. farmed salmon"
- his "department has tested wild salmon three times this year. All three tests were negative."
- "the positive results for the two salmon from B.C.'s Rivers Inlet... are "far from conclusive."

Basically Move along, Nothing to see here.
rolleyes.gif

Let's hope that the "further tests" he alludes to aren't simply going through the motions towards a preordained, Agenda driven conclusion...

Accountability? Well... One can dream I suppose. Damn hard for me to imagine politicians (past & present), the least accountable Federal Ministry there is in Canada, and the Offshore Proponents EVER facing that particular brand of music. Then again, perhaps I am in error in this particular instance...
unsure.gif

Nog

U.S. Senate approved investigation and response plan for virus outbreak in British Columbia salmon

Posted by Mark Yuasa

It didn't take long for the U.S. Senate to back an investigation into the potentially deadly salmon virus that appeared in two juvenile salmon in British Columbia.

Here is a press release that came out of Senator Maria Cantwell's (D-WA) office today (Oct. 21):

During a long session that went into the early morning hours, the U.S. Senate approved a bipartisan amendment authored by Senator Maria Cantwell (D-WA) that calls for an investigation and rapid response plan to prevent the spread of a potentially deadly salmon virus.
The virus, which was recently found for the first time in Pacific wild salmon, may pose a threat to the Pacific Northwest salmon fishing industry and the coastal economies that rely on it. The virus does not pose a threat to human health.

The bipartisan amendment was backed by Senators Lisa Murkowski (R-AK), Mark Begich (D-AK), Patty Murray (D-WA), Ron Wyden (D-OR), Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Barbara Boxer (D-CA), and Dianne Feinstein (D-CA).

The amendment, introduced October 19th to the pending appropriations bill (H.R. 2112), calls on the National Aquatic Animal Health Task Force to evaluate the risk the virus could have on wild salmon off West Coast and Alaskan waters, and to develop a plan to address this emerging threat. The minibus appropriations bill - including Cantwell's accepted amendment - is scheduled for a final vote in the Senate during the week of October 31.

"We thought it was very important that this amendment pass tonight because scientists are calling it a disease emergency. That is, that the Pacific Northwest wild salmon might be threatened by a virus that has already decimated fish farm salmon from around the world," Cantwell said on the Senate floor. "We cannot risk having this impact the Pacific Northwest wild salmon."
"It's tens of thousands of jobs and hundreds of millions of dollars as it relates to our economy. ...We need an action plan immediately and we need to make sure that we are formulating a rapid response to what to do if we do detect that this virus is spreading with the potential impact that we've seen in other areas."

Cantwell's complete remarks as delivered follow:

Madame President.
In that en bloc group of amendments was an important Amendment 893 that was sponsored by my colleagues from the Northwest, obviously myself, Senator Murray, Senator Wyden, Senator Merkley, Senator Boxer and Senator Feinstein.
And we thought it was very important that this amendment pass tonight because scientists are calling it a disease emergency. That is that the Pacific Northwest wild salmon might be threatened by a virus that has already decimated fish farm salmon from around the world.

So we want to see, first of all, important scientific questions answered about the impacts of this virus and the threat that they pose to Pacific Northwest salmon.

Second, we want to make sure there is an aggressive management plan and an effective rapid response plan to deal with the threat of this virus.

And third we want to make sure that we are protecting wild salmon and the important economy that goes with it.

I know many people know the Northwest as known for a healthy salmon population but this salmon population is also an economy for us. It's tens of thousands of jobs and hundreds of millions of dollars as it relates to our economy.
So being able to detect this virus and make sure that we are assessing the potential threat to the wild salmon population is something that we want to see happen immediately.

This makes sure that the task force, that is a joint task force already in place between National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), works effectively in a very short time period to make sure that we are getting this accurate assessment.

As I mentioned this virus in the farm fish population around the world, in Chile and other places, has decimated salmon. We cannot risk having this impact the Pacific Northwest wild salmon.

So we need answers quickly from the scientific community. We need an action plan immediately. And we need to make sure that we are formulating a rapid response for what to do if we do detect this virus is spreading with the potential impact that we've seen in other areas.

So I thank my colleagues for making sure that this amendment is passed tonight. I know that Senator Murkowski had planned earlier to talk about this and I want to thank Senator Hutchinson from Texas for helping us move this along in the process.

I hope now as we move this legislation that we will also get the cooperation from NOAA and Secretary Lubchenco and others to make sure that we are responding very rapidly to this very, very serious, what people have called the scientific need, to get these questions answered as soon as possible.

I thank the President and I yield the floor.

Back