U.S. Senate approved investigation and response plan for virus outbreak in British Co

MILLERTIME

U.S. Senate approved investigation and response plan for virus outbreak in British Columbia salmon
Posted by Mark Yuasa

It didn't take long for the U.S. Senate to back an investigation into the potentially deadly salmon virus that appeared in two juvenile salmon in British Columbia.

Here is a press release that came out of Senator Maria Cantwell's (D-WA) office today (Oct. 21):

During a long session that went into the early morning hours, the U.S. Senate approved a bipartisan amendment authored by Senator Maria Cantwell (D-WA) that calls for an investigation and rapid response plan to prevent the spread of a potentially deadly salmon virus.

The virus, which was recently found for the first time in Pacific wild salmon, may pose a threat to the Pacific Northwest salmon fishing industry and the coastal economies that rely on it. The virus does not pose a threat to human health.

The bipartisan amendment was backed by Senators Lisa Murkowski (R-AK), Mark Begich (D-AK), Patty Murray (D-WA), Ron Wyden (D-OR), Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Barbara Boxer (D-CA), and Dianne Feinstein (D-CA).

The amendment, introduced October 19th to the pending appropriations bill (H.R. 2112), calls on the National Aquatic Animal Health Task Force to evaluate the risk the virus could have on wild salmon off West Coast and Alaskan waters, and to develop a plan to address this emerging threat. The minibus appropriations bill - including Cantwell's accepted amendment - is scheduled for a final vote in the Senate during the week of October 31.

"We thought it was very important that this amendment pass tonight because scientists are calling it a disease emergency. That is, that the Pacific Northwest wild salmon might be threatened by a virus that has already decimated fish farm salmon from around the world," Cantwell said on the Senate floor. Watch a video of her delivering her remarks here. "We cannot risk having this impact the Pacific Northwest wild salmon."

"It's tens of thousands of jobs and hundreds of millions of dollars as it relates to our economy. ...We need an action plan immediately and we need to make sure that we are formulating a rapid response to what to do if we do detect that this virus is spreading with the potential impact that we've seen in other areas."

Cantwell's complete remarks as delivered follow:

Madame President.

In that en bloc group of amendments was an important Amendment 893 that was sponsored by my colleagues from the Northwest, obviously myself, Senator Murray, Senator Wyden, Senator Merkley, Senator Boxer and Senator Feinstein.

And we thought it was very important that this amendment pass tonight because scientists are calling it a disease emergency. That is that the Pacific Northwest wild salmon might be threatened by a virus that has already decimated fish farm salmon from around the world.

So we want to see, first of all, important scientific questions answered about the impacts of this virus and the threat that they pose to Pacific Northwest salmon.

Second, we want to make sure there is an aggressive management plan and an effective rapid response plan to deal with the threat of this virus.

And third we want to make sure that we are protecting wild salmon and the important economy that goes with it.

I know many people know the Northwest as known for a healthy salmon population but this salmon population is also an economy for us. It's tens of thousands of jobs and hundreds of millions of dollars as it relates to our economy.

So being able to detect this virus and make sure that we are assessing the potential threat to the wild salmon population is something that we want to see happen immediately.

This makes sure that the task force, that is a joint task force already in place between National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), works effectively in a very short time period to make sure that we are getting this accurate assessment.

As I mentioned this virus in the farm fish population around the world, in Chile and other places, has decimated salmon. We cannot risk having this impact the Pacific Northwest wild salmon.

So we need answers quickly from the scientific community. We need an action plan immediately. And we need to make sure that we are formulating a rapid response for what to do if we do detect this virus is spreading with the potential impact that we've seen in other areas.

So I thank my colleagues for making sure that this amendment is passed tonight. I know that Senator Murkowski had planned earlier to talk about this and I want to thank Senator Hutchinson from Texas for helping us move this along in the process.

I hope now as we move this legislation that we will also get the cooperation from NOAA and Secretary Lubchenco and others to make sure that we are responding very rapidly to this very, very serious, what people have called the scientific need, to get these questions answered as soon as possible.

I thank the President and I yield the floor.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ht...016574550_us_senate_approved_investigati.html

Just another prime example of the difference between Ottawa and Washington. While Harper and all his boys and girls just sit around twiddling their thumbs the Americans are going into full emergency mode.

What a joke our politicians are...........
icon13.png

They sure don't F around!

God Bless America. Can't believe I actually typed that, but if any one can force the hand of the idiots back east, it's them. These guys will not sit around and wait for a disaster. I feel imbarrassed to be Canadian on this one.

God Bless America....I feel imbarrassed to be Canadian on this one.

And not the first time! Can you imagine how our west coast salmon fishery would look like without the hatchery fish from the US? Very bleak! Thank god that the US has a considerably higher appreciation of Pacific Salmon. Are they perfect? Hardly. But miles ahead of us in many ways.

well the numbers i heard last night are a 37% budget reduction for WDFW already in place with an additional 5% and 10% plan requested by the governor. already on the chopping block are multiple hatcheries and probably more to come as several of these have demonstrated a cost/fish that are way out of sight. now couple that with the GOP slashing federal budgets, and folks, you had best get your own act together if you really want to have a viable WCVI fishery. relying on your southern neighbor to prop up your fisheries is going to be a thing of the past in the very near future.

A classic case of self deception in the interest of jobs. If I didn't know better I would suspect the industry is paying off a few politicians. How can they be so blind to obvious facts and science pointing to the smoking gun....open net pen salmon farms. Time for the Salmon farmers to man up and accept closed net pen technology, they would be better off and could market their product as a "green" solution.

God Bless America. Can't believe I actually typed that, but if any one can force the hand of the idiots back east, it's them. These guys will not sit around and wait for a disaster. I feel imbarrassed to be Canadian on this one.

Like wise I feel ashamed to be a Canadian. Our elected officials sat
back and did nothing despite all the evidence of this impending
disaster. Once more we have to rely upon the Americans to rectify our
mistakes.
Thank God for the Americans..........
icon14.png

well the numbers i heard last night are a 37% budget reduction for WDFW already in place with an additional 5% and 10% plan requested by the governor. already on the chopping block are multiple hatcheries and probably more to come as several of these have demonstrated a cost/fish that are way out of sight. now couple that with the GOP slashing federal budgets, and folks, you had best get your own act together if you really want to have a viable WCVI fishery. relying on your southern neighbor to prop up your fisheries is going to be a thing of the past in the very near future.

Just to clarify for our American friends; we Canadians do not have the same democratic powers that you enjoy.....
We do not have the same democratic rights to add initiatives/propositions to our provincial/state elections the way you do.......
If we did I am sure that Norwegian fish farms would have been long gone many, many, many long years ago......
We also do not enjoy local jurisdiction over our fishery's the way you do........
Our fisheries are managed by a federal department some 4000 miles away which is totally corupted........
If we had local jurisdiction the way that you do along with true American Democracy management of our invaluable fish stocks would be sacrosanct.......... Our federal elected officials like to tell us Canadians that we live in a democracy; but in reality it very much pales in comparison to American democracy........
icon8.png

Last edited by a moderator:
NOW Our Fed's Step In :(

West Coast salmon virus under federal investigation
CBC News
Posted: Oct 21, 2011 11:11 AM PT
Last Updated: Oct 21, 2011 11:02 AM PT

Federal official are working to confirm reports that a potentially devastating salmon virus has been detected in West Coast wild salmon stocks

"The Canadian Food Inspection Agency, in collaboration with Fisheries and Oceans Canada, is investigating recent reports that infectious salmon anaemia has been detected in wild sockeye salmon in British Columbia," said a statement issued by federal officials on Friday morning.

Simon Fraser University Prof. Rick Routledge announced earlier this week the highly infectious virus had been detected in two wild sockeye smolts collected on B.C.'s central coast

Federal official say they are now working closely with the Atlantic Veterinary College, which conducted initial testing for Routledge, to confirm the results.

"If the disease is confirmed through this analysis, the CFIA will, in consultation with partners and stakeholders, identify and take appropriate next steps," said the statement.

"In Canada, infectious salmon anaemia is a 'federally reportable disease.' This means that all suspected cases of the disease must be immediately reported to the CFIA. The disease poses no risk to people."

Alexandra Morton, a biologist and longtime critic of salmon farms, says the European strain of the virus could only have come from the farmed Atlantic salmon in the area, and it could have a devastating impact on the province's wild salmon and herring.

But experts point out the source of the virus remains unproven, and the disease has never been detected in farmed salmon stocks on the West Coast.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/10/21/bc-cfia-salmon-virus.html

Tx Nog for sharing, proof will be in seeing action taken. Like all good Canadians I expect our response will be to ask the Salmon Farming Industry to be more careful. Nothing will happen until it is too late.

Trout Unlimited Supports Legislation to Address Virus in Pacific Salmon

Juneau, Alaska -- Trout Unlimited today applauded quick action taken by Sens. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.,) Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska,) and Mark Begich (D-Alaska) to address the outbreak of infectious salmon anemia, a virus potentially deadly to wild Pacific salmon recently found in two sockeye smolts off British Columbia. This is the first time that wild Pacific salmon have ever tested positive for the disease.

The Washington and Alaska senators have introduced legislation directing government scientists to determine the scope and cause of the outbreak of infectious salmon anemia that has devastated salmon farms in Chile and elsewhere, and to recommend steps to protect the health of salmon stocks along the West Coast, Canada and Alaska. The scientists would have six months to complete their report. The legislation is also backed by Senators Patty Murray (D-Wash.,) Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.,) Ron Wyden (D-Ore.,) Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) and Diane Feinstein (D-Calif.)

"We thank the senators for taking a leadership role on this. This situation is extremely serious given the critical role salmon play in the economy, culture and way of life of so many Alaskans. While there's a shortage of information right now, this disease outbreak could pose potentially serious consequences for salmon up and down the West Coast, from Alaska to California. The sooner we can get a handle on what's causing the outbreak and take steps to prevent the spread to Alaska waters, the better," said Tim Bristol, director of Trout Unlimited, Alaska Program.

Bristol encouraged Alaska Gov. Sean Parnell and Fish and Game Commissioner Cora Campbell to take all measures needed to protect Alaska's wild salmon stocks and the critical habitat on which they depend for sustained production. Bristol noted the assessment of the British Columbia situation by Dr. James Winton, fish health section chief of the U.S. Geological Survey's Western Fisheries Research Center. Winton referred to the virus discovery as a disease emergency with "global implications."

"We're fortunate to have made the wise choice as Alaskans to outlaw fish farms in our state. But that doesn't mean we're immune from deadly infections that can mutate and spread to our waters from fish farms down south. Alaska needs to beef up testing, research and surveillance to ensure that our stocks remain disease-free and we need conserve the high-value watersheds that produce our abundant salmon runs," Bristol said.

Although Alaska is not testing for infectious salmon anemia at this time, that could change as more information about the outbreak in British Columbia becomes available, state officials have said.

Media Contact
Paula Dobbyn, Trout Unlimited, Alaska Program, Director of Communications, 907-230-1513 or pdobbyn@tu.org

Back