U.S. Buying up Canadian commercial fishing licenses?

Stosh

Not sure how accurate this info is, however I heard over the weekend from a fairly well informed source that some Canadian commercial licenses are being sold to Americans. If this is true, how can DFO allow this?
Stosh

You have heard right . A very large US company is buying up drag quota and boats

Also the US has given Canada 30 million to buy up some of the west coast troll licenses to take some pressure off the southern stocks. these licenses are to be retired.

Yes it is the Pacific Group that is here buying drag quota and boats up.

Also the US has given Canada 30 million to buy up some of the west coast troll licenses to take some pressure off the southern stocks. these licenses are to be retired.

Hopefully this will help a little with the Fraser Chinook runs of concern which seem to be caught mixed in with Southern US runs.

It will do little good if the remaining boats are allowed to fish more to take the same number of fish.

Why does Canada not match the US $30 million to buy out even more boats and help out the early run Fraser Chinook? The US spends billions on pacific salmon but DFO only seems to want to spend tax dollars on fish farms.

Last edited by a moderator:
The trollers do the least harm, how about retiring some sieners??? I am sick of watching them wipe out entire schools of fish.

seiners??? that supposed 'conservation' organization CCA is behind an initiative in Oregon to remove gill nets in the lower columbia r. and substitute purse seines. how is that for stupid???? putting THE most deadly fish catching means back into the columbia after it has been baned for decades. of course the true believers are all behind this, i still can't believe this is happenning. hopefully the voters of Oregon will vote NO on this but i don't think they are that smart.

Given a choice between seiners and gillnetters..I would take seiners all day long. Seiner owners can be mandated to hand brail non target species over the cork line. (alive) Gill nets offer no such option...a caught fish is a dead fish. The only selectivity possible is by the mesh size. Commercial gill nets are responsible for the steep decline in both Coho and Steelhead populations coast wide.

Given a choice between seiners and gillnetters..I would take seiners all day long. Seiner owners can be mandated to hand brail non target species over the cork line. (alive) Gill nets offer no such option...a caught fish is a dead fish. The only selectivity possible is by the mesh size. Commercial gill nets are responsible for the steep decline in both Coho and Steelhead populations coast wide.

Correct me if I am wrong but is it not gill nets that are used in the massive never shrinking Fraser River drift net fishery?

if it was a simple choice between gill nets and purse seines, i would agree with you profisher. but this is not so simple. what this applies too is commercial fishing below bonneville dam. in this stretch of water you will find a few hundred gill netters. these tend to be family businesses that have been around for a very long time. the opening and closing of the waters is closely monitored and does not span that many days. quotas are tabulated daily because the commercial buyers are required to report each evening. if these relatively inexpensive boats are out of business, it will be seine boats that will become the harvesters. how much does a seine boat cost? a million? so just who will be fishing the lower river, more than likely corporations.

when gary loomis started this whole rant about these gill netters several years ago, he sought to bring in the 500# gorilla the Coastal Conservation Association, a Texas based group who have had great success along the eastern and gulf coasts. i asked him specifically about the nets above Bonneville, he didn't want to talk about this indian fishery. i used to ride my motorcycle up the Oregon side of the river, cross and come back on the Washington side when the netting season was in full swing. in my left hand i carried one of those click counters. Depending on where i chose to cross from one side of the river to the other, 1,500-2,000 bank set gill nets, and that was only from the parts of the river i could see from the highway and no further that Pasco.

so what impact is the introduction of seine boats going to have on helping out wild anadramous fish? we shall see but the real impact will be the elimination of family businesses and the introduction of corporate fishing on the Columbia r. When corporations take over, i become very concerned about the future of this fishery.

Reelfast, I get your point and that was what I was trying to imply, seiners=corporations. Yes seiners can be more selective than gillnetters but when they get 50,000lbs in one set or even 1000lbs in one set that has huge impacts.

You have heard right . A very large US company is buying up drag quota and boats

Okay... I'll bite, not say you're right or wrong, but would you mind letting us know what, "very large US comany is buying up drag quota and boats?

Okay... I'll bite, not say you're right or wrong, but would you mind letting us know what, "very large US comany is buying up drag quota and boats?

Charlie if you check back in this thread you will see that our resident commercial fishery lobbyist Fish-4-All says “yes it is the Pacific Group that is here buying drag quota and boats up”.

I did a quick search but there are a lot of Pacific Groups so I did not identify anyone specific; but then I don’t have your search skills.

wouldn't surprise me gl. I know they are called the pacific group and that they bought up a canadian company (S&S seafood) a few years back.

Not a lobbiest rockfish. just a guy trying to make a honest living slinging hooks.

Back