Tyee Pool DFO Notice

Nitroholic

This notice is to inform recreational fishers that Food, Social, and Ceremonial (FSC) harvest of Chinook may occur in Subarea 13-5, including waters known as the Tyee Pool. The FSC harvest will utilize gill nets between the hours of 10:00 PM and 4:00 AM. Recreational fishers are advised to avoid the area during these times (effective immediately until 23:59 hours September 30) and that any gear conflicts may result in restrictions to recreational fisheries while FSC harvest is occurring.

FSC harvest activity (via permit issued by the First Nations and communicated to DFO) may also include the use of power boats during the day time in the Tyee Pool and all users of the Tyee Pool are urged to use caution and be considerate of each other while fishing. FSC harvesters are requested to fish with minimal vessel wake for the safety of rowers and other human powered boats. Any safety issues or conflicts during the fishery will result in action being taken to mitigate the issues.

This notice is to inform recreational fishers that Food, Social, and Ceremonial (FSC) harvest of Chinook may occur in Subarea 13-5, including waters known as the Tyee Pool. The FSC harvest will utilize gill nets between the hours of 10:00 PM and 4:00 AM. Recreational fishers are advised to avoid the area during these times (effective immediately until 23:59 hours September 30) and that any gear conflicts may result in restrictions to recreational fisheries while FSC harvest is occurring.

FSC harvest activity (via permit issued by the First Nations and communicated to DFO) may also include the use of power boats during the day time in the Tyee Pool and all users of the Tyee Pool are urged to use caution and be considerate of each other while fishing. FSC harvesters are requested to fish with minimal vessel wake for the safety of rowers and other human powered boats. Any safety issues or conflicts during the fishery will result in action being taken to mitigate the issues.

is this new to this year?

Wait! What's going to happen to the gene pool?

You are F’n kidding me!
They may be. Until I see a Fisheries change notification on the DFO Website I will consider this a possible hoax.

If it is not, it will take no time at all to send that run to extinction, and we can all thank the Federal Liberals.

That notice came from a DFO Fisheries Notice. It just came out. It does not mention much other than the different fisheries need to get along or more action may need to be taken !!

They may be. Until I see a Fisheries change notification on the DFO Website I will consider this a possible hoax.

If it is not, it will take no time at all to send that run to extinction, and we can all thank the Federal Liberals.

Fishery Notice​

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Subject:
FN0788-Recreational - Salmon - Chinook - Area 13 - Tyee Pool and remaining portions of Subarea 13-5 - Information and Reminder

Recreational fishers are reminded that the use of motors is prohibited in the Tyee Pool under Transport Canada regulations however access under FSC permit is exempt from this regulation.

Fishers are further reminded of the recreational Chinook regulations in the following area:

Area 13 (Campbell River Special Management Zone, CRSMZ):

In Subareas 13-3 and 13-5, those waters of Discovery Passage and Campbell River inside of a line starting at the fishing boundary sign at Orange Point located at 50°04.392' north latitude by 125°16.608' west longitude, then northeasterly to a point in the middle of the channel located at 50°04.392' north latitude by 125°15.510' west longitude, then southeasterly to a point located at 50°00.507' north latitude by 125°12.859' west longitude, then southwesterly to the fishing boundary sign on the southern end of Hidden Harbour breakwater located at 50°00.504' north latitude by125°13.945' west longitude.

- 00:01 hours July 15 to 23:59 hours August 31: One (1) Chinook per day, no maximum size limit.

- Effective 00:01 hours October 1 to 23:59 hours October 31, the Campbell River Special Management Zone (coordinates listed above) is closed to all fishing for finfish (except for fishing from the Discovery Pier).

The minimum size limit for Chinook Salmon in Area 13 is 62 cm.

These waters are subject to other restrictions to fishing gear (all of the CRSMZ) and motoring (Tyee Pool). Please check your local regulations and review your 2021/22 Pacific Tidal Water licence Conditions of Licence for more details, or contact your local DFO office.

Variation Orders: 2021-RFQ-0424, 2021-RCT-380

Coast-wide Recreational Fisheries:

For the recreational fishery, the annual aggregate limit for Chinook salmon is ten (10) in all tidal waters coast-wide.

Variation Order: 2021-RFQ-094

Thats how I read it also................... more restrictions be put on the rec fleet..............................sad.

Wow…. the famous Campbell River Tyee Pool is going to be gill netted for the next six weeks for FN ceremonial use? destroying something so many generations worked so hard to protect. This must be a joke?

I think anyone rowing at 4am while they pull their net should be recording it and sending it to the media. Reconciliation should not come at the expense of the salmon species.

I think anyone rowing at 4am while they pull their net should be recording it and sending it to the media. Reconciliation should not come at the expense of the salmon species.
FSC harvest activity (via permit issued by the First Nations and communicated to DFO) may also include the use of power boats during the day time in the Tyee Pool and all users of the Tyee Pool are urged to use caution and be considerate of each other while fishing.

FSC harvest activity (via permit issued by the First Nations and communicated to DFO) may also include the use of power boats during the day time in the Tyee Pool and all users of the Tyee Pool are urged to use caution and be considerate of each other while fishing.

And?

I should clarify, anyone that is in that area should consider documenting it. I'm sure a citizen on the beach with a decent camera would be able to get quality footage of the fishery.

And?

I should clarify, anyone that is in that area should consider documenting it. I'm sure a citizen on the beach with a decent camera would be able to get quality footage of the fishery.

did people care when the Sumas band decided last year and this year that they would start netting the vedder river.

perhaps this can be the wake up call that is needed. How many times did whitebuck warn people about this lots.

there netting the **** out of everywhere

skeena, Nass, Fraser coming to an area near you

wcvi and now central coast first matins have approved fsc/commercial combined fishing.

Last edited:
Election isn’t going to fix it. Doesn't matter what party is at the helm. That has been proven in the past. Non of them have conservation or sustainability on their agenda.

What I have seen proven is that the Liberals have a 2 class system on thier agenda. An allocation of resources and access that we will never get back. In the Liberals eyes, I am a second class citizen. All I'm good for is paying taxes.

Back