Tuna in Washington fall 2020

Hey. Was thinking of booking a fall trip for albacore. How late in the year can a guy count on to have a good chance at them? I see some boats book June to November. Is early October usually still ideal to go or when does it normally slow down? I’ve been looking at charters out of Westport. Any recommendations? Coming from The Okanagan so doesn’t make sense paying the ferry to van island

Hey. Was thinking of booking a fall trip for albacore. How late in the year can a guy count on to have a good chance at them? I see some boats book June to November. Is early October usually still ideal to go or when does it normally slow down? I’ve been looking at charters out of Westport. Any recommendations? Coming from The Okanagan so doesn’t make sense paying the ferry to van island

In many years October is great and fish are taking live bait off the surface. However, I’d shoot for late September if I only had one option. Many boats do book out in advance so getting a reservation is a good idea. There are a couple options to think about. Either a larger charter boat or an express style 6 pack. Some of the charter boats take up to 25 anglers and stay overnight. These boats have more storage so there’s a chance you could come home with more fish but you’ve gotta put up with a much longer ride to the tuna grounds. Also, not a bunch of moving around to find fish when it’s difficult. The express boats are typically on the grounds much quicker. The downside is the express boats have less storage so you can expect 4-7 tuna each. Make sure you ask how many fish they intend to keep so there aren’t any surprises. When conditions are good and fish abundant some of there boats are back at the dock by noon. Once you get the tuna bug it’s over so brace yourself. Hope this is helpful.

It's not the fish it's the weather it's an easy place to get blown off the water no matter the size of your boat.

Early October is as late as I'd chance booking in advance.
Exactly what Dogbreath said.

Talking with deck hands/relief captains on the Fury and Rampage a number of years ago they both said 2nd and 3rd week of September are prime time for live bait action and last stretch of more consistent weather.

Give Mark Coleman a call
He runs 5 Express style 29 foot Defiances out of Westport and has the fishery dialed in.
His company is called All Rivers & Saltwater Charters. 425-736-8920
Bring a large cooler, tall rubber boots, and very good rain gear. The rain gear and boots are mostly to protect your clothing from the blood splatter as the deck typically fills with fish when your on a good bait bite. Once you have tuna blood on any street close they are done for:)
It is blast...enjoy

Give Mark Coleman a call
He runs 5 Express style 29 foot Defiances out of Westport and has the fishery dialed in.
His company is called All Rivers & Saltwater Charters. 425-736-8920
Bring a large cooler, tall rubber boots, and very good rain gear. The rain gear and boots are mostly to protect your clothing from the blood splatter as the deck typically fills with fish when your on a good bait bite. Once you have tuna blood on any street close they are done for:)
It is blast...enjoy
X2 on Mark Coleman and All Rivers. Went last year third week of August and had a blast. Plugged the boat the first day by 11am (60 fish) and the second day as well but had to work a little harder the second. Live bait for albacore will ruin you for pretty much every other type of fishing.

X3 on Mark Coleman. Went 2 years ago for the first time. Life changing fishery!! We got weathered out last year around 3rd week of August, so we didn't get to fish. Amazing how it was such a downer because of how excited we were from year before. We are already booked to fish with Mark again in late august. He will have his new 42 foot boat this year with air suspension seats. This is a 6 pack trip. Should be great trip!!

Back