Tuna Chartering Off Shore...Legal or Not With 5 G Ton Licence?

When in doubt call the regulator 250-363-0394 for Victoria TC office. I will say this: the 60 and 15o ton tickets are “master-limited” certificates, which means the inspector/examiner decides the limitations on where you can operate and under what conditions. So, just being able to pass the 60/150 ton exams and meet the seatime (60 days on that vessel on a similar route) and medical exam (for passenger-carrying operations) requirements doesn’t automatically mean you’ll be able to operate beyond 25nm. In fact, most 60Ton tickets issued are more restrictive than the SVOP. These tickets are meant for a certain vessel, specific route, certain hours of operation, etc. You change vessels or routes, you need a new certificate. Not like the blanket, 12 or less passengers, doesn’t matter if you’re colour blind, Canada wide, out to 25nm that the SVOP allows for.

Good advice being offered. We have been through this question previously with WCFGA and the advice back to us was chartering out beyond 25 nm wasn't a good idea, but some insurers do cover you out to the trade limit (100nm in most marine charter policies). The real issue will be dealing with TC on the one hand, and also taking the risk (substantial I would say) on the other hand that your insurer could bow out if a significant loss takes place. The risk isn't worth it.

On a side note, we are also required to carry your policy on board so that you can verify upon demand that you have the minimum liability insurance ($250K per passenger that your vessel is licensed to carry). Having more than required is probably a good thing considering there is always the possibility of collision with other vessels etc.

I also like Kelly's advice regarding the unpredictable nature of the fishery...very hard to plan and deliver a charter given the sometimes long periods of time between weather windows and equally unpredictable fishing success. Also logistics are a nightmare to plan from some locations.

Hope that info helps, good luck.

Back