Tuna, 2018 - it won't be long

Where did you end up fishing ? We looked for you all day but never saw you.

I lost radio contact with you right from the start, I was following some other boat.
You gave me the coordinates but I punched it in incorrectly, so I had no idea where were you. Later on I tried the coordinates and figured out you were more than 20 nmiles south from me.
I tried to call you and the other boat ( tuna boys) several times but no luck.
I do not have coordinates where we were . We ending up at bottom of the bango .
Any way ,
The story starting like this.
We got to Kain at 5 am and we checked the latest terrafin and 15 minuets
Later we were heading to south west.
After 50miles the temp was 59.9 so we put 8 lines in by the time we finished the water turned to 55.
Pull up and go another 40 minutes , water temp 61 . Lines in 10 minuets later double on Mexican flag.
1 minute later another double on maxican flag. Put all fish in the box and 10 minuets double again .
5 minuets later single. We got all in the box . Tunas were small sizes between 8-14 .By the time we got all 7 in the ice around 12:30 the wind came up and the ocean got nasty. The wave got beatween 2-2.5 meter short stack and white cap.
Got the worst tangled in 10 years, bite the bullet and 1 pm started to head back. After 3 hours of ride we arrived to the dock.
Tunas are out there we just have to wait for the better weather.
I am planning to go out again as soon as weather permits, and hopefully we will have better numbers.
Also I noticed the baits and tunas was around 60-70 feet under the boats.
Lot of baits, to bad we could not do any jigging, may be next time.

Sounds good Jim, we hope to go either Thurs. or Fri. again, we'll stay in touch. That's only the second time we have blanked in 6 years chasing them, sorry you had to be on that trip.

No problem. 2nd time I’ve gone. Still no tuna. I’m learning each time I go though. Next time we will put tuna in the boat.
Jim

Just an FYI

There is a free alternative Online App put out by the state of Oregon, all the same imagery etc for SST and Chorophyl, it’s called NVS Tuna Fishers. Works for most of Vancouver Island. Has good measurement tools, trip plotters etc. It has predictive models as well for currents (take with a grain of salt), but you can select the actual sat imagery and look at single days or multi day averages. Looks like the resolution is about 1km.

I lost radio contact with you right from the start, I was following some other boat.
You gave me the coordinates but I punched it in incorrectly, so I had no idea where were you. Later on I tried the coordinates and figured out you were more than 20 nmiles south from me.
I tried to call you and the other boat ( tuna boys) several times but no luck.
I do not have coordinates where we were . We ending up at bottom of the bango .
Any way ,
The story starting like this.
We got to Kain at 5 am and we checked the latest terrafin and 15 minuets
Later we were heading to south west.
After 50miles the temp was 59.9 so we put 8 lines in by the time we finished the water turned to 55.
Pull up and go another 40 minutes , water temp 61 . Lines in 10 minuets later double on Mexican flag.
1 minute later another double on maxican flag. Put all fish in the box and 10 minuets double again .
5 minuets later single. We got all in the box . Tunas were small sizes between 8-14 .By the time we got all 7 in the ice around 12:30 the wind came up and the ocean got nasty. The wave got beatween 2-2.5 meter short stack and white cap.
Got the worst tangled in 10 years, bite the bullet and 1 pm started to head back. After 3 hours of ride we arrived to the dock.
Tunas are out there we just have to wait for the better weather.
I am planning to go out again as soon as weather permits, and hopefully we will have better numbers.
Also I noticed the baits and tunas was around 60-70 feet under the boats.
Lot of baits, to bad we could not do any jigging, may be next time.
Sounds good, at least you found some.Out of curiosity, do you have the numbers where you found them? I want to see how close we were.

Sounds good, at least you found some.Out of curiosity, do you have the numbers where you found them? I want to see how close we were.
I am home but next time I go I will let you know and tell you my coordinates
Hopefully next time we could team up and load up the boats.

Recent report of yellow tail approx 200miles WNW of your location. Got the range?

edit: yellow tail, not fin

Last edited:
Anyone out of Ukee/Tof thinking Tuna tomorrow or Thursday? Tomorrow looks not bad, Thursday looks better.

Water looks like maybe we have temps at 48 miles

Recent report of yellow tail approx 200
These?
getPart
or These?
getPart

Recent report of yellow tail approx 200miles WNW of your location. Got the range?

edit: yellow tail, not fin

care to elaborate on this? i know the odd california yellowtail get bumped into off our coast, was this a single fish or was there numbers of yellowtail?

Tunadon and I are planning a weds or thurs tuna trip out of Bamfield.
More the merrier if anyone else has thots?

I can confirm yellowtail catchability..
Pic is from Westport but not far south of Cnd waters.
My kootenay lake cousin was a bit puzzled over my excitement.." its just a 10lb fish??"

Attachments

• IMG_0642.JPG
    IMG_0642.JPG
    300.5 KB · Views: 102
Tunadon and I are planning a weds or thurs tuna trip out of Bamfield.
More the merrier if anyone else has thots?

I can confirm yellowtail catchability..
Pic is from Westport but not far south of Cnd waters.
My kootenay lake cousin was a bit puzzled over my excitement.." its just a 10lb fish??"

I’m keen for sure Thurs if the weather is good, launching out of Ukee. I see @J-GLOBAL is too. @Coastal Crew also said he was interested.

Anyone out of Ukee/Tof thinking Tuna tomorrow or Thursday? Tomorrow looks not bad, Thursday looks better.

Water looks like maybe we have temps at 48 miles
I’ll join you Thursday. Do you have numbers to run to?

We are ready to go Thursday if the weather window stays open. Currently looking at a couple spots in Loudon and areas down in Barkley/Nitinat. Watch and wait as patiently as we can is the game now.

My opinion of sst shots shows 2 possible areas..there seems to be 'feathers' of temp breaks..not really a continuos line.
South of nitnat:
47,52 x 126 line
Then a spot further out west of north barkley:
48,15 x 126,52
Those spots are a fair ways apart tho
We've had our best fishing at the southern canyons so prob there for us

Back