Tug-and-barge fuel shipments through B.C.'s Inside Passage 'a disaster waiting to hap

This sounds similar to Train engineers that used to put a brick on the gas pedal while having a cat nap.
Pretty apt analogy, terrin - except a train most commonly stays on the tracks...

... Or, more precisely - momentum (mass x velocity) is the real difference.
just for Sh*ts'n'giggles - I figured-out the differences in momentum: I tug @ 12 kts = 26 pick-up trucks travelling at 100km/hr; 1 barge = 1100 trucks; 1 tanker = 33,000 trucks; 1 supertanker = 65,000 trucks travelling at 100km/hr. Then there are volumes of oil/petrochemicals associated w the tankers/tugs, too...

Last edited:
If you can set depth alarms there is no reason I can see why you couldn't do the same for a ships course. I'm sure the technology exists. Should sound on the bridge as well as the Captain's cabin. Not rocket science!

Once again though, this may be a solution for the more professional mariners, but as we know they aren't the only traffic on the marine highway.

Perhaps it's only me, but I find it a little ironic that the First Nations are aghast that this can happen, yet themselves rely on coastal tankers and fuel barges for their own use. The only 100% solution is to ban internal combustion engines?

.. The only 100% solution is to ban internal combustion engines?
So - how did the human race survive for some 200,000-2M yrs w/o petrochemicals? We will run-out some generation soon. Maybe should be more than thinking about that. There are other options.

I don't know. I create garbage but don't think it's ok to throw it in the ditch. Or put it in other people's yards using the fact they create garbage too to justify it.

I don't know. I create garbage but don't think it's ok to throw it in the ditch. Or put it in other people's yards using the fact they create garbage too to justify it.
If you're trying to draw an analogy of using oil to littering, I think you missed big time. Now if your point is that the locals, like the rest of us, rely on oil and in the case of isolated communities maybe more so, you have a point.
So - how did the human race survive for some 200,000-2M yrs w/o petrochemicals? We will run-out some generation soon. Maybe should be more than thinking about that. There are other options.
Easy to say when you live in a city, not so easy for those in isolated communities. How do generate electricity? How do you power your fish boat? How do you bring in supplies?
I guess these folks need to sit in the dark, live off the land and pick up welfare cheques until a viable energy replacement is found for them?

Not creating the garbage so much, just wondering if it's ok to dispose of it on others property because we all create garbage. Didn't come across so good I guess. So I'll just ask point blank,

Would you be ok with someone coming into your back yard and spraying your garden with diesel? Then saying ahh it's partly your fault cuz, you know, you use fuel too?

Last edited:
...I guess these folks need to sit in the dark, live off the land and pick up welfare cheques until a viable energy replacement is found for them?
Wow! Ziggy. Great perspective. Voting for Trump?

There is a "wish" in place to put remote communities onto LNG but I think it's the wrong path.

Attachments

• ICF-Report--Reducing-GHG-Emissions--Final-2016 (2).pdf
    527.9 KB · Views: 2
Wow! Ziggy. Great perspective. Voting for Trump?
Wow Agent, best you could do? You insult both of our intelligence's! One more than the other. Want to guess which one?

Here is a link to a podcast that I follow. There are lesson that we can learn from the navy.

The Great White Fleet, dispatched by President Theodore Roosevelt in 1907 and a milestone in U.S. Navy history, is today becoming the Great Green Fleet. Admiral Dennis McGinn, the Navy’s assistant secretary for energy, installations and environment as well as a retired rear admiral and former commander of the Third Fleet, sits down in his Pentagon office with host Bill Loveless to discuss the Navy’s commitment to sustainable and green energy in order to cut the service’s energy costs, reduce its emissions and make its fuel supplies more secure.
http://energypolicy.columbia.edu/gr...ral-dennis-mcginn-us-navys-green-future-91216

Some here would no doubt take issue with nuclear powered vessels which are common throughout the American Fleet. The USN has powered all its submarine fleet with nuclear power as well as it's Aircraft carriers. Not sure things have changed to the point where the Canadian public would accept nuclear power. Remember decades ago when it was proposed Canada procure nuclear subs? Instead they got used British conventional ones.

Last edited:
Back