Truck Advice

Big Green Machine

OK, with my boat and truck being sold I have 18,000 to 20,000 to spend on a new to me truck.

I need a 1500 4x4 and quad cab with a regular size box so my Marlon Jon Boat will slide in.

I don't care whether it's a Dodge, Ford, GM, Nissan or Toyota. I know the imports will cost me more and hold value.

My question is this.

Should I go with a gas engine with higher number of miles (seems to be lots of these within my price range) or an older diesel?

I saw one for sale that had 200,000 kms in my price range but it was a 2500 or 250 in the Ford world. There are some 3500 /350s out there also.

How many more years or kms will I get on a diesel with 200,000 Ks assuming I am just using it for going to work and fishing, not heavy duty work.

If you have that much money to put down why not look at a new truck? When they offer really low financing or 0% you can buy new over 5 years like I did for like $100 a month that's $25 a week. It's a no brainer in my opinion. Full warranty, 0KM's, new fuel managment/technology.

I bought a GMC with a 5.3, quad cab, 4X4. They were asking $48,600 and with the incentives it was $36,000 plus free chrome and spray in box liner. My truck does have most options but you can buy them for much lower prices with less options.

Doesn't hurt to shop around for new before buying used.

I have a 2001 Ford F350, absolutely love this truck. I bought it used for about $11,000 3 years ago, had to put about $2000 into, tires, brakes, some front end work. It is a work horse, pulls my Grady's like nothing, they are 7000lbs +. It has the 7.3 ltr engine, diesel, this engine is bullet proof. Mine is a one ton, extra cab, Power Stroke.

I have 350,000 km on it now I have put about 80,000 on it and it has never missed a beat. These engines will get 700,000 km + with proper maintenance. This is why they are super hard to find, nobody gets rid of them. Quick google search on these engines and milage with show you this.

I get about 1000 highway km to a tank of diesel, little less when towing but not much, pretty happy with that milage.

Hope this helps, my 2 cents anyways.

I paid 22 k for my 04 slt hemi 4x4 in 06 with 61,000 kms. Truck has been very reliable and i would recommend one to anyone. Mine is a short box regular cab but still has 51" between the wheel wells so my jon boat fits perfect. 240,000 on it now and still runs like a top with only routine maintenance. For 18-20 k you should be able to find one in near mint condition with low kms.

If you have that much money to put down why not look at a new truck? When they offer really low financing or 0% you can buy new over 5 years like I did for like $100 a month that's $25 a week. It's a no brainer in my opinion. Full warranty, 0KM's, new fuel managment/technology.

I bought a GMC with a 5.3, quad cab, 4X4. They were asking $48,600 and with the incentives it was $36,000 plus free chrome and spray in box liner. My truck does have most options but you can buy them for much lower prices with less options.

Doesn't hurt to shop around for new before buying used.

I thought about this, but the GM dealers in town here are not offering 0% financing. It's more like 8%. A low monthly payment is a priority right now.

Thanks for your help. I was just wondering though would it be better to go with an older model diesel.

How many more kms can I realistically get on an gas engine near 100,000 kms.

100,000 kms is only 62,000 miles - should have lots of life left - IF it has been properly maintained - regular oil changes etc.

I have a 2006 dodge 2500 diesel 5.9. !!!$$$$DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE!!!$$$ I got it with 130000 and now have 200000 on it and have put $14000 into it. Maybe I have bad luck. Tranny and injectors ++. I am keeping it tho, fingers crossed.

I have a 2006 dodge 2500 diesel 5.9. !!!$$$$DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE!!!$$$ I got it with 130000 and now have 200000 on it and have put $14000 into it. Maybe I have bad luck. Tranny and injectors ++. I am keeping it tho, fingers crossed.

That's a concern, the injectors for sure. What was it used for prior to you buying it?

Wow you musta gotta lemon!!! The 5.9 is a pretty solid engine. Tranny i can see person before you was hard on it. We have three dodge diesel's in out family one is used i patch still 2008 3500 6.7L 230,000km from new no problems just regular maintenance, 2008 2500 6.7L 190,000km no problems mostly hiway and stuff but pulling big loads as mom uses it for pulling horse trailer with living quarters and everyday stuff. Sisters 2006 2500 5.9L has about 260,000km on it now she used to do hotshots/deliveries in the patch with it so its seen some heavy loads and rough roads and shes never had any problems butt well. The two 2008's are chipped and 5" exhaust and egr/dpf deleted.

Big green i wouldnt be scared to buy a slightly older diesel then pulling hills and stuff you wont have a problem but if you dont do that much pulling a gas job would defiently be fine as well.

I think you just need to do some test drives. Most of Dodge diesels ive been in are kind of obnoxious and not that comfortable of ride. Newer GMCs are nice ride and quiter at least inside. Exhaust systems only do so much. If your not pulling anything heavy or doing long road trips Im not sure a diesel is necessary. Id go for a lower km gasser. All years will usually have a issue so just do your research. Good deals go fast as long as your not in a hurry and have cash on hand you should be able to find something pretty nice.

I think you just need to do some test drives. Most of Dodge diesels ive been in are kind of obnoxious and not that comfortable of ride. Newer GMCs are nice ride and quiter at least inside. Exhaust systems only do so much. If your not pulling anything heavy or doing long road trips Im not sure a diesel is necessary. Id go for a lower km gasser. All years will usually have a issue so just do your research. Good deals go fast as long as your not in a hurry and have cash on hand you should be able to find something pretty nice.

Thanks for the advice, a diesel is not needed as I will not be towing or hauling. I am leaning towards a gas engine, just need to find one with decent Ks and not a patch lease return..

Thanks for the advice, a diesel is not needed as I will not be towing or hauling. I am leaning towards a gas engine, just need to find one with decent Ks and not a patch lease return..
One way to find out a patch return is look at the under carriage. The muck that gets up in there is very hard to clean off. Those trucks are driven hard and put away wet.

If your not towing or hauling than a Chevy half ton is what you are after. The 5.3 ltr engine is a must or you will regret it. If you are light on the foot the chevy's are pretty damn good on fuel economy. They copy everyone else (just look at the new models they came out with). Hey Zues, if they go any further with the body style it will be hard to tell them apart from a Ford F150! That is GM though. Go the miles and copy the others. That in it self is ok. Their trucks are timeless really. You know what you are getting is all I am saying. They are great trucks for the majority of folks.

This is coming from a FORD guy lol.

If your not towing or hauling than a Chevy half ton is what you are after. The 5.3 ltr engine is a must or you will regret it. If you are light on the foot the chevy's are pretty damn good on fuel economy. They copy everyone else (just look at the new models they came out with). Hey Zues, if they go any further with the body style it will be hard to tell them apart from a Ford F150! That is GM though. Go the miles and copy the others. That in it self is ok. Their trucks are timeless really. You know what you are getting is all I am saying. They are great trucks for the majority of folks.

This is coming from a FORD guy lol.

I have heard that from so many people now. I am looking at a few a Sierras and Silverados for sure. Here is one with the smaller engine that I have my eye on.
http://www.kelownakia.com/used/Chev...ado+1500-0f384131404638d31ead24f212b83fbb.htm

I am about to trade in my Ford heavy duty diesel on a Toyota tundra. this is the 3rd ford diesel I have owned and they work great. plenty of low end torque are their forte but at this point, more truck that I need. I had a 8' camper and was hauling my 10k boat and trailer with this rig without issues but the camper is gone so why have this overkill truck? the tundra will be my second and since they have increased the tow capacity on the crew cab to about 10k, fits my needs perfectly at this point. I am not a chevy or GMC fan and never have been. have owned a couple and had great problems all the way along with both of them. looking at the interiors, I don't think they have updated their switch gear since the 80s so I am not impressed with them. the gas engines have far less torque but that is to be dealt with. mileage is about the same as the diesel on the hwy and a bit less towing but it will takes years to make up that difference in expense. the Eco Boast engine in the Ford would be nice but the premium you pay for it is not worth the expense given the years to make up the cost for gas. if towing a boat is the major issue, a gas engine truck is where you should go as again the premium for a diesel is too great unless you really need that extra capacity.

5.3 is a great engine. IMO it's the best gas engine chevy offers. Good mpg, good power and torque, reliable.

I have a 2010 GMC Sierra 1500 LTE ext cab reg box bought Nov 2012 with 30,000 kms. Talked em down to $19,000. Has bumper to bumper warranty still. Tow package, locking rear end, box liner, 6 speed auto trans, bluetooth, 17" alloys. Comfortably seats 4 adults.

Back