Trophy XL QR Wanted x2, rods would be a bonus!

scotty

Looking to upgrade, I would love a pair of trophy xl QRs I believe. Can't quite bring myself to purchasing islanders. You know if someone has rods to go with those reels I may be persuaded. I have been fishing with the 7000 c for at least 15 yrs now. That was an upgrade, from the Diawa reel with the counter on the side a long time ago. Reeled in a fish on a buddies boat with an islander and it just brought back those memories! Worst case scenario, Father's Day at Berrys! What a treat for Dad.

Looking to upgrade, I would love a pair of trophy xl QRs I believe. Can't quite bring myself to purchasing islanders. You know if someone has rods to go with those reels I may be persuaded. I have been fishing with the 7000 c for at least 15 yrs now. That was an upgrade, from the Diawa reel with the counter on the side a long time ago. Reeled in a fish on a buddies boat with an islander and it just brought back those memories! Worst case scenario, Father's Day at Berrys! What a treat for Dad.

I have one brand new, never used. Has backing and 25lb Maxima loaded. Bought it on sale at Nikka on a good price but never got around to doing the Wolf handles and Islander spring upgrades. I'd probably part with it for the sale price loaded i paid for it so you would save the tax. Not really interested in giving it away for less than that. Pm me if your interested. Probably have an extra rod I'd part with too. I've collected a couple of dozen.

Funny I have a pair I was going to list in the BNS pm sent

I went through this same dilemma with my Shimano moochers...

QR is nice, but the Amundsen tmx4-g at PNT is the closest to an islander for non islander reels.. I have an mr3 and the Amundson feels almost identical in the hands...

Try to find a store that holds a multitude of islander alternatives and see what feels best. To each their own, but I'm sure one will feel correct for you.

That being said I fish my reels in trophy rods, good product.

Sorry if I derailed the convo - I just wanted to share my experiences with aluminum reels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got some nice 10'6" Moochers by Shimano if you are interested.

Which ones are they FM? I was going to recommend him some techniums or convergence's

Army and Navy downtown Van has Rapala Nortcoast reel with magnum mooching rod on sale for $199 for the pair .

Haven't fished either myself, but they seem to be prevalent on the fishing forums and tv shows.

Which ones are they FM? I was going to recommend him some techniums or convergence's

Older Convergences in Heavy and Techniums in Heavy...not a whole lot different than the Medium Heavy in action.....but more power..a Medium Heavy is more a 3 power rod whereas the Heavy is a 4 power rod.

Hey there FM I spoke to hookin up and he said you might have something, do you use 10'6 or have you used 9' before what are your thoughts.

Love the 10'6" convergence. Beautiful versatile rod great on the rigger nice tip to feel every move the fish makes decent backbone nice price.

Hey there FM I spoke to hookin up and he said you might have something, do you use 10'6 or have you used 9' before what are your thoughts.

Finally cleared out my inbox.

If you have a smaller boat, 9' is good.

10'6" gives you power, control, pressure and the ability to really feel the fish.

My experience from guiding with 9' and 10'6" tells me 10'6" are much more productive! On the Great Lakes with level wind charter boat special cheater reels, a 9' rod is standard! but an ornery 25-50 plus pounder requires a rod with power.

My rods are Power Moochers, 10'6". 15-30 lb test. I have first and second generations. The first generation rods are excellent rods.

I have Techniums....same rod....but they miss the feel of the convergence since they have the fibreglass over the graphite.

I have 4000GT in first generation as well. Ready to fish.

Back