Trolling kicker control???anyone try these???

Wolf,

I haven't used the TrollKing one but I've got the Troll Master. I've had it for the last three seasons and love it and would feel lost without it. It has very sensitive throttle control and after catching a fish you can go right back to the same exact speed with a click of the button. I imagine the TrollKing is very similiar.

http://www.troll-masterpro.com/

I bought it direct by calling them. They have given great customer service to me too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sort of reminds me of that thing you twist on the end of the tiller handle, I forget what it's called... oh yeah - the throttle!

You guys are suffering from that terrible infection Gadgetitis Spendalotta.

Me, I gob in the water and watch how fast I'm passing by it.

That Troll Master 3 looks interesting, if it adjust your RPM by 50 at a time it would be nice. What kind of price are these?

When I was looking to buy the Troll Master it was a little more expensive than the TrollKing, but not much. I think Cabelas carries them too. When I bought I got the best price by calling him direct but maybe he doesn't sell direct anymore as I don't see prices on his site.

I had one thought it would save a bunch of bickering with the better half when I was working the stern but I was never satisfied with controlling the revs on my kicker to my liking .I never could find my trolling zone it seemed to flucuate on me so I installed aft controls for my kicker.Might have just been my unit though.
kronic

I bought a used Controllking that just happened to be the right one for my trolling motor for $100. I figured that i've spent more than that on a bad ( or good ) night drinking. Best investment I've made, Controllking not the drinking. Love it.
BS

I've had a Troll King for 19 years on my charter boat. Love it, precise rpm control and a toggle switch that allows you to cut the engine to dead slow to play a fish, flip the toggle back after and go right back to your original setting. Easy to install and reliable.

Looks pretty cool. I'm just running a rear helm with full throttle controls which makes it easy to adjust. Old fashioned but it works ok.

I have full main and kicker controls aft and up front. The Troll King is great on bad weather days when I'm sitting inside. When I want to bump up the speed when I turn into the wind or drop it down when going with it...I don't have to go outside to make that adjustment. If I'm out back when a fish hooks up I just tell however is inside to flip the toggle to idle and the kicker rpms drop off to an idle. I can then take over on the rear control. When done I flip the toggle back and its back to the same speed again.

Hey Wolf I got that same unit for Christmas (how did she know?). Kicker is still in the shop but should be out next week and I'll put in on and let you know. The install looks easy with only a couple bolts to loosen and a couple electricial connections. My Buddy fishes solo alot on his Arima and swears by it.BRS

VERY cool yes let me know ... thanks

Finally got to try my new throttle control and it is definitely worth it. I'm gonna order one for Bushy this week he's pretty happy I got it, especially on a day like yesterday with heater on an curtains closed! The install was pretty basic and didnt take too long. I bought some velcro to secure it to the dash and it worked fine. Anyway two thumbs up and anyone have any questions let me know. BRS

I have a friend from San Francisco who keeps his boat here in Tahsis who has one of these. It looks older than the ones that Wolf linked to, but essentially the same thing.

It works very well. I've used it while onboard his boat. I'd love to have one on mine.

It allows you to control the speed perfectly from the forward station in the cabin without having to run out on deck to change speed. Very handy when you change direction from running with the wind to running into the wind. It also has a button that allows full-throttle while you hold the button down if you need to move quickly.

It's one weakness as I recall was a cheap relay that goes on the motor to control the throttle. He had to replace it a couple of times and the company rep once told him to get another brand of relay that was much better than what the manufacturer supplied. That seemed to fix the problem.

Control King was founded by 2 people whom later split up. Control King was the orginal device they produced and one owner got the rights to it. The other owner founded Troll-Master and improved it's design, function and new/better servo motor (Controls throttle). Hense, this is why the Troll Master is the preferred model to buy. I purchased the Pro 2 online last year from http://www.troll-masterpro.com/ and recived the unit within a few days(No duties but paid PST/GST and $5.00 handle fee on customs. Don't know how I ever fished without it and a must if you fish alone like I do. Micro adjustments mean you get precise troll speed , and no more fighting, tapping the throttle. I have it mounted on my dash as did not need to walk around with it and wanted to keep it out of the weather(Rain/water). Cheap and great investment

/FISHON

Thanks for that F.A.
I must have missed our $ dropping, it's listed at $269.99 Usd, $276.99 Cnd.
They're opening a new store in South Edmonton this year, maybe I'll wait until then, or if it's available out on the Island, I'll check there.

Back