Trollers blast $30-million salmon treaty as 'buyou

Sushihunter

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080523.wbctreaty23/BNStory/National/home

Trollers blast $30-million salmon treaty as 'buyout'
U.S. to pay Canada to reduce catch off B.C. coast; commission defends deal as necessary to save stocks from extinction
MARK HUME

From Friday's Globe and Mail

May 23, 2008 at 4:51 AM EDT

VANCOUVER — A $30-million payment to Canada by the United States under the newly negotiated Pacific Salmon Treaty is expected to raise sovereignty issues because the money will be used to buy out a fleet of commercial boats in British Columbia.

"I think we're about to be exterminated. ... This looks like the end of an era," Kathy Scarfo, president of the West Coast Trollers Association, said after being briefed on the agreement, which was released yesterday. "This is a buyout. It's an expropriation of the salmon troll fleet."

The Pacific Salmon Commission, which arrived at the new deal after 18 months of negotiations, describes the $30-million payment as money provided "to support transition in Canadian fisheries impacted by the conservation measures outlined in the agreement."

Those conservation measures call for a 30-per-cent reduction in the salmon catch off the west coast of Vancouver Island, where most of the fish are headed for rivers in Washington and Oregon, and a 15-per-cent reduction of the catch in Alaska, which should benefit Canada by allowing more salmon to escape to spawn in northern B.C. rivers.

Ms. Scarfo said it was clear that the big cutback on Vancouver Island's west coast will fall on the shoulders of the troll fleet, which operates 160 vessels out of small coastal villages such as Tofino and Bamfield.

"The days of looking at a harbour and seeing it full of salmon trollers are over," Ms. Scarfo said. "This is very sad."

She said the deal doesn't spell out exactly how the 30-per-cent catch reduction will be made but she has been told it will come almost exclusively from the commercial allocation, not the sports or native catches.

"We take the full hit," she said. "So if there are 100,000 fish [to be caught] off the west coast of Vancouver Island, the recreational fleet will take 50,000, the natives will get 5,000 ... and if they take 30 per cent off the top that leaves 15,000 [for the troll fleet] and that would support about 15 boats."

Ms. Scarfo said she would prefer the fleet to voluntarily tie up, with compensation paid to help fishermen survive until stocks rebound.

But she said the U.S. money is tied to "transition in the Canadian fisheries," which to her means the troll fleet is to be retired permanently, through a buyout.

"That raises several issues and the first one is sovereignty," Ms. Scarfo said.

"We are opposed to it out of principle - you don't sell your natural resources," she said.

Ms. Scarfo said she didn't know how many of the 160 trollers would willingly accept a buyout. The fleet, which is currently fishing, is being informed of the deal in a series of phone calls.

The agreement, although negotiated by the Pacific Salmon Commission - a joint U.S.-Canada body - must be ratified by both governments before it becomes official.

"It's not a done deal. ... It has to get endorsed yet," Ms. Scarfo said. "There will have to be a debate over this issue, and there should be because this is a national issue."

Arnie Narcisse, a Canadian commissioner on the Pacific Salmon Commission, said salmon are in trouble all along the West Coast of North America and a joint effort is needed if they are to be saved.

"As far as I'm concerned, the paramount importance is to protect the brood stock right now and hope for the best for the future because everything else seems to be working against the fish. ... Anywhere you look they are experiencing problems. It's just a miracle they are keeping going," he said.

"I've been very explicit in terms of my recommendations ... it's the conservation of the stock, first and foremost."

Mr. Narcisse said Canada and the U.S. can't afford to go back to the days when they engaged in "fish wars" in which each side tried to catch the other's salmon.

"God knows it's going to take all of our co-operation to save whatever the hell is left out there. Any confrontation ... any little fish war or anything like that will just drive certain stocks to extinction," he said.

Driving the new treaty has been the total collapse of salmon runs in California, Oregon and Washington, and dismal returns to the Fraser River, so small even native food fisheries are being restricted.

In addition to the $30-million payment from the U.S., each country will contribute $7.5-million over five years for a salmon tagging program and the U.S. will provide $10-million to study chinook stocks.

My Comments:

(Jim Pook, from Tahsis, BC, Canada) wrote: If you want to save the Salmon on the West Coast, (and I do!), there are a number of things that need to be done:

1. 1- Increase the budgets and the output of all hatcheries. They have been starved of funds in recent years and taken over by a "only a wild fish is a good fish" mentality. Hatchery fish in the wild is exactly the same as a river spawned fish.

2. 2- Cut back on the commercial fishing fleet, primarily the seine
boat fleet. The commercial Salmon catch is 92% of ALL Salmon caught.

3. 3- Stop the Herring fishery, especially roe-on-kelp fishery. If you want more Salmon, they need more food.

4. 4- Clean up and fix all the Salmon spawning rivers. Logging and
urbanization have hit these rivers hard. No spawning rivers - no Salmon.

5. 5- Logging is closing down all over North America - this would be a good time to put loggers and logging companies to work in fixing the damage they have done to Salmon streams in the past.

6. 6- Stop the native poaching in the Fraser River Canyon. These fish
are being sold by the tractor-trailer load. Stop it - stop it NOW!

7. 7- Make the West Coast fishery a separate ministry from the East
Coast fishery. Two Fisheries Ministers: West and East, and never the twain shall meet.

8. 8- Clean out the deadwood from DFO. There are some good people
there, but there are also many who wouldn't know a fish if you slapped them across the face with one.

If all of these steps are taken, we could have a flourishing fishery in 8 to 12 years. Putting restrictions only on sports fishermen is not the answer - they only account for 3.9% of the total Salmon catch. Fixing the problems is where this is going to be successful. Write your MP and make it happen!
Disclosure: I am a Fishing Guide on the West Coast of Vancouver Island. www.JimsFishing.com

* Posted 23/05/08 at 8:51 PM EDT

You got my list nailed Jim, except for a few of points. One, we need to make sure that any enhancement work that is undertaken is balanced in that it focuses attention on treating the river system as a whole ecosystem and therefore targeting enhancement activities (hatchery + habitat) on all species using the river system. Every species has a purpose in the ecosystem and get that out of balance (ie. focus on chinook and coho only) and you run the risk of making things a whole lot worse. Start with the pinks who are the river fertilizers and finish with the chums who move the gravel around and tend the spawning beds - not to mention are great food for coho, chinook and steelhead smolts. The problem is highly complex, and requires a similarly well planned response. On the commercial fishing front, we need to buy back as many licenses as possible....not just trollers. And...make sure we don't just rationalize the fleet only to hand over the same fishing capacity to FN. We need actual reductions not just one's on paper. My third point, is we need to manage the fishery to ensure true abundance, not just how we maximize harvest. I would also add to that list a seal cull, things are out of natural balance - time to act.

Searun:

Thanks for your comments. My list is by no means a "complete" list of what needs to be done, but something I wrote in about 5 minutes in response to the original article.

You have certainly added some flesh to the bones I put up.

As for a fleet buy-out. It has been done before, at least twice, and both times the government re-sold the licenses a few years later. Licenses need to be retired until such a time as the numbers allow more fishing pressure - and only enough that we don't wipe out any progress we made.

It’s a hard call when it’s someone’s livelyhood that gets yanked out from under them, and I can understand why commercial fisherman would be upset over the whole deal. But I love fishing and one day down the road I can only hope that my children will have the chance to love it as much as I do. In order for this to happen something has to change, or more accuratly many things.
A buy out may seem like a betrayal to the commercial vessels who don’t take this route but as fishing is already beginning to faulter it could be the saving grace for those who do – especially if the price is right.
Personally I wish there were unlimited funds to pay them each a ludicrously fantastic reward with the intention to have them volunteer the early retirement of their vessels.
I pay taxes for a lot of stupid things where I am, as do most if not all of you. It would be nice if Canada, specifically BC put some cash in the pot to sweeten the load and make this transition a more favorable one if I buy out is to insue.
Great comments on things we should do. Please continue -make some noise and get heard.

I really don't understand the government's cheap mentality on this subject. People of BC have to realize that once the salmon are gone they are gone. The time to save them is now. Every year that we don't institute huge change is just going to cost us that much more later on. Lets fix it while its crippled not when it has its parts strewn everywhere and nowhere to find replacements.

End rant.

I would like to see the financial difference between comercial and recreational fishing. What does each put into the BC economy?
Does anyone have those numbers?

Jamie

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Guy

I would like to see the financial difference between comercial and recreational fishing. What does each put into the BC economy?
Does anyone have those numbers?

Jamie

Check with the Sport Fishing Institute - they commissioned a report in the mid-'90's that details the economic benefits of the sport fishery.

I remember meeting the guy who did the report at some function - I can't recall his name off the top of my head, but I saw his name on a new report just a few days ago - might even be on this site somewhere.

Something like Grislion or something - I'd know it if I saw it.

There have been lots of economist reports on the subject over the years. Bottom line is recreational fishing out contributes over the entire commercial fishery by an enormous margin. Moreover, we use around 5% of the total allowable catch - commercial is 90%+. If any sector has to give something back and has the opportunity it is the commercial sector. I do appreciate that for these guys it has been a way of life, however we need to rationalize the fleet when guys retire. They should not be allowed to sell licenses on the open market. Rather, when you are done with the license the buy-back program should kick in to buy it at market rates so the commercial guy is treated fairly, and leaves when he wants to hang em up. If we had started this type of buy back program - pay as you go - we wouldn't be forcing anyone out against their will as we are now. I'm a little concerned about these short sighted attempts, especially knowing that a few years from now we will see those same licenses back on the water and have learned nothing from the costly venture.

I think this might be the report I am looking for - still have not found an online copy...

NR-PR-96-11E

February 23, 1996

REPORT OUTLINING THE ECONOMIC VALUE OF WEST COAST CHINOOK AND COHO RELEASED
VANCOUVER -- A report entitled The Economic Value of Salmon: Chinook and Coho Fisheries in British Columbia was released today by the ARA Consulting Group.

The report was commissioned by the federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans and the B.C. government following recognition from all parties that more quantitative information on the economic value of recreational and commercial fishing is required for effective fisheries planning.

The consulting group was assisted by a steering committee consisting of government, commercial and recreational sector representatives. More than 70 interviews were held during the course of the study.

The report is expected to provide a better understanding of the significant contributions made by the recreational and commercial fishing sectors to the economic wealth of Canadians, and to assist fisheries managers in developing fishing plans that ensure economic sustainability.

The study will be made available to Dr. Art May, who was appointed by DFO in January to serve as an independent advisor to review long-term fisheries allocations on the West Coast. The appointment is one of the recommendations made by the Pacific Roundtable, a commercial stakeholder body established by the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans in the spring of 1995 to address the renewal of the commercial Pacific salmon fishery.

Copies of the report are available upon request from DFO's Program and Planning Branch, at 666-2975.

For information:

Gordon Gislason
Senior Consultant
ARA Consulting Group
(604) 681-7577

Can someone explain why a commercial fishing license can be "sold on the open market"?

Im telling you right now as a sport fisherman we are going to get hammered next year with this signing if it happens bet you maybe on spring a day or maybe none. Big brother(USA) is again pushing us around if this gets done we are going to get it right up the butt!!!!

There numbers are a little off based but they know ya right!!!!!

Dont say I didnt warn us all very very very bad deal for canada!!!

Wolf

Open market is simply when a commercial fisherman wants to get out of fishing they can advertise their boat and license or license for sale and it goes to whom ever wants to pony up the cash. Just like selling a car. What I was referring to is close off the option for them to sell to just anyone, instead requiring the license to be returned to the crown when they are finished with it at what is market value. That value could be established using a fair formula that takes into account current market value plus or minus inflation and other market factors such as the overall commercial value of the profits that could be realized through such a license. Its not complicated. If you want to see what they are worth check out the commercial fishing boats for sale through the attached website: http://www.pacificboatbrokers.com/

Searun

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Im telling you right now as a sport fisherman we are going to get hammered next year with this signing if it happens bet you maybe on spring a day or maybe none. Big brother(USA) is again pushing us around if this gets done we are going to get it right up the butt!!!!

There numbers are a little off based but they know ya right!!!!!

Dont say I didnt warn us all very very very bad deal for canada!!!

Wolf

Looks like I better start putting the outriggers and tuna tower on right now!

Back