Trim Help Please

Btobacca

I have a 2004 Johnson 140 HP outboard. The trim works on the motor just fine. The down trim on the controls works just fine. The up trim worked just fine, but just stopped working. Anyone know what the problem or fix might be? I was working near the control wires installing a speaker. Maybe I pulled a wire from the controls? Help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Check the wires, switch, put 12v to the trim motor and make sure it works in both directions, then you know its bad wires or switch.

Check the wires, switch, put 12v to the trim motor and make sure it works in both directions, then you know its bad wires or switch.
Thanks Ryan, I will try that out! Unsure what you mean by put the 12 v to the trim motor? Do you mean put the 12 v wire to the up and down connectors in the switch in the controls to make sure they are working? Sorry new to this boating thing. Thanks

I meant supply power to the trim motor directly, but if it works in one direction I think you can rule out a fault with the motor itself. Most likely a bad switch.

I meant supply power to the trim motor directly, but if it works in one direction I think you can rule out a fault with the motor itself. Most likely a bad switch.
Ya trim on the switch on the motor works. Just the up trim on the controls. Down works. I’m thinking wire or switch maybe. Nothing to do with hydraulic fluid?

It can also be the trim solenoids. My 97 200 Yamaha has a solenoid for up and one for down. Your engine should be the same...try switching the wires from one to the other and see if you get the up back and loose the down. That would confirm a bad solenoid for the up.

Last edited:
Follow the elect current from the bat to the switch to the hydraulic motor , if all checks out and If it stops when up, tap on the hydraulic cylinder with a piece of wood, if it starts working, safe to say its issue is nside the hydraulic motor . My bud just went threw this and he went threw the same

It can also be the trim solenoids. My 97 200 Yamaha has a solenoid for up and one for down. Your engine should be the same...try switching the wires from one to the other and see if you get the up back and loose the down. That would confirm a bad solenoid for the up.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will pull apart the controls and test it out. My Dad’s 2001 Evinrude had that issue but it was the up trim for the motor and controls. Turns out it was a solenoid. Any idea where the solenoids are located? Cheers

They will be attached to the engine block. On a 140 Johnson not sure where...Google "140 HP Johnson trim solenoid" for a picture of what they look like...then you will know what you are looking for.

They will be attached to the engine block. On a 140 Johnson not sure where...Google "140 HP Johnson trim solenoid" for a picture of what they look like...then you will know what you are looking for.
Hello Profisher,

just located the solenoid. Switch the blue and green wires up. Motor would then tilt up when I hit down on the control tilt button. When I hit up it wouldn’t tilt down. Is that a sign of a need for a solenoid replacement or something else?

cheers

Those are realys not solenoids. 5 pin with normally open and normally closed

Blue is up because the sky is blue

Green is down because the grass is green

It proves that the down relay is working fine as when you switched them around you got up...your up relay is dead. You put the down on it and then you lost down. Get a new relay for the up one (the one the blue wires were on originally) and put the wires back and you should be good to go. I guess OMC used relays..Yamaha solenoids.

Hold on not just yet

Switched the motor wires up or switched the inputs from the switch up?

He said he found the relays and switched the wires. Didn't mention talking the control box apart.

I switched the relays on the motor up. I didn’t open up the controls. But when I switched them when I hit down on the button on the controls the motor went up, when I hit up on the control button nothing happened. The tilt on the motor works up and down fine, it just won’t tilt up on the controls.

It proves that the down relay is working fine as when you switched them around you got up...your up relay is dead. You put the down on it and then you lost down. Get a new relay for the up one (the one the blue wires were on originally) and put the wires back and you should be good to go. I guess OMC used relays..Yamaha solenoids.
Thanks so much for your help! I think I’m starting to figure this boat stuff out a bit. Any suggestions on where to purchase a relay for a 2004 140HP Johnson. Is it a pretty easy change out? Thanks

Back