Travel question - towing on the Coquihalla

TinCup

Hey everybody i am heading from Comox to salmon arm and wondering what route to take. I have only driven the Coke once and it was in a small car so i was flyin. This time its
2006 F150 5.4L crew cab towing a tent trailer albeit a larger heavier one with a slide out, i am still well below tow ratings as the trailer will have no water so just under 3000lbs and factor another say 1500lbs in people and gear.

My question is should i tow the coquihalla or take hwy 1. I have heard lots of horror stories of towing on the coke but i am thinking this setup should still handle it fairly easily no?

You should have no problem with that setup as long as your truck is in good working order and don't try to fly up the hills. Take it easy and you should be fine. TF

I tow from the Okanagan to Ucluelet in a 5 liter 1996 F-150. You'll be fine. When I came home yesterday (left the boat there) the tow trucks were very busy, but mostly with minivans towing stuff and 1970s motorhomes. There were dozens of boats making their way here for the long weekend. The worst part is the long hill coming up out of the snowshed. That's where the tow trucks were mostly. I carry extra water and coolant, and keep an eye on the temp gauge, but so far so good.

I have done that route many times from the OKanagan to Vancouver Island in my Jeep with 4.7l HO v8.
My boat weighed about 5000 pounds. I tried to time my travel either early morning or in the evening when the air was cooler. As Trophy said just take it easy. Find the happy spot in Rpm's and hold it there. Watch your temperature gauge. Mine was 3500 at 90km going up the steep hills and yes I could go faster but would only cause problems I think.
With your rig and trailer should be no trouble.
Have a great holiday!

Coke is fine. I have done 3000lbs trailer plus a full carload with a 5.3L and it was no biggie. Don't mash it, stay in rightmost lane and you'll be done before you know it. I think I slowed to 65km/hr as I had to slow to avoid a transport heavy load before changing lanes. My biggest worry wasn't up but down the other side.... Happy I have engine brakes + new speed limits. I barely touched the pedal brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ive done the coq with my 1500 gmc 5.3L towing 12,000lbs.... slow lane and watch temps, slow as required. make sure cooling system isnt leaking/ old hoses etc... youll be fine

Tire blew on my boat trailer on my way home from the Okanagan yesterday, no biggy quick change and back on the road.
Make sure you check tire pressures including your spares. Also if the trailer tires are more then 7years old, think about replacing them even if the tread looks fine, tires deteriorate with age.

Dont let the truck keep shifting, check tire pressures like others suggest and make sure spares are in ready to use condition. Just did that trip last week, left home with 1yr old trailer tires inflated properly and when we got to summerland trailer tire had tumor ready to blow.

Back