Transom saver needed?

kitman

Hi there, any suggestions do I need a transom saver on my 15hp 110lbs outboard with 11ft inflatable boat ?
Pic attached.....thank you for any suggestion.

Attachments

• 20210819_192743.jpg
    20210819_192743.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 52
Hi there, any suggestions do I need a transom saver on my 15hp 110lbs outboard with 11ft inflatable boat ?
Pic attached.....thank you for any suggestion.
Transom savers are not really ever needed. Youre meant to trim you outboard mostly down so the torque of the outboard doesnt flex your transom when its trimmed up. If you do use a transom saver it goes from the outboard to the trailer. I dont use one the idea is if you backup and hit something with the skeg it doesnt rip your transom apart.

There are a couple of good reasons for a transom saver - for larger motors anyway. Minimises the impact load from road bumps both to the transom and tilt/trim seals. Most outboards provide a trailering stop that relieves the tilt and trim hydraulics from impact pressure, but that now transfers the bump energy to the transom.

Which is exactly why youre meant to tow with the motor trimmed down. But a transom isnt going to take any damage from trailering its designed to hold that weight. However if you backup and jam the skeg into something its going to possibly damage something. A transom saver is added protection like keel guards. You dont need them but if you have them cant hurt.

Back