Transducer placement

leftcoast

How far under the water does your transducer have to be? The reason I ask is my transducer produces a spray which hits my main motor and drives me nuts I run 95% of the time in the salt so I don't want that spray on the motor I like to keep things clean.
Is this spray a sign the transducer is to low or to high? What do you recommend? Looking at my water line when trolling I think I need to raise my transducer so it will be out of the water when running on plane. Is this what most of you guys do?

Thanks Leftcoast.

The transducer is for a Lowrance sounder so I don't use it when running it's not a combo so no need to use, only use it troll and it works fine. No issue with operation just spray when cruising.

Mine sprays as well (not a lowrance)
I just put up with it. I don't want to relocate as it reads well where it is now.
other option is to try it in your bilge ?

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking of just leaving it as well since I have never had a problem with it reading the spray just drives me but maybe spray is better than drilling another hole in my transom.

Is there a gap between the transducer and the mounting bracket? On mine, a hummingbird, there was a gap and water would spray up over my motor when on a plane. I simply used some electrical tape and wrapped around the mounting bracket closing off the hole. No more spray and mine works while on a plane too.

Mine sprays like that too, I am going to try the tape method, never thought that that gap could be the problem. but after looking at it from that perspective, that may indeed be the cause. thanks for the idea

Back