Transducer issues

TheHurtLocker

Looking for some help. I was out last week and my gps/sounder had an issue. Its a 957c Humminbird, its been working perfectly for the last 3 yrs. The sounder quite working, no reading of depth, just the gps worked.

I did a shut off and restart and nothing no readings. Checked all connections from transducer to the unit and still no readings. I have been on the island the past week and bought a new transducer to replace, when taking the boat out today everything worked... I'm going to replace it anyway just wanted some thoughts.

Also since this happened I was thinking of installing a second on board for back up? Any issues with this, or mounting the second transducer? Can it go beside the first or is there a distance away it needs to be?

Thanks THL

running a second ducer is a good idea. or a second cheap unit, but, if ya run em at the same time , you can get ping at your second unit, doubling depth, clutter, etc.. i got a cheap one hooked up at the stern.

I ran into the exact same thing (elite 5). Depth flashing, can't mark fish, barely catch bottom unless I was in 70 ft or less.
I took my head unit onto my buddy's boat to test it, it worked perfectly . So I bought a new transducer, and it's working perfectly again. Marking fish , showing depth at 500'. I was real happy!! Likely is your transducer, maybe you hit something with it by accident?

I run two on my boat with no issues, a HDS-5 and a crappy, cheap lowrance sonar. I glance back and forth for peace of mind and they always read the same depths. The HDS-5 scrolls a bit faster though.

Transducers don't last forever!! They usually consist of a quartz crystal (or several) that vibrates at given frequencies and give out a pulse of sound(ping). They can stop pinging-usually caused by a hard blow such as hitting something at speed. I have an older Lowrance LC 15 mt -the ducer went and I replaced it with an airmar P-66-the old sounder never worked this good. Yes you can run two sounders at the same time-just make sure they are on different frequencies.

My transducer begins to lose lock at times especially at great depth once it and the boat have been sitting in the marina for sufficient time to have a little weed/growth, small barnicles etc. start growing on it. The solution is obvious; keep it clean.

Back