Transducer aging.

Kristo

I have a B744 transducer that is 20 years old installed on a Simrad Evo 2 and it doesnt seem to be working as well as what I think it should. Airmar says that transducers can lose power as they age die to the element changing electrically.
Sound reasonable?
I fish and prawn locally mostly around Georgia Strait.
Am thinking to replace with B60 a B75M or replacing with another B744.
Thoughts?

I have a B744 transducer that is 20 years old installed on a Simrad Evo 2 and it doesnt seem to be working as well as what I think it should. Airmar says that transducers can lose power as they age die to the element changing electrically.
Sound reasonable?
I fish and prawn locally mostly around Georgia Strait.
Am thinking to replace with B60 a B75M or replacing with another B744.
Thoughts?
I don't know about aging. I just pulled a 5 year old Airmar off my boat to replace it because I was getting inconsistent readings. Installed a new p66. Got home and inspecting the old Airmar I found several tiny wear throughs of the wire shielding down to bare wire. Very very tiny. Almost had to bend the transducer wire to see it, but they were there. Several of them. Just a ****** environment for electronics to hang out in, I guess.

So I replaced the 20 year old B744 with a new B60 and am pleased with the results.
On the first outing the 50khz side is now useable and the 200khz was showing arcs at 200 ft which I never experienced before.

Back