training for proper handling and releasing of fish

Dave S

What would all of you guys and gals say if there became a rule that required one person on a boat had a certificate for proper handling and releasing of fish? Maybe just a quick online thing that taught the do's and don'ts. Seems to me that it's reasonable and fair to ask this of anglers. Maybe I am out to lunch. Maybe it's just an extra hand out when everyone gets their license that goes into some detail on catch and release, use of nets, handling, etc.

I know to become a CTAG certified guide this is discussed at length. The proper handling and releasing of fish is very important to them and they ask many questions in regards to this.

I know that you have good intentions with this suggestion, but do you not think this will be "Opening Pandora's Box"?

Ya I think it would be tough to gain support for 'release certification' although I do appreciate your sentiments as well. It is pathetic to see so many guys (some guides as well) who have no knowledge/care when releasing fish.

I know that you have good intentions with this suggestion, but do you not think this will be "Opening Pandora's Box"?

Sorry for the hijack...

The thing that brought to my mind C&R nets was a fishing show I recently watched...Nice Fish was hosted by a guest host who was fishing in the Alberni Inlet with a guide. They kept a couple, then started releasing...their releasing technique went something like this: net the fish in one of those stiff nylon nets with the big knots and dump it on the floor, weigh it, take a couple pictures and then unceremoniously drop/throw it over the side...:(
At least with a soft knotless net, donkeys like this would do a bit less damage...still not ideal, but better...and those who insist on netting every coho prior to identifying it as legal or not would also do a bit less damage.

I've long since voluntarily retired my old school knotted nylon net and would hope that anyone that ever puts a net under a fish that may be released does the same!

perhaps an easier way to minimize damage would be to make soft bag C&R nets manditory...

this is a good idea, its crazy how most guides haven't switched out their bags to soft release nets. I actually can't remember the last time I saw someone else with a release bag come to think of it.

A related post is:

What do you think of voluntarily releasing gravid female rockfish using approved methods (apparently a weighted plastic milk container works best as the puncturing of the swim bladder can lead to puncturing other organs if done improperly)...

I'm thinking something like a province-wide SFAB initiated education/promotional campaign..

What do you think?

A related post is:

What do you think of voluntarily releasing gravid female rockfish using approved methods (apparently a weighted plastic milk container works best as the puncturing of the swim bladder can lead to puncturing other organs if done improperly)...

I'm thinking something like a province-wide SFAB initiated education/promotional campaign..

What do you think?

personally I think you're just sinking the evidence. i'm not sure there's any evidence that'll survive once sent to the depths.

personally I think you're just sinking the evidence. i'm not sure there's any evidence that'll survive once sent to the depths.

Hey Poppa

I think the answer is maybe, or maybe not - mostly dependent upon depth caught and how handled.

Many of the recreationly-caught jigged rockfish could survive if handled correctly, or so some of the information out of California & Oregon says. Look-up:

http://oregonstate.edu/ua/ncs/archi...ully-released-rockfish-can-survive-barotrauma
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/groundfishcentral/barotrauma.asp

have a read. ls hear what everyone thinks...

What would all of you guys and gals say if there became a rule that required one person on a boat had a certificate for proper handling and releasing of fish? Maybe just a quick online thing that taught the do's and don'ts. Seems to me that it's reasonable and fair to ask this of anglers. Maybe I am out to lunch. Maybe it's just an extra hand out when everyone gets their license that goes into some detail on catch and release, use of nets, handling, etc.
Fresh or saltwater, all anglers should have to take a c.o.r.e. similar test, it is crazy we allow people to angle without education! So many more fish are lost due to improper handling, it just makes sense!

Fresh or saltwater, all anglers should have to take a c.o.r.e. similar test, it is crazy we allow people to angle without education! So many more fish are lost due to improper handling, it just makes sense!

Just keep in mind that NOTHING is wasted in nature-- one dies-- something else eats. Until someone can demonstrate that there is a REAL problem, not just an opinion driven problem, I dont think we need to go as far as a mandatory test.

CL, I realize that "nothing is wasted in nature" but the fact that humans have caused the premature extinction/collapse of so many species should cause one to not take that statement so literally. I feel that it applies more relevantly to a time when humans didn't possess the technology to hunt/fish a species permanently out of the ecosystem in such a short period of time as we are capable of in today's world. I'm sure betting many of the species listed on the link below wish there were a few more regulations around to protect them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Species_made_extinct_by_human_activities

http://listverse.com/2009/07/25/10-recently-extinct-animals/

Well I cant think of ONE example of sportfishing causing the extinction of any fish.. Perhaps I have missed something???? Now lets talk commercial industrial fishing-- Thats different!

Well I cant think of ONE example of sportfishing causing the extinction of any fish.. Perhaps I have missed something???? Now lets talk commercial industrial fishing-- Thats different!

With current slot restrictions in play and likely more in the future, it only makes sense to, in one form or another, educate anglers on proper handling and releasing techniques. There is no way recreational anglers will ever be solely responsible for the extinction of any species, it is likely that we could be part of the problem. If we are responsible for measuring, handling, releasing over size salmon because of slot restrictions, we should all be educated in doing this correctly. The Fraser River chinook will only benefit from this.

They will also benefit from not having to dodge nets once they arrive at the fraser......and btw, there is no slot restriction further up the coast for those fish, they swim by the whole west coast of the island, the whole ETC slot restriction is a political play and completely pointless...holmes*

Net dodging is a whole other issue. This is a discussion about whether or not to educate anglers on proper handling and releasing. And yes, I am aware of the slot restriction areas affected. Doesn't make a lot of sense either.

Teaching is great!

Wow! Really? How many fish were caught and released this season. How many died from avoidable handling? We all could list hundreds of closed areas around our province due to poor fishing management and anglers. We are not innocent, that's bulls--t. commercial fishing, logging, fish farms, loss of habitat but oh no there is no way the thousands of sport anglers are causing any damage. Lets start making better anglers, better sport anglers, not duffers and poaching guides.

I swear by the catch and release nets at Trotac, heavy rubber no scale loss at all and no damage from lifting fish for gaf release. I did ask Gibbs to make one years ago with them saying to heavy these ones Paul brought in are great, will hold or better put stretch to hold a 25 lb chinook. great nets highly recommened.

Back