Trailer hubs - What are these?

Franko Manini

Folks,

Here are the hubs? Spindles? Lube points? For my trailer. He'll, I don't even know what to call them. But I know they need grease. I pulled the caps off and gave them a few shots of grease tonight. Old dark grease came back put of the face of these lube points after a few pumps on the gun. Every trailer I have ever seen has had bearing buddies. These are not buddies. There is no spring loaded plate on these. The rubber covers that snap into the face of these say "Dexter EZ Lube". I will look the up on the web, but what I want to know if do they suck or not? And if they suck, what do I need to do about changing them to a better system?

Here is the spindle with the cover on...

ezy8ypet.jpg

And with the cover off so you can access the grease nipple.

4u4yzuza.jpg

Thank guys,
Franko

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
those (EZ lube) are actually a really good spindle hub assembly. I have them on my triple axle 16K trailer... the spindle assembly is drilled down the center in order to get grease to the back bearing without having to repack everything manually. regular hubs would usually need to be dissassembled and repacked by hand in order to ensure fresh grease was in the back bearing... with your setup grease gets into both front and back bearings properly when lubing with a grease gun. much, much better than bearing buddies. don't change them...

Last edited by a moderator:
These are very good spindles. The grease comes out the front so that it pushes any water that went through the cap back out. I also doesn't push the grease out through the back and onto you trailer brakes like bearing buddies do. If you ever do pull them apart make sure to get the correct spindle seals. They are slightly smaller diameter than the regular spindles and if you get the wrong seals your brakes get greased.(learned that the hard way)

agreed. Probably the best youre gonna find. the grease port is axially bored onto your spindal and exits between both bearings ensuring both bearings are getting an equal amount of grease.

Back