TR3 issues

I have had TR3’s for three years now and generally I like them very much. But I have twice had a problem which was similar on both occasions.

What has happened is that the reel is working fine – drop down on the downrigger, tighten-up clutch and low and behold have had a take only to find that the spool is locked up pretty much solid and the only way that line can be retrieved or given is to loosen the clutch almost completely off.

Both times Pacific Angler have rectified the issue for me quickly saying, I believe, that the pawl had become dislodged and stuck. Apparently, Islander have been consulted who have said that they have had the odd similar issue. I am losing confidence in a reel with which at first, I was mighty impressed. My serial numbers show these were in the first 1000 batch. For the price one should expect better.

I have two TR3s and they both have drag issues after a 2 month season. Ive regreased them several times but the drags are super sticky and grabby, the drag also self-loosens sometimes when a fish makes a big run. When theyre performing as they should theyre easily the best reel ive used for trolling. Switched mine out for our lodge TR3s and after a short while one of them had the same issue.

Sending all 4 in for servicing soon.

Ya, same issues on TR-3 reels purchased for this season. While the first run seems to be performing as expected, the later run (like mine) are very poor. Main issue for me is the drag locks up (as in fully backed out) when you have a fish take a long hard run. I also had one reel where the reel literally fell apart. I think they forgot to use lock tight on the center spool pin, and when the drag locks up it rotated the center pin all the way out. Apparently according to Islander the bearing failed, not so sure about that but whatever - reel was only in service for about 30 days guiding. Sent it back for repair and they stripped off all my new and expensive Suffix 832 braid...apparently they do that on all repairs, so before you send them in probably a good idea to strip and save your line if its new braid etc.

Needless to say the TR-3 isn't the reel I was hoping it would be. Way too many issues so far, and buyers remorse is setting in hard. The only solstice is the lifetime warranty...they will be going in for service every time there's an issue.

To be fair, when working the reel does have smooth drag and the paddle handles are a big improvement over standard issue round ones on the MR-3 reels. They are also easy to maintain given the new drag system - big improvement over cork drag.

I sure hope the guys at Islander are listening to the feedback and taking steps to figure out a fix so they can improve on the current version. Hoping they can retrofit the older production reels to address these issues.

Last edited:
Ya, same issues on TR-3 reels purchased for this season. While the first run seems to be performing as expected, the later run (like mine) are very poor. Main issue for me is the drag locks up (as in fully backed out) when you have a fish take a long hard run. I also had one reel where the reel literally fell apart. I think they forgot to use lock tight on the center spool pin, and when the drag locks up it rotated the center pin all the way out. Apparently according to Islander the bearing failed, not so sure about that but whatever - reel was only in service for about 30 days guiding. Sent it back for repair and they stripped off all my new and expensive Suffix 832 braid...apparently they do that on all repairs, so before you send them in probably a good idea to strip and save your line if its new braid etc.

Needless to say the TR-3 isn't the reel I was hoping it would be. Way too many issues so far, and buyers remorse is setting in hard. The only solstice is the lifetime warranty...they will be going in for service every time there's an issue.

To be fair, when working the reel does has smooth drag and the paddle handles are a big improvement over standard issue round ones on the MR-3 reels. They are also easy to maintain given the new drag system - big improvement over cork drag.

I sure hope the guys at Islander are listening to the feedback and taking steps to figure out a fix so they can improve on the current version. Hoping they can retrofit the older production reels to address these issues.
I replaced all the handles on my MR3s and MR2s and now I'm happier than I ever was with the TR3s. Having to yank line out when setting gear was just way too annoying for me.

I’ve had my TR3’s for a couple of years with no real issues. Mine were binding up and making some weird noises when I had fish on taking runs. What the problem was, is salt build up where the two reels meet. I gave them a good cleaning and no issues. Maybe the same with yours Blair.

used the TR3's last summer Blair , same types of issues ,the worst possible times lol , last one was a hook up that went into a full on free spool , birds nest city , final straw for me , got rid of them at the end of the season ,liked my Mr3's better honestly...
anyways fished my new Abels pretty hard this summer , flawless , worth the extra few bucks imo...
hope ya figure it out ... thinkin the early TR3 gens were better....
(Ive got 4 Blue mint Amundsons for sale if ya want em ;) )

used the TR3's last summer Blair , same types of issues ,the worst possible times lol , last one was a hook up that went into a full on free spool , birds nest city , final straw for me , got rid of them at the end of the season ,liked my Mr3's better honestly...
anyways fished my new Abels pretty hard this summer , flawless , worth the extra few bucks imo...
hope ya figure it out ... thinkin the early TR3 gens were better....
(Ive got 4 Blue mint Amundsons for sale if ya want em ;) )
Aint that the truth, the Admundson's are probably a far better value. You could buy a lot of them for back up, and their drag system is pretty decent overall. Big buyers remorse for me on the TR-3's. Sort of stuck with them now.

Aint that the truth, the Admundson's are probably a far better value. You could buy a lot of them for back up, and their drag system is pretty decent overall. Big buyers remorse for me on the TR-3's. Sort of stuck with them now.
I traded my used one for a brand new MR2LA and some other goodies and I was happy with the deal. The other guy was tickled. Mind you I only paid $500 for mine at a silent auction ;)

ok, this is coming from a guy that works on all types of reels. Hardest one was a Calcutta TE400 I had. A lot of little parts.
I bought 2 trophy Tyee's and after running 4 lines for most of the fall the 2 Diawa M-One's are far superior to fish. You can set them in the rod holder without having to crank the drag down hard like the Tyee's. When we hit a fish on the Tyee the first thing you have to do is screw around with the drag to make sure it is soft enough. Not on the Diawa. I've fished a few from MR2's, TR3's, Amundson and also some reel a buddy had that the drag was built in so you didn't need to let go of the handle when fighting a fish.

I took one of the Tyee's apart to clean as it went swimming in the salt and there is not much too these reels.
I can't remember the MR3's what they were like in the rod holder if you also have to crank the drag down or it slowly releases line like the Tyee.
I did pull a part the M-One's and upgraded the drags to kevlar. Performs even better.

I'm a little more practical than "Hey Look at that Cool reel" lol

I could see if you guide the durability of the expensive reels is worth it but as for $100 Diawa you can buy a new one every year and always have a new reel. lol

I'm not going to waste any more money of these reels as I feel they are WAY over priced for what you get. You can call them the "Harley" of fishing reels. lol

Cheers, Rob

I traded my used one for a brand new MR2LA and some other goodies and I was happy with the deal. The other guy was tickled. Mind you I only paid $500 for mine at a silent auction ;)
Your reel has work well for me... I have 5 TR3 now been using them all for over 4 seasons :) have had 2 small problems over that period time...:)

Your reel has work well for me... I have 5 TR3 now been using them all for over 4 seasons :) have had 2 small problems over that period time...:)Nice,
Nice, So when you have the TR3 in the rod holder and set up for a strike... you can pull the drag out fairly easily? Just wondering. My Tyee's are cranked down but the Diawa's will pull easily when a big fish hits hard and takes off.

Back