TR3 issues

trophywife

Crew Member
anyone have the newest Islanders? i bought 3 and 2 have had odd issues..
customer held onto the reel too hard on decent trolled hali, let go and the reel spun so fast that the pawls flipped. fubar free spin, i had to palm the sucker and carefully reel in from 300' out. grrrr .
other reel problem, very sticky drag that grabs inconsistently, damn near feels like it binds right up.
mr3's always needed love, but never had these problems.

great problems mid season. now running back up amundson and faithful shimano 2000.

Friend of mine bought two and sold both after dealing with same issues for the year he had them. So your issues aren't too uncommon cause ive heard similar things from others about them too.

Im currently using Hardy Longstones built in 1938 and 1939. Zero issues working like new. If Hardy can make such a superior reel so long ago that lasts so long with no issues why is it with the technology these reel makers have today they continue to fail miserably at creating as good if not a better reel? Ive owned a lot of Islanders over the years and have sold all but two as they are just spare back ups now. My 2 cents.

If only someone would manufacture a pretty frame to drop the guts of a Shimano GT4000 into....

Apologies for the derail...

customer held onto the reel too hard on decent trolled hali, let go and the reel spun so fast that the pawls flipped. fubar free spin, i had to palm the sucker and carefully reel in from 300' out. grrrr .
other reel problem, very sticky drag that grabs inconsistently, damn near feels like it binds right up.

great problems mid season. now running back up amundson and faithful shimano 2000.
My son and I are running a pair of tr3 for 3 years now with no real problems. I find I back the drag of when I’m setting my gear out then reset the drag. Otherwise my had gets sore pulling out the line .
:)

If only someone would manufacture a pretty frame to drop the guts of a Shimano GT4000 into....

Apologies for the derail...
they also have load up issues too. no derail. they work.

This why I still run my old mr2

The only issue I have with my TR3 is its price tag, other than that it is the best Islander I have ever owned
I sold my MR2's and my MR3's will be back ups
So impressed with my single TR3, I ordered another one but there is a waiting list to get um ....... yup another issue, waiting:mad:

I’ve had my MR3’s for about 8 years now and all I have done is change the bearings twice. Good maintenance helps them perform properly

Call Islander! My TR 3's are from the first batch of 200 reels produced and a few years old and have been nearly flawless. They have been serviced once by Islander. I still have a bunch of MR 2's and MR 3's but hard to go back.

Call Islander! My TR 3's are from the first batch of 200 reels produced and a few years old and have been nearly flawless. They have been serviced once by Islander. I still have a bunch of MR 2's and MR 3's but hard to go back.

Shameless plug, if you're sick of tripping over mr2s, hit me up I'm after one as most of the free world already knows...

Back