Towing regs for trailers over 8'6"

ratherbefishing

Hi all,
I have put a call in to the local Weigh Scale for information but thought I would ask here as well to see how widespread the 'issue' is. I will be towing a boat with a beam of 9' 6" (here in BC). The trailer will not be wider than the beam so total width on the road will be 9'6". Are there wide-load considerations when towing this (i.e. do you think I will need to sign the front of the truck/rear of the boat) and flag? 8'6" seems to be the 'legal' cutoff for permit requirements but the verbage is vague as most of the references are to large commercial carriers.
Cheers
RBF

X2 on what Last Chance said. It's not a problem unless there is a problem.......then it will get sh*tty in a hurry for you. I have done it like many others but it's sort of in the same category as packing a camper or pulling a fifth wheel. At the end of the day you are responsible for it all especially if there is some sort of accident. It sucks and for most responsible drivers that have a reliable rig for pulling and are cautious while they tow it's not an issue. Depending on where you are towing I wouldn't worry too much. IMO I know on the Island in the summer you just have to watch all the big boats from down south coming across on the ferry and I haven't seen to many signs or doubt they are permitted up. Just my two cents.....

As one fellow I spoke to last summer from Oregon, it's almost impossible to tell the different between 8-6 and 9-6. He was on the ferry, on BC, Washington and Oregon with no problems. Kind of like those speed highway that are not black on white. If you have a problem you are responsible

It probably is no problem to tow a 91/2 ft boat with Oreagan plates in B.c. if it is legal without a permit in ORE-your problem in B.C. is that over 8.6 you require a permit if you are a B.C. lic. boat and trailer. Will anybody stop you-probably not-if you get into an accident will ICBC pay-there is the question. They are a gov't insurer and if the boat is on the road without a permit-it is illegal and if it is a really big payout -will they pay?? Legally -probably not.

Cheers all. The issue for me is IF there is an accident...and that is an IF I do not want to mess with. It sounds to me like the permit is cheap (i.e. $30/year ish) and there is a requirement to add wide load signs and flags. None of this is really a big deal. There are limitations as to where you can go (i.e. avoid downtown Vancouver) but anyone who tows wouldn't go there anyway!

Still waiting to get the actual requirements in writing but it doesn't any more painful than trying to get vessel reg numbers.

I believe the pemit is in the range of 300 a year- wide load and flags are not required up to 9.6-only over that. Sounds almost like a tax grab doesn't it!! This is my understanding and that's why I tried to make sure I bought a boat that was 8.6. The 30 buck thing is per trip! I could be wrong and if you have or get the actual regs I'd love to hear the actual details.

I think day permits are in the $10 to $15

Ratherbefishing...Here is the deal..I tow a 30ft. Monaro on a triple axle trailer, 9'6" beam.

1) 8'6" - 10' you need an overwidth permit issued by ICBC, as someone has said earlier, its about $300 a year. No signs are required just 12" flags on the widest part of the load
2) 10' - 11' same as above but "wide Load " signs are required in additionon rear of trailer
3) over 11' same as above but pilot car is required in addition.

Also , I don't know the weight of your rig, all up, but if you are towing a trailer over 4600Kg ( 10,000lbs) you are required to have a heavy trailer endoresment on your class 5 licence, or a class 3 drivers licence.

Those are the laws, if you want to CYA. Like others have said on here many, many tow without proper licencing and coverage. If an accident occurs you or I, or any other member towing here will most likey not be the problem, it,ll be the dude zipping around in the red sportscar, but then the s**t will hit the fan cause you are not adequetly licensed. Here are the links; take the time and do it right...Just my 2cents...Ahab

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/tps/index.htm

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/getting-licensed/towingrv

Yep what cpt.ahab says.
I'm going to be building some with 10.5 beams.
Going to get interesting.
Just a matter though of a permit, and wide load signs.

My class 01 comes in handy lol.

Ratherbefishing...Here is the deal..I tow a 30ft. Monaro on a triple axle trailer, 9'6" beam.

1) 8'6" - 10' you need an overwidth permit issued by ICBC, as someone has said earlier, its about $300 a year. No signs are required just 12" flags on the widest part of the load
2) 10' - 11' same as above but "wide Load " signs are required in additionon rear of trailer
3) over 11' same as above but pilot car is required in addition.

Also , I don't know the weight of your rig, all up, but if you are towing a trailer over 4600Kg ( 10,000lbs) you are required to have a heavy trailer endoresment on your class 5 licence, or a class 3 drivers licence.

Those are the laws, if you want to CYA. Like others have said on here many, many tow without proper licencing and coverage. If an accident occurs you or I, or any other member towing here will most likey not be the problem, it,ll be the dude zipping around in the red sportscar, but then the s**t will hit the fan cause you are not adequetly licensed. Here are the links; take the time and do it right...Just my 2cents...Ahab

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/tps/index.htm

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/getting-licensed/towingrv

Great post and thanks. I'm looking into something bigger in the next couple of years. Good to have the fact's straight.

Cheers,
John

According to the reg's as of July(T-53-A) & August (T-53) 2011 it states:

1) From 2.6m to 3.2m (8' 6" to 10' 6") red/orange flags all four corners (Daylight) & lights (Night Time) no signs but need a permit.
2) From 3.2m to 3.5m (10' 6" to 11' 6") red/orange flags all four corners (Daylight) & lights (Night Time) Overwidth Signs, a permit and a Pilot car or beacons on your tow vehicle.
3) From 3.5m to 3.8m (11' 6" to 12' 6") same as above (#2) but you have to have a pilot car even if you have beacons on your tow vehicle

Our term permit for 1 year is $360.00

An over size boat (8' 6") is quite easily spotted. I personally wouldn't get caught without a permit. My guess... the cop who stops you will impound the boat and trailer, and issue you a nice big fine. Plus you will get to pay all the towing and storage expenses.

The permits are way to easy (and cheap). They can be done online, over the phone, and/or by fax. In BC just call ministry of transport and tell them how many days, provide them with the plate numbers and a credit card. They will give a permit number over the phone then fax or email the paper work. Mark the widest points port/starboard with the red/orange flags for day travel and be done with it.

Yup avoid any trouble this way. Much easier to deal with in BC than in AB as alberta uses private issuers and they can be a pain in the a**.
An over size boat (8' 6") is quite easily spotted. I personally wouldn't get caught without a permit. My guess... the cop who stops you will impound the boat and trailer, and issue you a nice big fine. Plus you will get to pay all the towing and storage expenses.

The permits are way to easy (and cheap). They can be done online, over the phone, and/or by fax. In BC just call ministry of transport and tell them how many days, provide them with the plate numbers and a credit card. They will give a permit number over the phone then fax or email the paper work. Mark the widest points port/starboard with the red/orange flags for day travel and be done with it.

Back