Towing on gravel, input requested

easydoesit

I’m thinking about towing my 20 ft fibreglass boat to Zeballos next year. I drove the road this year and considered it to be in pretty good shape for a gravel road, admittedly we followed the grader in.

My concern is damage to the boat hull from gravel. I know some people use plywood panels or nets plus mud flaps etc. Interested in what works for you in these conditions.

thanks guys

I’m thinking about towing my 20 ft fibreglass boat to Zeballos next year. I drove the road this year and considered it to be in pretty good shape for a gravel road, admittedly we followed the grader in.

My concern is damage to the boat hull from gravel. I know some people use plywood panels or nets plus mud flaps etc. Interested in what works for you in these conditions.

thanks guys
Drive slow so the rocks don’t fly.

Expect a dust filled boat. I did the Bamfield Rd once and either stayed on blacktop or boated in from then on. Why not run it in from Gold River while someone else drives in?

If you really like your boat, don't do it. Go by water. Dragged my boat in there a few times over the years, and its really hard on trailers, let alone your boat bouncing along. If you do decide to do it, drive in at night after the logging trucks are off the road. You don't want to meet one of them on a sharp corner in the canyon section.

Almost everyone I've talked to who've driven that road or Moutcha Bay say they got flat tires on their trailers, had damage to leaf springs and that the dust was so bad on arrival they had to find a way to clean the boat out. I guess its a personal thing but just be prepared with multiple extra spares, and lots of trailer type heavy tools. And a BCAA RV tow membership.

I pulled my boat out in gold river instead of towing it out of Moutcha bay. Thats not a great option for zeballos though, slightly out of the way.

thanks guys
I would never consider owning a boat trailer without a rock guard, even when towing on pavement we all know some of the worst rocks we’ve gotten is on the pave. A good one isn’t cheap but neither is hull repair. I don’t see a boat in that country with them, out here it’s rare to see a set up without.

Attachments

• 0804113A-8434-497B-8E3C-A02593C28D1A.jpeg
    0804113A-8434-497B-8E3C-A02593C28D1A.jpeg
    382.8 KB · Views: 105
Thanks to all for your input.

Even though it’s a short stretch, I gather it is very hard on boats and trailers. Will examine the Gold River option.

As others have said, it is best to avoid trailering in to Zeballos. Launch at Gold River and run your boat in from there, maybe 1 1/2 to 2 hour run, definitely no more unless you’re going either real fast or real slow. The whole trip is in inside protected water, just avoid the afternoon Westerlies if possible. Also, Gold River is a much better ramp with much better parking than Zeballos ever thought of. Better all ‘round.

Note if launching/pulling out in gold river, give your trailer driver a handheld VHF (I had no cell service). Things got interesting while i wondered where my driver was and couldn't find somewhere to tie up just to see if if he was in the parking lot. He was only about 10 minutes behind me, but I had no idea what was going on. The boat launch is in the river, it has a narrow approach with not a lot of room to wait for your turn. Timing might be trickier as the drive from Zeballos to gold river is farther than my trip which was Moutcha bay to gold river.

Otherwise the actual launch is great, in fact I haven't had the chance to use a proper launch in my life...screwed up my whole routine.

Check the tides and avoid low water at the ramp and if you can ….get there early morning and make the run to Zeballos with flat calm inside waters.

why would you tow your boat off road on gravel lol.
its a boat -- boat to whatever offroad location you want.

Back