Tool Kit Thread and questions

So we all know to ditch the wing nuts on start and house batteries and go with proper SS nuts and lock washers, right? On most batteries I've seen, the posta are different sizes to lessen the chance of connecting reverse polarity.

My suggestion is to head to local pawn shop/flea market and pay one or two dollars for a double-ended wrench with 1/2" and 9/16" openings, or whatever size your particular battery needs. Wrap the handle in bright coloured electrical tape for visibility and jam it into a battery box or somewhere handy so it's always available to remove a battery without rooting around in the regular tool kit.

So we all know to ditch the wing nuts on start and house batteries and go with proper SS nuts and lock washers, right? On most batteries I've seen, the posta are different sizes to lessen the chance of connecting reverse polarity.

My suggestion is to head to local pawn shop/flea market and pay one or two dollars for a double-ended wrench with 1/2" and 9/16" openings, or whatever size your particular battery needs. Wrap the handle in bright coloured electrical tape for visibility and jam it into a battery box or somewhere handy so it's always available to remove a battery without rooting around in the regular tool kit.
Great idea with tape! Also reduces chances of an accidental short with the wrench.

I carry a spare Racor Fuel filter and a strap wrench. water pump pliers ,small crecent wrench , assorted screw drivers and a can of "spray and pray" electriclal contact cleaner and a small wire brush. spare fuses of various amperages and of course WD-40, tye wraps, and electrical tape. i also carry the correct size socket/rachet for my prop and a spare prop. with cotter pin. chances are if i need more than that i will be getting a tow home anyways.

i also pack a liter of eng oil, hydraulic fluid for steering and trim tabs(run the same oil in both).

most importantly i carry spare digital screens for my scotty HP's that are apparently made of sugar and rice paper as they seem to fail when they get wet. (always well stocked on the scotty parts, belts, brake pads, spare clips that sort of thing)

i like the idea of this battery booster deal think i might pick one up.

Back