Too much transom weight on Kingfisher Discovery 2025

Was looking at buying a Kingfisher Discovery 2025 Extended transom but dealer had one in the water with a Suzuki 225 V-6 (580 lb) and said the transom was under water and that's without water in the live well, trolling motor batteries or 100 lb kicker or fishermen at the back How would this boat work for fishing, cruising or even trolling. How is Kingfisher going to address this. Maybe I should stick to Hewescraft or Thunderjet. The Kingfisher is the nicest looking boat with most drawers but if it has to stay in the driveway , not good

When it comes to boat nicest looking doesn't mean anything. There are some really ugly boats that are very nice!!! I would take a hewes or a thunder jet over the kingfisher. Stainless rails bolt to aluminum is the first turn off for me. I have owned both a hewes and I currently on a thunder jet. Pros and cons to both the thunder jet is nicer with better wiring and better finishing but it cost more. The hewes was utilitarian and tough, 150hp is all you need for a 20 foot boat unless you want to fish 5 guys in every trip.

The photos on the website seem to show the top of the transom extension pretty much at the water line. Specs indicate a transom weight limit of 900lbs.

Hummm- my 20ft tin Alumaweld Intruder (no pod) with a 115 Merc 4 stroke (400+ lbs) and 9.9 kicker, 200 liters of gas, three guys and all our gear PLUS a large cooler full of ice gets up easily and scoots!! Maybe the 225 Zuke is just too heavy for the Kingfisher?????

Perhaps a pod? Adding a pod will increase buoyancy. $4500 solution though.

I'm sure it would get up and scoot but the extended transom is under water and of course the front end is way up, has anyone seen or own one?

I've seen your posts on here and over on the Hewescraft forum. And I think you may be looking at the wrong boats. The hewes sea runner ,pro v and the Harbour craft are marketed as small ocean boats or big water lake boats. They just aren't designed as high speed flat water boats. I don't know your exact conditions but it almost sounds like you need a fresh water tournament boat like a bass boat (small boat made for a big motor and high speeds). Or maybe a big lund they are rated for big power and are normally pretty fast. What is the most popular 20 foot fishing boat in you area ? I run a 18 foot Sea runner with a 150 motor on a very large fresh water lake and it will run mid 40 mph speeds in the 3 seasons I've had it it's only been wide open a hand full of times. Because the lake is normally choppy and running fast reduces the range of the boat. A 20 foot alloy boat is no fun at high speed in a short lake chop. I often run at 25 too 30 mph at 3500 too 4000 rpm. That type of boat works well at those speeds even in a fair chop. Good luck with your boat shopping. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're going to spend that much money on a new boat, DON'T buy the boat that has a problem right out of the gate.

It probably didn't have a full fuel tank, couple 100lbs of the usual gear, fishermen, kicker etc.

Don't try to talk yourself into why the problem might not be that bad, the dealer has told you the boat sucks.

Wait I don't get it, are you saying there is a flaw in the design of this boat and they've got the swim platform too low?

2025htfeatures01.jpg

Wait I don't get it, are you saying there is a flaw in the design of this boat and they've got the swim platform too low?

No, he is saying it apears with a 200hp it sits stern heavy and bow high. he is asking for others with this boat if this is normal, the flaw is more then swim grid hight.

I wouldnt put anything less then a 200hp on that boat.

For 70 k you will be able to get more boat. I would be looking at a 21 with the wider beam. To give you an idea i have a thunderjet 21 offshore model. Which is kind of funny because i dont consider it much of an offshore unit. But anyhow it is a foot longer and a bit wider than the ones you are looking at. It has a 225 suzuki and a 9.9 and it will do 50 to 55 mph depending on conditions. The swim grid is still about 4 inches above the water with me standing on it and im 210. Just another option for you.

That's the kind of info I'm looking for. The Kingfisher in the picture is what I was hoping for in the soft top version but apparently with a 225 suzuki the platform sits well under water. Now fill the transom livewell, a full tank of gas, a couple 200 lb+ guys, a four stroke kicker, 2 downriggers, 2 extra batteries for the trolling motor and gear I think it would be well underwater. I fish about half my time on Lake Superior trolling and large inland lakes for walleye. I just like the power for getting on plane, mostly run about 30 mph but a few tournaments a year where most others use crestliners, lunds and starcraft in the 18-20 foot range, their speed is low 50s.
I really like the platform as it prevents large waves from coming in the back, makes way more fishing room and also allow for a camper top, so a Hewes, Kingfisher, Thunderjet type of boat has all these. I can't go too big as the boat gets trailered every time. My Crestliner Phantom 180 is fine but a rough ride in anything above 1 foot waves, can't drive on plane in anything much bigger without destroying stuff. I have a 175 Merc Black max and a 15 Merc kicker both 1991, boat is an 89. It will run 50 to 52, once or twice a year in the tournament starts to get out of the way and stay out of others wakes.

Have you looked at Weldcrafts. Awesome boats. Heavy duty transoms that can take a ton of weight. I own one and love it. The rep is on the island. Rods Power and Marine in Port Alberni and Tofino. They make all different sizes for different applications.

Wow, looked at Weldcraft and Thunder jets, they may be the ticket to my needs, any other with the extended transoms worth looking at?
Thunder 21 what model is yours?
Chasin dreams which one do you have?
Thanks

Duckworth and weld craft are the same family. Small variations in the boats. Chasins boat is huge. About 8 ft longer than what you're after. What my wife calls my new home if I were to show up with it unannounced Lol

Duckworth and weld craft are the same family. Small variations in the boats. Chasins boat is huge. About 8 ft longer than what you're after. What my wife calls my new home if I were to show up with it unannounced Lol

LMAO at that Deejray ;) I might end up living in mine the amount of time I'm out in it I may as well anyway lol. I'm sleeping in it tonight as a matter of fact! Kind of like an affair with a boat. Only this way it's not technically adultery but I still get a new piece of tail every week or so if they're biting ;)

Pierre there's a few models both from Thunder Jet and Weldcraft that would suite your needs. Mine's a 260 Cuddy. More of a house on the water like Deejray said lol.
Here's a link to Rods Power and Marine's custom rigged boat inventory:
http://www.rodspowermarine.com/inventory.php?category=Custom Rigged Boats&new=1

Back