TOMIC PLUG : The most popular colors for salmon on plugs

602 all day long......

Yeah we like the Tubby's....

That one was caught off the Hyson doing 3.0 mph. Not smoking fast;).

Last edited by a moderator:
I fish plugs all the time.
Inside and outside.
6" 600 tubby #1
6" or 7" 727 standard
7" Mike pilchard (the holographic version) but you have to know Mike or it doesn't work as well
5" 600 standard when smaller baits are around. Great on the inside.
I catch fish on other plugs as well but these are the ones we regularly fill the boat with.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.
We did check the action for a bit next to the boat, but never got above 2 knts.
Pythagoras is more than my friend, but a 45 degree angle is much different than a 60 degree angle, where soh cah toa is a better friend.
I was just wondering if guys used plugs for deeper (200+) trolling.
Great pics Sculpin!

Pythagoras is more than my friend, but a 45 degree angle is much different than a 60 degree angle, where soh cah toa is a better friend.
Great pics Sculpin!

Absolutely-off-shore they are devastating at 200+ Just remember to hammer the power on a pin-popper as you won't be able to take up the belly in the line fast enough. A big Spring will always rocket to the surface with a plug as there is no flasher to hold him back.

Pythagoras worked mostly on straight lines :) - but the down rigger cable is curve under the water - e.g. a 45 degree angle at the surface eventually turn into a less angle at the ball. So if you can't see the ball on the sounder, I think it's easiest/best to drop to the bottom and come up a bit from there. But as for running 'em deep - as other have said it's deadly offshore. We often have 200+ feet of cable out at Swiftsure or other banks farther south.

They fight different when hooked on a plug.
Definitely don't like the plug hitting them in the face.

My favorite plug colors for Sooke and inshore Bamfield are:

I usually use standard 5" or 6" plugs unless I will be trolling slower than normal for some reason, then I may use a tubby version. I love it when a big spring is hooked in shallow water (less than 40 feet) on a plug and rockets to the surface and crashes about, adds to the drama especially when in a pack of boats.

...Rob

Everyone likes tomic plug to use for catching big springs. Tomic told me that the poplar 500 is 3 x sale more than other plugs but the 602 popular as well. So everyone likes to use 602, 500, 545, 232 and 700. I believe those poplar plugs are good to use it.
I cannot wait to get my new repaint plugs will come up in middle of January :)

Thank for a pic. and Its very cool and Great pics Sculpin!

Thank you for feedback.
Discus.

Great pics Sculpin!

I've 20lb+ springs going up to 6 knots - you can't go to fast, but you can go too slow. If it was me I'd shoot for around 3mph.

You're gonna get blow back and its going to be harder to get deep but that's just the way it is when trolling fast.

We often run plugs as deep as 300 feet or even 330 in WH.
Great pics Sculpin!

Back