TOMIC PLUG : The most popular colors for salmon on plugs

Discus

I have about 24 tomic plugs between 3' and 7" . They are near to washed out. some plugs do not work when I tried to use it for catch salmon. I am thinking about some lures might be change colors and they need to do re paint.

I would like you share with me what you use the tomic plug fishing in Sooke area , Port Renfrew .. and your experince about the tomic plugs and the tomic spoon.

I made copy and paste from the Tomic 's website http://tomiclure.com/colours/popular-colors/

The most popular colors for salmon on plugs:
94 109 156 158 203 500 530 530g 545 546 600 602 603 632 639 700 727.

Thanks for your time and sharing with me.

Discus

I fish almost exclusively in Renfrew and therefore Swiftsure. I too have a huge collection of Tomics but the ones I use most for spoons are .....500(Tom Cod-black Spots)....602......632.......639 and 652. I buy the same patterns in plugs as well and have fished the 545 and 546 pilchard pattern with good success in the last few seasons in both plugs and spoons. For offshore fishing anything in the 600"s for colors will be good as they all glow and most fishing out there is a little deeper. I have ordered all these patterns with black spots as well but I don't notice any real difference in them out fishing the regular ones? But I like them better! lol

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple I really like that i don't see posted above are 232, 407, 408. I think the 602 is for sure one of the better color patterns and seems to work well every where. Never under estimate the power of the 4" plug either, those little buggers slay everywhere, 700 is a beauty

602 and 652 are the only ones I own in all different sizes.

plugs-in-sooke.jpg

When I commercial trolled years ago,my skipper,who was a phenominal plug fisherman only ran a half dozen or so colors.
109 scale back,111 scale back,232, 500,602,and 700 if my memory serves me.My biggest spring in my 4 years as his
deckhand was 52 lbs. dressed and came on a 232 7" off Long Beach. I still have the plug in my tackle box to this day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Tomic 500, 600, 602/603, 632, 84 FLG and the 700 with good success. Both Standard and Chubby models in 5" and 6"

Thank you for your sharing and feedback.

I find the most popular are 602, 500, and three tied are 232, 632 and 652.

I decided to pick out 602 and 500.

Thanks
Discus

Talked a buddy into going out yesterday around Shelter Point with some plugs, targeting winter springs.
We were fishing in 210' and putting the gear down to 180 or so. We ran dummy flashers off the 15# balls.
Picked up some lingers quickly, but no springs, only saw one landed and he did not have a flasher rigged.

Question is: what speed to troll at? We were getting significant blow back at anything above 2 kts.
Fish shallower? Ditch the dummies?
They sure were easy to retrieve!

Question is: what speed to troll at? We were getting significant blow back at anything above 2 kts.
Fish shallower? Ditch the dummies?
They sure were easy to retrieve!

Do what your doing and use bait or spoons. Or try going faster and run plugs without dummies. Run the plugs 50 feet or more back. If you are going 3-5mph you will need to put out more than 210 feet of cable in 210 feet of water. Pythagorus is your friend.

Back