TIMING OF SMALL BLOCK CHEV.

Wireman

I am trying to find out what the total advance timing is supposed to be on a 1980 volvo AQ 260 engine.
I know the initial timing is 8 degrees BTDC
If any one could help it would be greatly appreciated
Cheers

How is it set?
  1. Determine your desired total timing.
  2. Set your Timing Light to your desired total timing.
  3. Start the engine (IF you have Vacuum Advance, disconnect it.)
  4. Rev the engine past the point where your mechanical advance is fully engaged. (Usually, 3,000 - 3,500 rpm will do it.)
  5. Watch the timing mark on the harmonic balancer using the timing light.
  6. Rotate the distributor until the timing mark lines up at zero with the light.
  7. Tighten down your distributor.
total timing IMO set 34-36 BTDC as a starting point

use the info above, do you have a timing light that you can set how many deg btdc you want manually? also remember your prob going to have to test it out and see if those intial numbers work for you, might need to back it down or crank it up more if you find its not quite right.

try both might as well, its going to be a trial and error but 28-30 is quite low imo especially for a boat considering the drag the hull is under when in the water running.

youll hear the ping/rattle if its too much so start lower and work your way up, your carb should be adjusted as well to make sure the timing and jetting is working together.

I find your question a bit strange/unique.
Some places can run up your distrib and make a graph for you, but not sure where.
Use a new distributor. set your initial timing at idle speed in gear. Check to see if there is enuf power by getting up on plane, top speed.
Advance your distrib to as much as 14 degrees advance, when at idle in gear. Check to see if there is enuf power to get on plane, top speed, pinging/detonation etc.
there should be way more power with the heavily advanced timing. Unleaded gas needs longer to burn. It will run a bit huffy and puffy when coming back in to the dock.
The exhaust valves and seats will burn down at 1000 hours, then get a head and valve job.

Base timing is just that,it's a starting point total advance is most important.
My dist.will put out a total of 24 degrees of total advance.
I know need to figure out how far do I push it
I don't have a race engine with fancy heads and pistons or high compression
It's stock 1980 260 HP 4 barrel chev based engine with electronic ignition.

Back