Tides

So I'm going out this Friday and Saturday around Vancouver to hopefully get some fish, as last weekend sucked for me. I checked the tides, and there is only a 2 foot difference between low and high on both Friday and Saturday. Does that have any effect on the fishing? Is it better to have a larger difference between low and high to move the bait around? Or is it better to have a small difference? I guess the currents won't be too bad, so it might be easier to get the right trolling speed. Anybody have any thoughts on the tides?

Bottom fishing for Ling is good for me on those tides where you get a high slack and then a low drop. Probably because the reef fish are moving around more due to less current and are easier to pick off by Lings.

Fish and bait have more chance to move around freely when their is little current and tide.

So the fish could be shallower and dispersed more ..not near their usual holding points to keep out of the current.

Moving migratories use tides to move on. So when there's not much tide they will stick around for the duration.

Fish that hug sand bottoms to get out of the current ,will move around more in the situation you describe. The bait doesn't have to fight the tide either or be at the mercy of it.......so the bait can forage at will too.

It's like when it's really windy outside, you will seek shelter in the lee of a building or whatever. But when it stops blowing you get out and move around freely.

Last edited by a moderator:
salmon fishing is seems best at times of strong tides; fishing seems better to me at or near full moons; at these times they like to bite at the tide changes; slow tides are a good time to bottom fish for halibut or rockfish or as said ling cod;tho fish can and do bite anytime; good luck get out there

Back