Thompson River Stories: Share Yours!

I fished with this gentleman for a few days as he was a friend of a fishing buddy of mine from North Van. I did not see him hook a fish but he could sure peg a cast out there.

Sharphooks, that may have been Fred Badjura. He was a fixture on the Thompson and was famous for the cork floats he made.

He took me under his wing one year that I was up there by myself and on a cold streak. I learned more from that man in 2 days than I could have in years trying to figure it out on my own. I believe he turned me into a competent and confident fisherman on this river.

He did a lot of work for the biologists up there. He caught many fish for them to radio tag. They shared a lot of the data with him and he had so much insight into the behavior of these fish that no one could ever have otherwise.
Yes, my first thought that is was Mr Badjura

It was indeed Fred Badjura! Soon as I heard the last name the memory bell got rung.

It was amazing how well he knew the river. My thing with the THompson wasn't going for numbers but trying to see how many different places I could get fish In spots where I wouldnt see people. Fred got me down to Last Chance and Jade Springs and Gospel Rock which all produced for me. He also told me about the Ladder Hole. First time in there I hooked a screamer and stood completely gobsmacked as it took off downstream through 6 foot standing waves heading down into the depths of the canyon. It could have been a 10 pounder or a 20 pounder---no idea. I remember smelling burning reel grease ....my hands were covered with a black film and they were shaking like I had palsy when I reeled 200 yards of line back in without the fish on the other end

I also remember Fred warning me that the values for Super Silexes and Jewels would go off a cliff as the steelhead were getting over-fished by the FN's down in the Fraser and would soon be wiped out. He was saying that 15-20 years ago....wow, he knew something the rest of us didn't long before it finally happened

A lot of the wiping out of this run was also caused by the Chum fishery in the Fraser. These runs moved upriver together from what I was told. In years that there were lots of openings almost all of the fish I saw landed up there had terrible gashes caused by nets.

One of the hottest fish I ever hooked was while fishing with Fred and a fellow that I fished together with for a few years from North Van. We were just above the big rock at Lytton. I was the lowest, then Fred then George just above. We were having a very quiet day and as you do on days like this, I had gotten into the autopilot casting, drifting and then retrieving. There were trains passing on both sides of the river that provided a bit more distraction. I was not paying attention to my float when the rod was almost pulled out of my hands. The fish jumped 7 times while hauling it back towards Hope, went around the big rock and cut me off in the blink of an eye and before I could respond. I turned and asked "Did you see that"? George responded "what". He had not seen or heard anything as it happened so fast. Fred just nodded his head, laughed and said "You guys should probably pay more attention" to the both of us.

hahhahaha .. Such a Fred response. :D I always remember Fred in the log Cabin at his table and would give use regulars that BIg butt smile when we walk in and had one of the best laughs :D ... then of of course there was always the secert Float deals in the parking lot from the back of his black SS car :) good thing the RCMP were not around or they thought some sort of drug deal was going down :) :)

hahhahaha .. Such a Fred response. :D I always remember Fred in the log Cabin at his table and would give use regulars that BIg butt smile when we walk in and had one of the best laughs :D ... then of of course there was always the secert Float deals in the parking lot from the back of his black SS car :) good thing the RCMP were not around or they thought some sort of drug deal was going down :) :)
Yes those float special deals were great, especially after several cold and frosty ones

Ya.. i still have a pile of them myself.... doubt they will ever float on the Thompson agian😕 I see u have a few of the stick versions before he moved up to the plastic stick version. Such a great float 😀

Last edited:
Another THompson story .

This was just after the World Trade Center terrorist attack. My wife at the time decided she needed a divorce to be truly happy and just to show she meant business, she invited me to leave my/our house ( it was Christmas Eve)

You can imagine how grand I felt. My two daughters with wide open eyes, wondering what was going on. All the presents under the tree.

I drove over to a rental house I had. It was empty, in between renters, but it was where I stored my camper. I remember thinking at the time I could feel just as crappy up on the THompson as I could feel back in SEattle so I loaded the camper on my truck and made a run for the border.

I get to Sumas and of course I immediately get asked for my Passport, it being just 3 months after the Trade Center attack---all the borders were on high alert.

I start ransacking my truck ...no passport. I get a glass of ice water type chill down my back---It's back in my bedroom in the house I used to live in with my wife and two daughters. No freaking passport! And if I called my wife to ask for her help she would have burst out laughing---my fishing habit being one of the prime reasons our relationship went sideways

The border guy is watching me get more and more distressed as I'm ripping and tearing. We both knew quite clearly I didn't have my Passport with me

So where are you going, he asks.

I'm going to Spences Bridge.

To do what, he asks.

To fish, I respond.

On Christmas Eve????, he asks.

I look him in the eye.

Yes on Christmas Eve. We hold eye contact for what seemed like an eternity

Go ahead across he says.

He knew. He absolutely knew. I didn't have to say a word

As I got on RT 1 to Hope I remember thinking....well, lucky you ....getting across the border but it's going to be very interesting trying to get back into the U.S. without a passport. I got philosophical and decided that wolf would be waiting at my door whether I stressed out about it or not so I decided to just shut up and fish.

SO I basically had the river to myself and it turned out to be one of the best Thompson trips I ever took.

This was Christmas day, launching at BigHorn. It was cold and quiet, just the way I liked it

IMG_0439.jpeg

IMG_0032.jpeg

On Boxing Day I was up above Martel. The sky got black. Like absolutely pitch black. I'd never seen anything like that before on the THompson. I heard a peal of thunder then saw a huge tine of lightening . I hunkered behind a rock with my dog and for the next 10 minutes it sounded like the world was ending----huge hail stones, endless cracks of thunder and lightening, crazy wind. Then just as fast as it started, it stopped. Dead quiet, like it never happened.

I stood up, stripped out some line, made a cast just under my rod tip. Instant fish.....a 10 pound doe. I turn her loose, cast out maybe 20 feet, instant fish, a 12 pound doe. So three more casts, 3 more fish, all within 50 feet of shore. Five fish in 5 casts.

I sat in my camper that night with my guitar, singing Christmas carols at Martel. The trains going by my camper and the roar of Martel rapids were the most marvelous sounds I'd ever heard

I would have loved to have had the border patrol guy in for a drink. Maybe two.

He knew. He just knew.

Last edited:
Nooooo.. not allowed in this thread.. don’t forget, this was many years ago lol

Awesome pic! We had one of those hat that covers the ears from the T storms and chill winds.

Awesome pic! Thats a slap! Look at that tail! 20 lb or so?

Last edited:
Nice fish! Scrambling up and down those rocks, steep slopes and dodging trains are an adventure itself! Well done. I preferred to chilled with the big crowd in Little Italy. lol

I was thinking about Don owner of the Thompson RV prior to the Chimney fire destroying his place. We stayed in his basement for a few years admiring his collection of Arizona turquoise ornaments as well as sharing a few beers, appetizers and reminiscing about what could have been. What a character, never saw him without his shredded house coat, slippers, his little tummy and grease stained tee shirt. Overtime we negotiated at a very reasonable rate a site to leave my buddies travel trailer and our pontoon boats. Very generous of him.
Made our way directly across from the site and even though not a biggy caught this guy at the first tail out b4 floating the river.
Notice the cut hand. Lol

Attachments

• img_1409 (2).jpeg
    img_1409 (2).jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I have never fished the Thompson but my father inlaw was a steel heading legend back in the day. We started fly fishing in the interior together when I met his daughter and heard a story on every bend of the river the entire drive up. Listening the the passion and seeing his smile while telling these stories gives me an idea of how amazing it must have been. He sold dental equipment in his day and travelled all of BC with rod in the vehicle everywhere he went. Over 90 years old now and still telling stories. He was a member of the "King Fishers" Anyone remember them?

I have never fished the Thompson but my father inlaw was a steel heading legend back in the day. We started fly fishing in the interior together when I met his daughter and heard a story on every bend of the river the entire drive up. Listening the the passion and seeing his smile while telling these stories gives me an idea of how amazing it must have been. He sold dental equipment in his day and travelled all of BC with rod in the vehicle everywhere he went. Over 90 years old now and still telling stories. He was a member of the "King Fishers" Anyone remember them?
I knew a few Kingfishers. Care to share his name?

His name is Larry Maxwell.
So many great stories from the past. On the Thompson and many other places all over BC.

Back