Thompson River Stories: Share Yours!

Sharphooks

I was talking to a friend of mine today who put alot of time in on the THompson with a guy he knew from the Lower Mainland. We agreed we should all sit down and have a drink some time and talk about those days, if for no other reason then to drill it into our heads that we should cherish what we have today and never forget to not take our good fortune for granted because we absolutely could lose it all tomorrow.

Skeena steelheaders: are you listening?

As it appears some guys who contribute to this Site also have some stories to tell about the days they spent fishing on the THompson, I thought I'd start a thread where people can chime in with a story or two of their own.

I'll go first.

Back in the mid 70's and early 80's I drove past the THompson many times on my way to Skeena country. I was a fly fisherman. I was having crazy good success up on the Skeena tributaries so that's where I went. I'd look down at the THompson from the highway and tell myself---nah, too big, too far across, no way could I get fish on a fly out of something that wide and fast. And all I ever saw were gear guys with huge rods making 40 meter casts to get their fish. So I drove past it for 9 or 10 years and didn't know (or care) what I was missing

Then one day in 1984 I stopped in Spences Bridge and figured I'd give it a go. Back in those days I fished a 14 foot bamboo double handed rod I'd picked up on a trip to London to visit my family. I paid 40 pounds for the rod. In today's dollars that was about $ 80. It was heavy but it sure was cool catching steelhead on it and it was a pretty cool conversation piece. This was way before the spey guys showed up or even had heard the word or knew what it meant

The gear guys I met on the THompson were some of the most generous helpful fishermen I ever met. They saw this wierd dude with the beret and the long rod and maybe thought I wasn't going to do too much damage so they decided to throw me a bone. Or two.

My first couple of years fishing the THompson they ended up throwing me lots of bones and holy mackerel, I immediaterly started hooking fish. And I was really lucky because the year I decided to start fishing the Thompson was a low-water year with a strong return

I never saw fly fishermen in those days. BUt I was full of confidence because all of a sudden the river didn't look so big and imposing any more. Gear guys would invite me to fish below them....no problem. I learned all the high % spots: Gospel Rock, the 11 o'clock hole, Jade Springs, Shaw, Gold Pan, Murray Creek, the Rockpile.

One guy put his hand over his mouth in a secretive manner and told me about a spot below Martel rapids that could be a producer. With zero hesitation I got my girlfiend into the truck and we headed up the highway and hiked down to the spot I thought he was referring to.

image0.jpeg

Long story short, the water was fast, like really fast, and I decided to put a sink tip on, a line choice that up until then I hadn't tried because the rocks could be so snaggy

Instantly I get a take-down. Like the rod is almost pulled out of my hands type take-down. I turn to my girlfriend and ask her to get the camera ready because it rolled and showed its shoulders and I knew I'd hooked into a high teen, maybe a low 20 buck.

The hook up was just below that rock in the picture. Not sure if you guys know where John's Rock is....basically opposite the mouth of the NIcola. That's where I finally put that fish on the beach. Easily a 2 kilometer chase. And during that chase I was forced to stick to the railroad tracks because there is zero beach in that part of the river, just huge chunks of rip rap that would kill you if you tried to go down to the water and hop from rock to rock while chasing a fish.

So that left me with a huge heavy fly rod that I had to pass around at least 20 or 30 wiring poles along the tracks, dodging trains that went by. It was an absolutely crazy experience, especially having an easy hundred yards of line out on that fish the entire fight. Once they get into the middle of the river, forget about putting the screws in....you have to chase or you lose what you got.

An hour later I got that fish. I'd never seen anything like that before in my steelhead experience and I'd caught a large pile of big Skeena fish over the years. But nothing like that Thompson fish. A fish taking that amount of line so fast and with such firmness of purpose. Unreal!

Yes, in those days you could keep your fish. I kept that buck. I'm not sure if I could have revived it....it fought that hard and that long. But admittedly, I didn't try. I wanted that fish. It was a religeous experience and I wanted the wafer soaking on my tongue

It was a long walk back upstream to my rig, I was drenched with sweat, totally spent, but I knew I had just formed an amazing relationship with the THompson and wasn't ever going to quit that river. I made friends with local Spences Bridge folks. I started spending Christmas there. I fished until March when you still still do that. I'd go up and back 4 or 5 times every season. My girlfriend and I would sleep in the back of my Toyota when it was -2 C. Both my daughters are named after rapids on that river. To this day it's the most amazing spot I've ever been to. The energy is overwhelming.

And meanwhile, every time I hear the mournful peal of a train whistle I get a wonderful feeling in the pit of my stomach. But then it's not so wonderful anymore when I remember that we pissed it all away.

God, we just lost so much. I did not think it would happen in my lifetime but here we are

IMG_5499.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s before cellphone and digital camera days..will have to dig up some print photos.

Yup, John’s rock, someone called Ron’s rock, maybe I was thinking the rock a bit down from your spot, lol. Gotten quite a few from there. What a magical place. Both side of the Nicola.

Well, sorry to disagree with you about sharing lol.. As a fellow gear fisherman those guys were tight lipped to us. lol. I remembered many mornings have to be there an hour to an hour and half before day lights to get a prime spot in little Italy, that beautiful spot below the Nicola, which always holds fish.

I think gear guys were more willing to share to fellow fly guys than other gear guys. lol
Maybe we think the fly guys can’t reach 150 feet lies out there but the beauty of the T is fish can lay only a few feet from shore to 500 feet out in the middle of river. After a good morning of fishing, we sat down to have a break and have some lunch. Was talking to a newbie friend about the fish in the T is so different because they can lay right next your feet to all the way in the middle of the heaviest current in mid river. We were sitting down on the shore below little Italy in the middle of the afternoon and I flicked a cast out maybe 10 feet away from shore, not 10-15 feet down in the drift, hooked and landed a beauty doe around 12 lbs. Needless to say, he was stunned.

Last edited:
That’s before cellphone and digital camera days..will have to dig up some print photos.

Yup, John’s rock, someone called Ron’s rock, maybe I was thinking the rock a bit down from your spot, lol. Gotten quite a few from there. What a magical place. Both side of the Nicola.

Well, sorry to disagree with you about sharing lol.. As a fellow gear fisherman those guys were tight lipped to us. lol. I remembered many mornings have to be there an hour to an hour and half before day lights to get a prime spot in little Italy, that beautiful spot below the Nicola, which always holds fish.

I think gear guys were more willing to share to fellow fly guys than other gear guys. lol
Maybe we think the fly guys can’t reach 150 feet lies out there but the beauty of the T is fish can lay only a few feet from shore to 500 feet out in the middle of river. After a good morning of fishing, we sat down to have a break and have some lunch. Was talking to a newbie friend about the fish in the T is so different because they can lay right next your feet to all the way in the middle of the heaviest current in mid river. We were sitting down on the shore below little Italy in the middle of the afternoon and I flicked a cast out maybe 10 feet away from shore, not 10-15 feet down in the drift, hooked and landed a beauty doe around 12 lbs. Needless to say, he was stunned.
I got a hawg on a hung over miscast at the mouth of the Nicolas mid morning. Zero skill involved. Ended my day with one even bigger in a severe wind storm, last light inside the big rock at Lytton. My best day ever for size. Partied particularly Hard that night. Was day 19 of my 25 day shift living in a camper

Last edited:
The first time I went steelhead fishing to the Thompson River in 1983 is a story in itself.

I was in my early 20s from the Kootenays and had never fished for steelhead and only once unsuccessfully for salmon in a river. My uncle was an avid fisherman from the Boundary Country who had fished the Thompson many times and got me really excited about his stories of this special place.

As we drove down HWY #8 he turned off before we even saw the Thompson. It was one of those sunny, frosty mornings in late October.

As we drove under the rail bridge over the Nicola River I caught my first quick glimpse of the big river. As we topped the rise above that iconic run, looking down from above, I saw 25+ people standing about 20 or so feet apart and a steelhead jumping way out of the water time after time, gleaming in the sun, as it ran through the run in front of the other fishermen. This was my first steelhead fishing experience!

Needless to say, I was hooked. I can still see this scene in my mind as clear as the moment it happened those many years ago.

I did land my first steelhead on this trip after 3 days of relentless casting. This was a 19lb 14oz hen that was hooked midway down the Nicola run and landed down around the corner and in a soft spot in the riprap below the rail crossing on an 8 1/2' Fenwick rod and a Mitchell 306 coffee grinder. As mentioned by Sharphooks above, this fish was taken as this was the way it was at the time.

This was the start of my many years fishing there. I have so many stories of this magical place. It seems that something special happened on every trip.

Thompson fish were special.
I used to Bottom bounce for them with a #2 hook and loose row. Amazing how they would launch out of water when you stung them. Spooled many times at Martel if they got below the big pool.

Basque Ranch.....I had just released a beauty doe and the buck grabbed my fly on the next cast....that explains the shiat-eating grin

IMG_2007.jpeg

That grin didn't last long..... I did a crappy job of securing my boat....just after I turned that buck loose a gust of wind pulled my inflatable off the beach, the anchor popped loopse, and off she went down stream....

I made a heroic cast with my fly, got lucky, and hooked one of the ropes strung from the pontoons ....15 lb maxima saved the day and swung the boat out of the current back to the beach.....in those days there were zero boats and zero people in that part of the river.....it would have been a really long walk back to Spences Bridge!

IMG_0758 (1).jpeg

Ya I was on the river when a younger fellow had raft blow away ..I believe he went swimming to get it ...sadly didnt make it..😕

Ya I was on the river when a younger fellow had raft blow away ..I believe he went swimming to get it ...sadly didnt make it..😕
Yeah, it was a shock when the news of Doug going missing hit Campbell River. He had worked at the old River Sportsman so lots knew him. Never found.

Wow, I was just thinking about that mishap today after posting that picture of my inflatable just below Martel. The most bizarre trip I ever took to the T..... funny you guys bring it up!

I arrived in SB and I remember immediately feeling like something was "off", something just didn't feel right. The feeling was so palpable I shivered.

I went up to Martel to launch my inflatable because in those days, that was where I'd started going once the lower river got so busy with people.

There was a whole family on Martel beach, just standing there, staring out at the river. Once I started pulling my inflatable out of my camper, a gal came up to me and asked if I'd help them get their inflatable back to the beach. It was downstream on an island, an island that typically didn't show itself until December once the river dropped. I could see there was a guy down there messing with it and he had a grappling iron

Once I got launched, I motored down to the island and saw the raft had swamped. He asked me if I'd tow it back to the beach. I got him into my inflatable and I heard the story as I slowly motored back upsteam. Him and his buddy had been out on the island the day before, fishing. A gust of wind had blown the inflatable off the island into the river (NOT TIED DOWN!!! NOT WEIGHTED DOWN WITH ROCKS INSIDE!!!)

His buddy went into the river to try and get the bow line. He slipped on the greasy rocks and his friend watched him go off downstream when his waders filled up..... He drowned right in front of his friend's eyes! The next gust of wind blew the inflable back to the island.....a tragic chain of events for sure

All the people back at Martel were the drowned guy's sister, mother and father and some friends. I couldn't help it but I got a bit brutal on the guy. I sort of snapped. His raft was complete junk and in so many words I asked what they'd been doing in such a raft on such a big unpredictable river. And why hadn't they thought of tying it securely or weighing it down with rocks? And meanwhile that junky inflatable was sawing back and forth in the current as I tried towing it back to Martel and was compromising the safety of my inflatable. This amped me up even more. I'd been doing what they did for many years with one of my 8 foot inflatables and I ALWAYS threw rocks in it due precisely to unforeseen gusts of wind. Why couldn't they have figured that out?

Like I said, I lost it. It really made me angry that a young kid had drowned over such a STUPID mistake. Then I realized how totally out of line I was. Making comments like that in front of a guy who'd just lost his best friend???? But in my defense, I had seen more and more cracker moves on that river as more and more youngsters showed up, usually newbie fly boys, totally oblivious to how dangerous the Thompson can be. And here was one of them compromising the safety of my inflatable

So I got him and his yellow rubber duck back to the beach and felt like it was time to withdraw, especially after being sharp with the guy under those circumstances. And then he completely floored me by asking if I'd go back with him to the island with a grappling hook. As calmly as I could, I told him that since his friend had gone off downstream the day before, he was probably on his way to Lytton, maybe even Boston Bar. ....there was no way that he was still above Martel rapids and throwing a grappling hook would be useless

By then I'd completely lost the urge to fish and I knew I had to let these people grieve in peace. I pulled my boat out of the water and drove back to SB.

So the story doesn't end quite yet

The next morning, I was fishing the Hotel Run. I was standing directly under a set of power lines that were strung across the river. Then I hear the kachunk-kachunk-kachunk of a chopper coming upstream, directly in the center of the river. I could see both the pilot and his spotter had their eyes glued on the river---they were looking for the body, no doubt. Then I see the trajectory of the chopper in relation to the power lines. OMG, the pilot doesn't see them, they are going to plow right into them!

Right in front of me, clear as day, I see the rotors disintegrate when they struck the cable. There were spurts of shrapnel from the rotor splashing into the river all around me in a big halo. Then the entire cable dropped like a ton of bricks into the river, missing me iterally by inches as I'd been standing directly under them. And by then I'm thinking.... God, I'm going to see a chopper crash into the middle of the Thompson River!

That's not the way it went down. Pitching and yawing and spinning on its axis, that pilot actually got the chopper back over to the opposite beach and got it unceremoniously down onto the rocks with just stubs for rotors.

I know some of you guys will think I was nuts coming down on the friend of the drowned guy like I did but if those two chopper guys had crashed in the middle of the river and died, that would have been a huge price to pay for a crappy inflatable raft and two young kids who should have known better to tier their raft more securely (says the guy who just described above how he almost lost his own infatable)

I just told that story to the chopper pilot who flew me out of the Damdochax a few weeks ago. He was incredulous that the pilot had landed his chopper without rotors

Meanwhile, I never heard if they found the poor guy who drowned

Last edited:

I just read eroyd's comments a bit closer and see that no, they never found the body....really sad for mom and dad and sis and his friends...didn't know he was from C.R.

Yeah, it was a shock when the news of Doug going missing hit Campbell River. He had worked at the old River Sportsman so lots knew him. Never found.
Ya... most of use spend the afternoon checking the river out.. a real tragic for sure...

Doug is one of the guys that the then existing SSBC branch here built the rest area on the Quinsam for. It's called Eric's Riffle as his loss was the original inspiration for building it, and then Doug happened.
Very sad time here for those who knew him.
I got to know his parents a bit back then and probably wrote the cheque that paid to rent a chopper to search for Doug's body one weekend.

Here's the newly re-roofed memorial.

DSCN8012.JPG

Sad memory.

Take care.

I didn't fish the Thompson much but one time I was with John and Dave Mair at Goldpan ... Dave and I were casting to reach mid river while John watched for a minute or so, then flipped out about 10 feet and caught a 24 lb doe. Learned a lesson that day!

Last edited:
Wow, I was just thinking about that mishap today after posting that picture of my inflatable just below Martel. The most bizarre trip I ever took to the T..... funny you guys bring it up!

I arrived in SB and I remember immediately feeling like something was "off", something just didn't feel right. The feeling was so palpable I shivered.

I went up to Martel to launch my inflatable because in those days, that was where I'd started going once the lower river got so busy with people.

There was a whole family on Martel beach, just standing there, staring out at the river. Once I started pulling my inflatable out of my camper, a gal came up to me and asked if I'd help them get their inflatable back to the beach. It was downstream on an island, an island that typically didn't show itself until December once the river dropped. I could see there was a guy down there messing with it and he had a grappling iron

Once I got launched, I motored down to the island and saw the raft had swamped. He asked me if I'd tow it back to the beach. I got him into my inflatable and I heard the story as I slowly motored back upsteam. Him and his buddy had been out on the island the day before, fishing. A gust of wind had blown the inflatable off the island into the river (NOT TIED DOWN!!! NOT WEIGHTED DOWN WITH ROCKS INSIDE!!!)

His buddy went into the river to try and get the bow line. He slipped on the greasy rocks and his friend watched him go off downstream when his waders filled up..... He drowned right in front of his friend's eyes! The next gust of wind blew the inflable back to the island.....a tragic chain of events for sure

All the people back at Martel were the drowned guy's sister, mother and father and some friends. I couldn't help it but I got a bit brutal on the guy. I sort of snapped. His raft was complete junk and in so many words I asked what they'd been doing in such a raft on such a big unpredictable river. And why hadn't they thought of tying it securely or weighing it down with rocks? And meanwhile that junky inflatable was sawing back and forth in the current as I tried towing it back to Martel and was compromising the safety of my inflatable. This amped me up even more. I'd been doing what they did for many years with one of my 8 foot inflatables and I ALWAYS threw rocks in it due precisely to unforeseen gusts of wind. Why couldn't they have figured that out?

Like I said, I lost it. It really made me angry that a young kid had drowned over such a STUPID mistake. Then I realized how totally out of line I was. Making comments like that in front of a guy who'd just lost his best friend???? But in my defense, I had seen more and more cracker moves on that river as more and more youngsters showed up, usually newbie fly boys, totally oblivious to how dangerous the Thompson can be. And here was one of them compromising the safety of my inflatable

So I got him and his yellow rubber duck back to the beach and felt like it was time to withdraw, especially after being sharp with the guy under those circumstances. And then he completely floored me by asking if I'd go back with him to the island with a grappling hook. As calmly as I could, I told him that since his friend had gone off downstream the day before, he was probably on his way to Lytton, maybe even Boston Bar. ....there was no way that he was still above Martel rapids and throwing a grappling hook would be useless

By then I'd completely lost the urge to fish and I knew I had to let these people grieve in peace. I pulled my boat out of the water and drove back to SB.

So the story doesn't end quite yet

The next morning, I was fishing the Hotel Run. I was standing directly under a set of power lines that were strung across the river. Then I hear the kachunk-kachunk-kachunk of a chopper coming upstream, directly in the center of the river. I could see both the pilot and his spotter had their eyes glued on the river---they were looking for the body, no doubt. Then I see the trajectory of the chopper in relation to the power lines. OMG, the pilot doesn't see them, they are going to plow right into them!

Right in front of me, clear as day, I see the rotors disintegrate when they struck the cable. There were spurts of shrapnel from the rotor splashing into the river all around me in a big halo. Then the entire cable dropped like a ton of bricks into the river, missing me iterally by inches as I'd been standing directly under them. And by then I'm thinking.... God, I'm going to see a chopper crash into the middle of the Thompson River!

That's not the way it went down. Pitching and yawing and spinning on its axis, that pilot actually got the chopper back over to the opposite beach and got it unceremoniously down onto the rocks with just stubs for rotors.

I know some of you guys will think I was nuts coming down on the friend of the drowned guy like I did but if those two chopper guys had crashed in the middle of the river and died, that would have been a huge price to pay for a crappy inflatable raft and two young kids who should have known better to tier their raft more securely (says the guy who just described above how he almost lost his own infatable)

I just told that story to the chopper pilot who flew me out of the Damdochax a few weeks ago. He was incredulous that the pilot had landed his chopper without rotors

Meanwhile, I never heard if they found the poor guy who drowned
This story brings back so many memerious.... As one that actually ran one of thoses rafts (yellow version) then grey /blue version with a rowing frame for many years Squamish river mainly and the early years on the Thompson.. However its was about that time of this is when I actually layed out some real money for a A real raft.. As we got older we actually thought about the what if also started to wear a Life jacket on the Thompson when I pulled on the oars.. Put a lot miles on that raft rowing over to the Island, the Horn or Drift from Gold pan to the Tin shack.... Loved the water line :)

Attachments

• 20231207_103756.jpg
    20231207_103756.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 20231207_103731.jpg
    20231207_103731.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 55
There were some real cowboys on the THompson. Not sure if you knew Rick Olmstead? He used to go through the rapids at Shaw in an inflable that maybe was 8 feet long....totally overpowered for the size of the raft...one day I saw him hit a wave, get thrown out of his raft, and somehow get back in without flipping it.

I was fishing the river that paticular day when that happened he was indeed very luck that day. :)
Fished with Rick from time time, this was one of the days when my wife and I jumped into his tin boat for an afternoon fish.. :) He was a good man...

Attachments

• 20231207_135455.jpg
    20231207_135455.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 20231207_135523.jpg
    20231207_135523.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Back