Thompson R. Coho

reelfast

for the second year in a row, WDFW has imposed a mark selective fishery along JDF. the reason given is to protect the Thompson R. Coho runs. last september we were sorting fish every day trying to find a few clipped fish. as i read your regulations i am not seeing any special considerations being given to Thompson fish. have i missed something?

my suspecion is that this mark selective rule is being imposed to protect unclipped tribal hatchery fish but i will await your word regarding how you folks are impacted.

thanks for taking the time.

Wonder if the WDFW have made a request?

reelfast: We have had restrictions to protect the Thompson River coho on the Canadin side of JDF for many years (more than 10 I'm sure). The coho are expected to pass our waters mid-August to mid-September I believe. We have a limit of 2 hatchery only coho per day from June 1 to October 1st, and only in recent years have we been allowed 1 wild (unmarked) coho per day after October 1st (and 3 hatchery in area 20 - Sooke last year). It is expected that all Thompson coho are past our waters by October 1.

...Rob

The barbless hook and hatchery coho only regs in BC were introduced as a means to release those s Thompson cohos. A few years ago DFO wanted to change that because they felt the fish couldn't be saved and the native said they would road block the trans Canada hiway at Kamloops if they did. The Feds backed down cuz they were afraid of another oka

Back