Thompson open

Yup...had to love the hot water heating that Bill had.........good memories...a easy to the log cabin...... :)

Last time I checked when I walked through the doors of the Log Cabin PUB it was a PUB, not someone's house. Do you think the Pub around the corner from a construction site tells every patron to take off their work boots before sitting down? Nope!! They say, "Thanks for the business, please come again!"

Yes "my woman" lets me wear waders inside the house. Keep going Tofino Osprey. As a business owner who displays his company web address in hoping to gather more business, you are doing a great job. Thanks for the laugh this morning, not that I needed it. I'm going fishing, coming home wet, to no complaints!! Haha. Pass the popcorn...

I'm not trying garner any business from this site, just identifying myself.

Hopefully the Log Cabin can survive without your business. ;)

Be careful laughing while eating popcorn....it can be dangerous

I was afraid ,that was going to happen.Sad to hear,that piece of news.But not surprising its turning into a Vedder river gong show.
That's funny, I remember that exact same discussion in the mid 90's.
.I heard of fights there last yr between the feather and fur flingers vs the gut chuckers. I guess the days of common courtesy and anglers respecting each other up there are gone.
oh yeah well....thats 'cause he started it

rln,

What happen to the old owner at circle j? Did Bill passed away :(
He is always grouchy but we always get along just fine! Cabin 12 With the ketchen unit will always hold some special memories. Will missed that guy :( He never gave us a definite yes or no when booking but there was always a room reserve when we show up :)

Have not being up there for a few years and sure missed her.

HS.

think he just got old and decided it was time to move closer to a town with a hospital.

The commercial interests in Spences Bridge absolutely are a fly in MOE's ointment--they are both relentless and effective in their letter writing campaigns. Their suggestion was to have a regular season (01 October to year-end) with an orderly ebb and flow of fishermen instead of the histrionic pulse fishery we have today (with accompanying fish fights) ---totally predictable for an "Opening Day" on the River of Hype.

That is not to say this fishery should even be open, though I'll admit, I'm conflicted---I have some really good friends in SB and who am I to say they shouldn't be allowed to fish in their back yard to prosecute a C&R fishery?

I do have some convictions about what's going on up there, however:

In the 80's I fished there from October to March (up until the late 80's when the Jan-March fishery was finally shut down---good move)

I used to fish from Lytton to Savona and everywhere in between. I never fished gear in that river (bait or otherwise) because I never had to--I got more then enough fish on a fly. And back in those days you had at least as good a chance to get a fish at the mouth of the Nic as you did in the Black Canyon or at Juniper Beach. Not anymore.

From what I've seen, the Deadman/Bonaparte fish have been extirpated---there's not enough spawning pairs left in the upper reaches of the T to wad a shotgun.

What's sad is the only part left of the flickering T flame are Nic fish and those are the ones the "sportsmen" are having fist fights over.

No doubt that by 31 December, some of those Nic fish will have been hooked and re-hooked a dozen times.

That is the soft underbelly of MOE's argument to open up a fishery on a population that probably is not even close to 1,000 fish. The truth is, MOE doesn't have a freaking clue how big the spawning population of T fish is. The decision to opened it up on 01 November was way more a response to the SB commercial interest squeaky wheels demanding an opening then it was to any kind of a reliable argument supporting a resource robust enough to support a fishery, C&R or otherwise.

What is a stone-cold wonder to me when I contemplate the T fishery:

1)) allowing the use of bait ---I mean, WTF????? and;
2)) The brain-dead fly-boys who think it's cool to stumble around with 6 wt. rods, proclaiming that they're just chasing "trout" , and that this choice of flimsy gear somehow gives them a guilt free white-card to pound a dying resource

The bait? It kills rainbows---I've seen that lots of times over the years, but first and foremost, it flies in the face of logic when you're unleashing a horde of heavy-hookers on such a flimsy resource.

The 6 wt.? It's just as effective in hooking a big fish as a 15 foot 10 wt. , with the added luxury of beating the crap out of that fish when fighting it and pumping it full of lactic acid by the time the fight's over. All that for soliciting a bag of misguided bragging rights that somehow the fly-boy sporting the flea-stick pulled off a huge feat of macho bravery.

The whole show is pretty sad. And MOE doesn't have two nickels to rub together to do anything more then nothing

Last edited by a moderator:
As RIn said.. Show me where any type of C&R sportfishing for steelhead has wiped out a steelhead run so its not about gear?...The bigger question to be asked is why isn't more habitat work been done and the biggest question of all...the fish need more water in all the system up there but instead all the water in the summer is beening used to water the alf alfa fields... no water ,no habitat equals no little fish that grow up to be bigger fish....my two bits... :)

Don't worry about it. No one really does as all they do is talk. No real action as the residents of Spences Bridge have shown.
Money is a great motivator and the fish are open because of it.
As to there is no water or habitat that is because no one or group really fights for it but the farmers.

The commercial interests in Spences Bridge absolutely are a fly in MOE's ointment--they are both relentless and effective in their letter writing campaigns. Their suggestion was to have a regular season (01 October to year-end) with an orderly ebb and flow of fishermen instead of the histrionic pulse fishery we have today (with accompanying fish fights) ---totally predictable for an "Opening Day" on the River of Hype.

That is not to say this fishery should even be open, though I'll admit, I'm conflicted---I have some really good friends in SB and who am I to say they shouldn't be allowed to fish in their back yard to prosecute a C&R fishery?

I do have some convictions about what's going on up there, however:

In the 80's I fished there from October to March (up until the late 80's when the Jan-March fishery was finally shut down---good move)

I used to fish from Lytton to Savona and everywhere in between. I never fished gear in that river (bait or otherwise) because I never had to--I got more then enough fish on a fly. And back in those days you had at least as good a chance to get a fish at the mouth of the Nic as you did in the Black Canyon or at Juniper Beach. Not anymore.

From what I've seen, the Deadman/Bonaparte fish have been extirpated---there's not enough spawning pairs left in the upper reaches of the T to wad a shotgun.

What's sad is the only part left of the flickering T flame are Nic fish and those are the ones the "sportsmen" are having fist fights over.

No doubt that by 31 December, some of those Nic fish will have been hooked and re-hooked a dozen times.

That is the soft underbelly of MOE's argument to open up a fishery on a population that probably is not even close to 1,000 fish. The truth is, MOE doesn't have a freaking clue how big the spawning population of T fish is. The decision to opened it up on 01 November was way more a response to the SB commercial interest squeaky wheels demanding an opening then it was to any kind of a reliable argument supporting a resource robust enough to support a fishery, C&R or otherwise.

What is a stone-cold wonder to me when I contemplate the T fishery:

1)) allowing the use of bait ---I mean, WTF????? and;
2)) The brain-dead fly-boys who think it's cool to stumble around with 6 wt. rods, proclaiming that they're just chasing "trout" , and that this choice of flimsy gear somehow gives them a guilt free white-card to pound a dying resource

The bait? It kills rainbows---I've seen that lots of times over the years, but first and foremost, it flies in the face of logic when you're unleashing a horde of heavy-hookers on such a flimsy resource.

The 6 wt.? It's just as effective in hooking a big fish as a 15 foot 10 wt. , with the added luxury of beating the crap out of that fish when fighting it and pumping it full of lactic acid by the time the fight's over. All that for soliciting a bag of misguided bragging rights that somehow the fly-boy sporting the flea-stick pulled off a huge feat of macho bravery.

The whole show is pretty sad. And MOE doesn't have two nickels to rub together to do anything more then nothing

DFO has jurisdiction with regards to habitat protection and regulation and we all know the answer to that one: re-written legislation that makes it near impossible to deem any development or resource work "harmful", a 35% reduction in BC's Habitat staff (50% if you go back a decade) and only 5 junior regulatory positions left in the entire BC Interior! Thompson and it's tribs habitat will be going downhill fast in the next 5-10 years. Sad thing is, public raised more of a fuss over a freakin Coast Guard station for the richy riches in Kitsilano than over these changes and cuts! Perhaps we get what we deserve if we're not willing to put up a fight? For that matter, it seems there's a hundred times more passion over how many halibut we get to kill than ensuring habitat is protected to protect our freshwater and marine ecosystems!! That is truly sad!

It's all in the province hands...... :( as usual..... as for groups fighting it out regarding water leases...I'm personal all ears if you have a master plan?

DFO has jurisdiction with regards to habitat protection and regulation and we all know the answer to that one: re-written legislation that makes it near impossible to deem any development or resource work "harmful", a 35% reduction in BC's Habitat staff (50% if you go back a decade) and only 5 junior regulatory positions left in the entire BC Interior! Thompson and it's tribs habitat will be going downhill fast in the next 5-10 years. Sad thing is, public raised more of a fuss over a freakin Coast Guard station for the richy riches in Kitsilano than over these changes and cuts! Perhaps we get what we deserve if we're not willing to put up a fight? For that matter, it seems there's a hundred times more passion over how many halibut we get to kill than ensuring habitat is protected to protect our freshwater and marine ecosystems!! That is truly sad!

Steelhead are MOE not DFO's responsibility. However, whatever interest there is, if any, from DFO on habitat restoration for Salmon on the Ts tribs, Steelhead could also benefit as they inhabit many of the same spawning grounds, albeit at different times of the years.

I hear regarding DFO as you are aware the interior coho havent improved the last 10 years either due to the same issue..no water or habitat.. :(

When it comes to fishery mgmt, MOE is responsible for steelhead, along with other resident fishes, BGM but habitat management for all fish - the 5 pacific salmon and all resident fish species is federal jurisdiction, i.e. DFO, in both freshwater and marine environments. Why do you think there used to be a significant Habitat program in the BC Interior, which, sadly is now cut? Astonishes me that folks who love the resource, particularly sport anglers, know so little about how it's managed and I'm talking universally not picking on you BGM!

Regarding water management, as many of you likely know the Provincial Water Act is currently being rewritten and, up until the recent DFO Habitat staff cuts announced, DFO has been advocating for fish to ensure the amendments don't further reduce minimum flow needs for fish. As many of you may also know there are quite a few water license applications on the Nicola and Nicola Lake that have been held in abeyance by the Province because of DFO Habitat assessments that any further flow reductions would result in the HADD of fish habitat. DFO has also been the one stopping work at the Nicola Dam to allow further Nicola Lake withdrawals until an EA is completed and minimum flows for fish, specifically steelhead, are guaranteed. With the legislative changes to the Fisheries Act, cuts to Interior Habitat staff (not only cut from 19 positions to 5, but also cut from Senior Biologist positions to 5 entry level Bios) and amendments to the Water Act - who wants to bet that extra licenses are issued on the Nicola and the Nicola Lake Dam works proceed so even more water can be drawn from it over the next 5-10 years? Flows and temps in that system are already borderline for both salmon and steelhead. These changes don't bode well for the fishery resource!!

Fish have NO RIGHTS. They do not have the right to water, so the governments have taken it away for man.
People in general do not care about fish and will not vote for them.
Therefore the governments both provincially and federally have cut all the staff in these areas to nothing. It has been happening for years and now is pretty much done in.

Regarding water management, as many of you likely know the Provincial Water Act is currently being rewritten and, up until the recent DFO Habitat staff cuts announced, DFO has been advocating for fish to ensure the amendments don't further reduce minimum flow needs for fish. As many of you may also know there are quite a few water license applications on the Nicola and Nicola Lake that have been held in abeyance by the Province because of DFO Habitat assessments that any further flow reductions would result in the HADD of fish habitat. DFO has also been the one stopping work at the Nicola Dam to allow further Nicola Lake withdrawals until an EA is completed and minimum flows for fish, specifically steelhead, are guaranteed. With the legislative changes to the Fisheries Act, cuts to Interior Habitat staff (not only cut from 19 positions to 5, but also cut from Senior Biologist positions to 5 entry level Bios) and amendments to the Water Act - who wants to bet that extra licenses are issued on the Nicola and the Nicola Lake Dam works proceed so even more water can be drawn from it over the next 5-10 years? Flows and temps in that system are already borderline for both salmon and steelhead. These changes don't bode well for the fishery resource!!

I hear regarding DFO as you are aware the interior coho havent improved the last 10 years either due to the same issue..no water or habitat.. :(

Weren't those runs the main reason for wild coho release in the 1st place?

To "save" those fish?

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correct and they DFO have done nothing for the fish. They cut back fishing as it costs nothing to do.
Now there is no staff more dollars.

Weren't those runs the main reason for wild coho release in the 1st place?

To "save" those fish?

Back