Thinking of getting new transducer for hds7 gen2

Fisher_dude

Crew Member
My stock transducer pics up a lot of interference when I have the big motor running that it's hard to see anything, especially if I'm at any speed. Is the p66 that much better? I spend most of my time fishing the deeper interior lakes.

Buy the p66 its better then the lowrance 50/200 and way better then the 83/200 I have had many of both

I run a hds 7 gen 2 I have had a number of the hds units and I find the 7 works will for me. I will most likely buy a 2nd head unit a touch screen next year when I add radar

My stock transducer pics up a lot of interference when I have the big motor running that it's hard to see anything, especially if I'm at any speed. Is the p66 that much better? I spend most of my time fishing the deeper interior lakes.
before running out and buying another transducer you need to correct the issue at hand.
sounds more like an install/location issue, you may very well have the same issue with the P66 if you were to just mount it in the same location and run the cables the same way.
I have had many different transducers and interference is either from the transducer not being mounted in a clean location with no obstructions, turbulence, air bubbles, prop wash ect......
stay away from chines and water intakes and such that will cause dirty water(air bubbles/wash) issues.
also make sure the transducer cable stays away from other sources of electrical interference, route it away from other cables and electronics to eliminate this as well.
the stock transducers perform pretty well with no interference troubles if mounted correctly, once you have that all dialed in you may like it,
the P66 will only paint a better picture, both are very capable of the depths your after.
maybe post up a couple pictures showing your mounting location, i'm sure we can help out there as well

If the interference increases as the speed increases, makes me think that the transducer itself may not be the problem,but rather that the transducer is not mounted in the correct location. It is absolutely critical that the transducer be mounted in the best location and adjusted properly. I would check that first before purchasing the P66.

Hookin'up you beat me to it.

I'm interested in this too, please forgive minor thread hijack. I have HDS 7 with factory skimmer transducer mounted starboard side of transom. Reads well until over 20-22 mph then I lose bottom. Have played around a lot with tilt angle and satisfied I'm doing as well as possible on that front. Xducer is mounted between hull chines just past the minimum 12" off centre the install guide recommends.

Then I bought a HDI 4 to mount aft so I can see depth when trolling (I mostly sit on the transom). So I have a second xducer to mount, and I thought I'd try shooting from inside the hull. Do I need a special xducer for this or do I just remove the transom bracket from the one I have and go for it? I do have a promising location in my bilge, straight fibreglass hull, not a foam sandwich construction. Would be nice if I could have one ducer that would read bottom on plane to feed the HDS at the helm and the other sending signal to the smaller unit used when fishing. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
yes you can glue that directly to the inside of the hull and achieve good results, make sure to clean off any paint or gelcoat before sealing it down,
if you want to test the location first fill a baggie with water place ducer inside of it, tie off the top and place it in the location you want and see how it responds
or use a bed of clear marine silicone to stick it down make sure there are no air bubbles in the silicon, let it set up and give it a try,
I did this a year ago for my M260 as a temporary trial it weighs 13lbs and the silicon is still holding fast with no issues, I know I should stick it down permanently but....................lol

I think I'm in same boat right now I run a HDS 12 touch and it never marks arches like it should , and doesn't mark much while boat is moving not even very fast ... At first figured it was the transducer and I wanted to upgrade to the P66 but now I'm thinking it could be a mounting problem I had it done at a shop ...

I'm going to post some pics later today maybe someone with knowledge could tell me what they think for the mounting position for the transducers ...

Thanks for the advice, Hookin. I'll have a play with that this spring. Oh wait, it IS spring, never mind what the calendar says.

Everyone still pointing to the transducer and it location. You said it does this with the big motor. Does it do it with the kicker on? If it goes away with the kicker on then your charging circuit or transducer wire is picking up "junk".

I think I'm in same boat right now I run a HDS 12 touch and it never marks arches like it should , and doesn't mark much while boat is moving not even very fast ...
good luck with the Arches, lowrance over sold that a little, rumour has it they even built in a few too many in demo mode.
you may see good archs if your at anchor in shallow water and the fish is moving slowly thru your beam directly under your boat, add a little movement to that and the whole picture changes.
dont focus on trying to get good arches just good marks

Back