Think this is fake?

I tink it could be real. A friend here on Gabriola had this happen and the eagle eventually got tangled in the line and he had to reel him in and cut him free.

I agree totally plausible but there are c-gulls and e-gulls both of which I have seen many of. I see one of those coming at my stuff and he/she will be getting an earful long before it gets close. The reaction is that of a person who was not expecting it and he clearly is. It s just fishy to me.
Heres a clip I believe is from a moment before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1Sr-u8Yh8M

I've had eagles and osprey grab fish right behind the boat but never off the line, loons are a different story.

not fake at all eagles will even grab your chovie when your putting it out, we all probably have had lots of eagle experiences on the west coast or any where eagles are watching us playing with their food.

one for you birdy.....fishing tunars 2 years ago, aside from the 22 fish, we hooked up with two birds. One big gull, and what I think could have been a small albatros (I say small, but this bird was huge!). I brought the gull to the boat, I had hooked him in the neck with a barbless double tuna hook. He had no problem letting me wrangle him, remove the hook and unwrap the 200lb leader from his wings. He went about his business just fine.

The (possible) albatros was not nearly as welcoming. I got that big ******* to the boat and he was in for the fight. I tried to remove the leader from his wings but he was having none of it, snapping at me quite visciously. The first thing I saw was my knife, and his days were close to numbered lol (jokingly), maybe he saw me glance at the blade...but he took one more bite, right through the 200LB MONO! like it was nothing. I wouldn't believe it unless I was holding the bird when it happened, which I was. Crazy beak strength I tell ya! Not sure I'd be so willing to rescue an eagle, I'd sooner just cut the line as those talons and beak look like they could leave a mark!

Cool vid, thanks for the post.

Yup, looks real.

Buddy had an owl take his topwater bass gear last year while fishing late evening. It was in the TC because the owl got hooked in the talons and they had to take it to animal rescue to get hooks removed.
I have had seagulls on the line while puting out bait, my dad had a seagul get hooked while bucktailing way back, I even hooked a diving duck once right off the downrigger while trolling.
Everything you see on utube is real by the way.

Tips

I've had the privilege to rescue 2 eagles and surprisingly they are were not aggressive where as a seagull will go for your eyes the first chance it gets.

So albatrosses are nasty eh. Ill keep that in mind if I ever have to handle one. TFT

Viner point,,ten or so years ago had an eagle grab a cod that was flipping way back behind the boat... cut the line and the next day climbed up a 100' tree on reed island to recover my flasher that could be seen spinning from miles around.

I wouldn't say fake but likely staged in that they knew there was a hungry eagle and baited it with their little fish.

I don't think they just happened to be filming and the bird surprised them in this case but its certainly happened before.

What GDW said, not fake but staged, notice how the camera is already on the eagle...and there is no footage of the guy fighting the fish...
Also you don't actually see any line go out(or rod bend) so the sound of line being stripped could have been added to the vid.
There is also a previous vid if you look at his other vids...
Eagle fishing...is what it is :)

And he never shouted "EAGLE ON!!!" when he hooked it up. Tis what it is.

Back